Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new phone on 3 / Meteor?

• 30-08-2009 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I'm looking for new handset, currently on 3 but due an upgrade. So what is the best handset to get?

I want MSN Messenger, easy facebook, bebo, twitter and email access, a decent web browser, decent music player with a cool looking and easy to use UI.

Also same question but on Meteor network? Whats best handset on Meteor i can get and will i be able to use MSN Messenger on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Never mentioned what handset you currently have

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

oh i have an inq1 on 3. its not good in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I have an E71 on 3 and I love it. Great for internet and email :)

i don't doubt that the E71 is a great phone, guess i wanted something more top of the range now, thinking of touch screen maybe?

I like the look of the N97, ie touchscreen, qwerty keyboard and 32gb internal memory but guess there are question marks over the OS and UI?

The 5800 looks alrite but would be a step back from N97.

I like the look of the Samsung Tocco Ultra but lacks some features i want in my next phone ie, 3g, wifi etc.

Really like the look of the forthcoming Palm Pre has all features i want (except maybe expandable memory) but looks unlikely to be coming to 3 or meteor. DAMN!!!!! DAMN!!!!.
    If i were to get one sim free would all my network features work? ie, get it set up for mms, web browsing, msn messenger etc?

Liked the look of the LG Arena on Meteor, the OS and UI looked good IMO but have heard many horror stories abot them.

So whats the best handset for me on 3 and on Meteor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Really like the look of the forthcoming Palm Pre has all features i want (except maybe expandable memory) but looks unlikely to be coming to 3 or meteor. DAMN!!!!! DAMN!!!!.
    If i were to get one sim free would all my network features work? ie, get it set up for mms, web browsing, msn messenger etc?

While nobody can guarantee a handset like the Palm Pre working on either the 3 or Meteor networks, I can't see why it wouldn't work on Meteor. With regard to 3, a 3G Palm Pre would need to be used, since they only provide a 3G network; albeit with handover to Vodafone's 2G network.

• Advertisement

leaning towards the n97 i guess simply as it seems the best on offer that does what i want but is by no means a perfect handset.

Guess i want something that does everything the n97 does but has better OS and UI and better touchscreen?

Looks like i'm asking too much lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It is a good handset, and the UI should much improve in the future just like the n95 did when it came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

You could always wait for the N900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

leaning towards the n97 i guess simply as it seems the best on offer that does what i want but is by no means a perfect handset.

Guess i want something that does everything the n97 does but has better OS and UI and better touchscreen?

Looks like i'm asking too much lol

Going on your previous posts OP, I recommend you consider the N97 or perhaps the Samsung Jet.
    Davy wrote: »
    It is a good handset, and the UI should much improve in the future just like the n95 did when it came out.

I agree Davy. Nokia have been known, the N95 being a prime example, to offer a lot of beneficial upgrades and fixes via firmware updates and this will no doubt continue with the N97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sony Satio running Symbian should be a pretty cool phone...like a 5800 on steroids..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

Have this with 3 PAYG this phone has everything you need

MSN Messenger
    Facebook
    bebo
    Twitter
    email
    Games
    GPS
    Java
    Radio
    Music
    Browser
    Camera 8MP
    Video Camera
    Bluetooth
    Wi-Fi
    Touch Screen
    USB

click4444 wrote: »
    Have this with 3 PAYG this phone has everything you need

MSN Messenger
    Facebook
    bebo
    Twitter
    email
    Games
    GPS
    Java
    Radio
    Music
    Browser
    Camera 8MP
    Video Camera
    Bluetooth
    Wi-Fi
    Touch Screen
    USB

OK but does the Renoir have facebook and msn messenger updates, ie can you run them in the background like you can the INQ1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

OK but does the Renoir have facebook and msn messenger updates, ie can you run them in the background like you can the INQ1

As far as i know you cannot, if it's Facebook your looking for maybe the SE C510, this has a Facebook application which will run in the background and you will receive updates straight to the phone, it also has MSN, Skype, bebo, 3.2 cybershot camera, HSDPA for quick internet access,

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

I get e-mail updates I don't use facebook or msn and it has HSDPA for quick internet access

Walkman wrote: »
    As far as i know you cannot, if it's Facebook your looking for maybe the SE C510, this has a Facebook application which will run in the background and you will receive updates straight to the phone, it also has MSN, Skype, bebo, 3.2 cybershot camera, HSDPA for quick internet access,

As long as the Renoir runs a mobile version of facebook, bebo twitter etc then thats cool. Does it do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

oh i have an inq1 on 3. its not good in my opinion.

sorry but can I ask whats wrong with that phone? only 49 quid on 3 and seems well featured but Id like to know more opinions. cant exactly trust INQ like a sony or nokia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I have an E71 on 3 and I love it. Great for internet and email :)
    i don't doubt that the E71 is a great phone, guess i wanted something more top of the range now, thinking of touch screen maybe?

Little Miss Cutie is 100% correct if you want the best phone on 3 it has to be the e71 without a shadow of a doubt.

Touchscreen and top of the range do not go hand in hand. You will not regret owning an e71.
    I've one and no matter how hard I try to move to a different model nothing beats the e71 for durability, easy of use and battery life. It really is top of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 culturedkevin

Hey I upgraded recently on 3. I picked the Samsung Jet. I'm fairly disappointed with it. I find it pretty slow for a phone that says why wait or whatever their logo is. It took it upon its self to delete all my contacts for no apparent reason, the camera is poor, wi-fi browsing is as slow as a wet week and the GPS doesn't come with maps of any kind that I can figure out.

The main fault with this phone is the lack of symbian software. Most the apps available from Samsung are for symbian phones such as the Samsung Omnia.

I was told at the time (Early December) that the Sony Ericsson Satio has been withdrawn for the time being which I can only imagine is due to problems with the phone. Which wouldn't surprise me going by my previous phone the Sony Ericsson C905.

So to surmise. Samsung Jet is sh1t sh1t sh1t. My old old Nokia N73 is far better than it.

Advertisement