Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

police clearance needed for visa but police wont help

• 30-08-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi

im applying for a visa to move abroad and i need police clearance. The garda website advises to apply to the local garda station so i went down with my application. They took a look at it and told me i needed to call the garda vetting unit as they deal with clearance for visa's. So i did and was promptly told that the local station is responsible for this, who when i returned didnt even look at my application and told me to call the vetting unit again.
    I really dont know what to do. Neither of them is willing to take responsibility for it, even tho im pretty sure its the local station as its says it on their own website and the citizens advice. I did tell them this but i just got told no, call the vetting unit :(

Just wondering has anyone applied for this before and did you have any hassle? Also how did you apply? I cant continue my visa application until i get this so its just sooo frustrating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

Yeh i got my clearance from my local station!what you need to do is write a letter to your local superintendant (whose name you get from the garda website)with your:

- Full name
    - Date of birth
    - Place of Birth
    - Current and all previous addresses in Ireland
    - Embassy/Consulate that the cert was for (in this case, the Canadian Consular Authorities)
    - a pre-addressed and stamped envelope i.e your address on the envelope so they can send the form out ta you.

will take a couple of weeks until they send out a cert saying you have no criminal convictions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I got mine form the local garda station too and they knew all about it. go down again to the station and have the vettig unit number on your cell, if the guy tells you to ring them tell them you did and were informed it was up to local station, if the garda insists then ring them there and then and let them speak to the garda. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

ZiMZuM wrote: »
    Yeh i got my clearance from my local station!what you need to do is write a letter to your local superintendant (whose name you get from the garda website)with your:

- Full name
    - Date of birth
    - Place of Birth
    - Current and all previous addresses in Ireland
    - Embassy/Consulate that the cert was for (in this case, the Canadian Consular Authorities)
    - a pre-addressed and stamped envelope i.e your address on the envelope so they can send the form out ta you.

will take a couple of weeks until they send out a cert saying you have no criminal convictions here.

Yep this is what me and my OH did both in different parts of the country.

What you seem to have there op is a lazy uninformed gard.

You can just ring up the station and ask for the name of the superintendent if you like. Then send the info above and if you don't hear anything in about 3 weeks then ring and ask to speak to him. see what the story is.
    From the reaction we got it seems that most gards are familiar with the procedure!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

thanks everyone.
    ive posted it to the district superintendent so hopefully this will at least get my application past the eejits on front desk ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mandy10

hi just wondering if anyone had to get police clearance cert from australia as i need it for canada.... how much it costs? how long it takes ect.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement