Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon. Yes? No? Sell it to me.

Options
  • 30-08-2009 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

This is a hypothetical situation but one that I no doubt exists in masses of multiples around the country.

Now I am a citizen of Ireland. A normal pleb.
    What Europe means to me.
    The Euro. Great for holidays.A pain in the arse when going to Northern Ireland or England But It shows how overpriced we are here FOR ALMOST EVERYTHING.

Its warmer and drier everywhere else.

Ask me to live anywhere else and I wouldn't. I love it here. The pints, the GAA, the people.

I work my arse off yet I simply cant pay the bills and then I am told I have to take a pay cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do the banks and developers get special treatment and get their debts written off when I am getting phone calls from x,y and z about the €100 I owe.

Give me a a grand or two and I will spend it around where I live.Its a great spot

Lisbon Treaty. I havent a clue whats its about and to be honest I dont care.

If you choose to reply to this remember.An ordinary Joe with ordinary worries.
    Sell it to me cause I havent a clue .:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Moved from Conspiracy Theories.

Anyone following link from CT, please note that the Politics forum rules now apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

This post is a good place to start. But if you're looking for reasons that will translate directly to more money in your pocket, you won't find many. Lisbon is much more of an 'institutional reform' treaty, which should lead to a better running of the EU, which leads to better prosperity for the member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can we cut the shit and just do this topic properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Can we cut the shit and just do this topic properly?

Following on from this request, let's state that "selling the Treaty" can only be done on the basis of the Treaty itself, rather than having yet another round of our two sides sniping at each other. We have enough of those already, I think.

I've therefore deleted posts that don't relate to the OP, including my own. Do not attempt to sell your view of the Treaty here on the basis that we're having a second referendum, or on the basis of past goodies from the EU, or even on the implications of the vote itself - just what's good or bad in the Treaty itself, with article numbers.

And no, the 'complexity' or otherwise of the Treaty isn't part of the Treaty. If it's too complicated for you to understand, then don't post here.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭simplistic

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Following on from this request, let's state that "selling the Treaty" can only be done on the basis of the Treaty itself, rather than having yet another round of our two sides sniping at each other. We have enough of those already, I think.

I've therefore deleted posts that don't relate to the OP, including my own. Do not attempt to sell your view of the Treaty here on the basis that we're having a second referendum, or on the basis of past goodies from the EU, or even on the implications of the vote itself - just what's good or bad in the Treaty itself, with article numbers.

And no, the 'complexity' or otherwise of the Treaty isn't part of the Treaty. If it's too complicated for you to understand, then don't post here.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Just wondering why we arent allowed to use other factors when taking into account a decision?

It exactly like saying that an employer isnt allowed to do a background check to see if the candidate has criminal record and should only focus on the c.v.?

• Advertisement

simplistic wrote: »
    Just wondering why we arent allowed to use other factors when taking into account a decision?

It exactly like saying that an employer isnt allowed to do a background check to see if the candidate has criminal record and should only focus on the c.v.?

Basically, because we have umpteen threads already discussing those factors, and allowing those factors to be part of the discussion inevitably seems to result in a discussion only of those factors. This one is convenient for dealing with just the Treaty - which hardly prevents the discussion of all the other factors that's already in motion on all the other threads.

So keep this one for the Lisbon Treaty's CV, and we can discuss the criminal records of its various advocates and detractors to our heart's content elsewhere.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Shouldn't it then just be a discussion of the differences between Nice and Lisbon then as that is in effect what is been voted on IF you take everything else out of the equation?

Imposter wrote: »
    Shouldn't it then just be a discussion of the differences between Nice and Lisbon then as that is in effect what is been voted on IF you take everything else out of the equation?

Pretty much, yes. After all, that's what Lisbon is - a series of changes to the Treaties last changed by Nice.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Reason 1: Increased democratic oversight of the EU, reduction of the democratic deficit

The European Parliament is the directly elected institution of the EU. Unlike a national parliament, it is not elected in order to form a government, but as a 'watchdog' body for the citizens as opposed to the national governments (who are represented on the Council of Ministers and the European Council) and the EU itself (which is represented by the Commission). As a citizen watchdog, it does not initiate legislation, but amends or rejects it. It also has the power to reject the EU's budget, to accept or reject proposed Commissioners, and to fire the Commission en masse through a motion of censure (the Santer Commission in 1999 resigned rather than be fired). It is not a replacement for national parliaments, nor is it a federal parliament for Europe - it's an oversight body.

Lisbon dramatically increases the watchdog powers of the European Parliament over the EU. The Treaty of Lisbon contains about 68 changes that increase the democratic input from EU citizens. There are no provisions in the Treaty which reduce its oversight powers. Moves to co-decision, where a vote of the Parliament is required in addition to a vote of the Council, is probably the single dominant theme in the Treaty, and the increase in citizen representation goes a long way towards reducing the 'democratic deficit' in the EU, although of course the smaller countries, like Ireland, remain much strongly represented in the Parliament than the larger countries - which balances the somewhat greater weight of the larger countries in the Council.

References: 24 TFEU, 36 TEU, 83 TFEU*, 82 TFEU*, 291 TFEU, 318 TFEU, 319 TFEU, 328 TFEU, 87 TFEU*, 88 TFEU*, 17 TEU, 10 TEU, 14 TEU, 9 TEU, 100 TFEU, 116 TFEU, 127 TFEU, 128 TFEU, 129 TFEU, 133 TFEU, 155 TFEU, 177 TFEU, 19 TFEU, 209 TFEU, 225 TFEU, 226 TFEU, 228 TFEU, 230 TFEU, 234 TFEU, 25 TFEU, 281 TFEU, 289 TFEU, 314 TFEU, 43 TFEU, 51 TFEU, 56 TFEU, 59 TFEU, 85 TFEU*, 91 TFEU, 95 TFEU, 156 TFEU, 11 TEU, 118 TFEU, 121 TFEU, 317 TFEU, 125 TFEU, 336 TFEU, 64 TFEU, 84 TFEU*, 315 TFEU, 352 TFEU, 181 TFEU, 207 TFEU, 257 TFEU, 322 TFEU, 194 TFEU, 182 TFEU, 173 TFEU, 195 TFEU, 196 TFEU, 197 TFEU, 294 TFEU, 212 TFEU, 214 TFEU
    * indicates Irish opt-out from this Article

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you want a real direct effect reason to vote for the Lisbon Treaty, ignore the democratic stuff, or the energy policy stuff, or the institutional changes stuff, just focus on the Crime stuff.

Every year countless women get trafficked from Eastern Europe [where 2/3rds of the worlds 500,000 sex slaves come from] to work as Prostitutes all around the world, including Ireland.
    Every year billions of euro worth of heroin, cocaine, and much worse gets trafficked around Europe and into Ireland.
    Every year millions of euro gets laundered around Europe by criminals looking to hide their profits from imtidation, drug trade, robbery and prostitution.

So far, as individual nations, we've been unable to come up with proper responses to these problems. Because every nation has a veto when it comes to co-operation on these matters, it's impossible to get agreement. Everybody is in favour of doing something, but nobody can agree on what. Some people think this approach, some think the others, and because the rules as they are, nobody's able to step up and get it done.

The Lisbon Treaty transfer the control of these areas to the European Union. What does this mean? We no longer can use our veto when discussions some up. It operates under QMV, which basically means majority voting.

This will massively increase the amount of action taken against crimes like human-trafficking, drug smuggling and money laundering, because there will be a re-newed European effort to tackle them.

This imo is by far the most important thing in the Lisbon Treaty, and massively overlooked in the debate. It is the reason to vote yes. It affects every single man women and child in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Reason 1: Increased democratic oversight of the EU, reduction of the democratic deficit

The European Parliament is the directly elected institution of the EU. Unlike a national parliament, it is not elected in order to form a government, but as a 'watchdog' body for the citizens as opposed to the national governments (who are represented on the Council of Ministers and the European Council) and the EU itself (which is represented by the Commission). As a citizen watchdog, it does not initiate legislation, but amends or rejects it. It also has the power to reject the EU's budget, to accept or reject proposed Commissioners, and to fire the Commission en masse through a motion of censure (the Santer Commission in 1999 resigned rather than be fired). It is not a replacement for national parliaments, nor is it a federal parliament for Europe - it's an oversight body.

Lisbon dramatically increases the watchdog powers of the European Parliament over the EU. The Treaty of Lisbon contains about 68 changes that increase the democratic input from EU citizens. There are no provisions in the Treaty which reduce its oversight powers. Moves to co-decision, where a vote of the Parliament is required in addition to a vote of the Council, is probably the single dominant theme in the Treaty, and the increase in citizen representation goes a long way towards reducing the 'democratic deficit' in the EU, although of course the smaller countries, like Ireland, remain much strongly represented in the Parliament than the larger countries - which balances the somewhat greater weight of the larger countries in the Council.

References: 24 TFEU, 36 TEU, 83 TFEU*, 82 TFEU*, 291 TFEU, 318 TFEU, 319 TFEU, 328 TFEU, 87 TFEU*, 88 TFEU*, 17 TEU, 10 TEU, 14 TEU, 9 TEU, 100 TFEU, 116 TFEU, 127 TFEU, 128 TFEU, 129 TFEU, 133 TFEU, 155 TFEU, 177 TFEU, 19 TFEU, 209 TFEU, 225 TFEU, 226 TFEU, 228 TFEU, 230 TFEU, 234 TFEU, 25 TFEU, 281 TFEU, 289 TFEU, 314 TFEU, 43 TFEU, 51 TFEU, 56 TFEU, 59 TFEU, 85 TFEU*, 91 TFEU, 95 TFEU, 156 TFEU, 11 TEU, 118 TFEU, 121 TFEU, 317 TFEU, 125 TFEU, 336 TFEU, 64 TFEU, 84 TFEU*, 315 TFEU, 352 TFEU, 181 TFEU, 207 TFEU, 257 TFEU, 322 TFEU, 194 TFEU, 182 TFEU, 173 TFEU, 195 TFEU, 196 TFEU, 197 TFEU, 294 TFEU, 212 TFEU, 214 TFEU
    * indicates Irish opt-out from this Article

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Please tell me why so much effort?

Please tell me why so much effort?

To upgrade democracy in the Treaty? Or why do I personally put in so much effort?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The Charter of Fundamental Rights. [Article 6 TEU]

The Lisbon Treaty reinforces the protection of fundamental rights in the European Union through incorporating the Charter of Fundamental Rights into the EU’s primary legislation making the Charter legally binding in terms of EU law and also providing the EU with the competence to accede to the European Convention on Human Rights and binding it to do so
    Article 6 TEU

1. The Union recognises the rights, freedoms and principles set out in the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union of 7 December 2000, as adapted at Strasbourg, on 12 December 2007, which shall have the same legal value as the Treaties.

The provisions of the Charter shall not extend in any way the competences of the Union as defined in the Treaties.

The rights, freedoms and principles in the Charter shall be interpreted in accordance with the general provisions in Title VII of the Charter governing its interpretation and application and with due regard to the explanations referred to in the Charter, that set out the sources of those provisions.

2. The Union shall accede to the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. Such accession shall not affect the Union’s competences as defined in the Treaties.

3. Fundamental rights, as guaranteed by the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and as they result from the constitutional traditions common to the Member States, shall constitute general principles of the Union’s law.

In addition numerous declarations Annexed to the treaty by the Intergovernmental Conference that adopted the Treaty reaffirms that the Charter applies soley to EU law:
    1. Declaration concerning the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union

The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, which has legally binding force, confirms the fundamental rights guaranteed by the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and as they result from the constitutional traditions common to the Member States.

The Charter does not extend the field of application of Union law beyond the powers of the Union or establish any new power or task for the Union, or modify powers and tasks as defined by the Treaties.

53. Declaration by the Czech Republic on the Charter of Fundamental
    Rights of the European Union

1. The Czech Republic recalls that the provisions of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union are addressed to the institutions and bodies of the European Union with due regard for the principle of subsidiarity and division of competences between the European Union and its Member States, as reaffirmed in Declaration (No 18) in relation to the delimitation of competences. The Czech Republic stresses that its provisions are addressed to the Member States only when they are implementing Union law, and not when they are adopting and implementing national law independently from Union law.

2. The Czech Republic also emphasises that the Charter does not extend the field of application of Union law and does not establish any new power for the Union. It does not diminish the field of application of national law and does not restrain any current powers of the national authorities in this field.

3. The Czech Republic stresses that, in so far as the Charter recognises fundamental rights and principles as they result from constitutional traditions common to the Member States, those rights and principles are to be interpreted in harmony with those traditions.

4. The Czech Republic further stresses that nothing in the Charter may be interpreted as restricting or adversely affecting human rights and fundamental freedoms as recognised, in their respective field of application, by Union law and by international agreements to which the Union or all the Member States are party, including the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, and by the Member States' Constitutions.

61. Declaration by the Republic of Poland on the Charter of Fundamental
    Rights of the European Union

The Charter does not affect in any way the right of Member States to legislate in the sphere of public morality, family law, as well as the protection of human dignity and respect for human physical and moral integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

To upgrade democracy in the Treaty? Or why do I personally put in so much effort?

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    The latter.

The latter.

I think it's a very important step for the EU. People may not use the democratic toolkit they're being handed, but it's important to me that it's there.

unsurprisingly,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

bcmf wrote: »

I'm not going to try to sell you the Lisbon treaty but I would ask you to remember that, regardless of the benefits, you will still have to pay a price for the product being sold. The salesmen have a responsibility to explain to you the cost of the product as well as the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

O'Morris wrote: »
    I'm not going to try to sell you the Lisbon treaty but I would ask you to remember that, regardless of the benefits, you will still have to pay a price for the product being sold. The salesmen have a responsibility to explain to you the cost of the product as well as the benefits.

Thanks O'Morris.
    I do not expect anything for free but get very disheartned with the cost here.Whether its related to Lisbon- I dont know.

My original post are, from what I can gather, what the ordinary man on the street thinks.But remember I am an ordinary Joe and we live in the EU.

Re: one of the first posts from Scofflaw I really want this to be a laymans (as much as possible) breakdown of the treaty and not what seems to happen on most of the threads I have read and the media coverage which seems to descend into a mud slinging match between the 'Yes' and 'No' sides thus leading to apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thanks O'Morris.
    I do not expect anything for free but get very disheartned with the cost here.Whether its related to Lisbon- I dont know.

My original post are, from what I can gather, what the ordinary man on the street thinks.But remember I am an ordinary Joe and we live in the EU.

Re: one of the first posts from Scofflaw I really want this to be a laymans (as much as possible) breakdown of the treaty and not what seems to happen on most of the threads I have read and the media coverage which seems to descend into a mud slinging match between the 'Yes' and 'No' sides thus leading to apathy.
    Im an ordinary joe like yourself. To find out about the treaty, i did some research. It may even be through reading letters in pages of Irish times and then following it up. I dont expect anyone to sell this treaty to me. Basically find out what you need to know. Plenty of issues here which have been debated excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭finbar10

This is a hypothetical situation but one that I no doubt exists in masses of multiples around the country.

Now I am a citizen of Ireland. A normal pleb.
    What Europe means to me.
    The Euro. Great for holidays.A pain in the arse when going to Northern Ireland or England But It shows how overpriced we are here FOR ALMOST EVERYTHING.

Its warmer and drier everywhere else.

Ask me to live anywhere else and I wouldn't. I love it here. The pints, the GAA, the people.

I work my arse off yet I simply cant pay the bills and then I am told I have to take a pay cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do the banks and developers get special treatment and get their debts written off when I am getting phone calls from x,y and z about the €100 I owe.

Give me a a grand or two and I will spend it around where I live.Its a great spot

Hi bcmf,
    I intend to vote no (just stating my bias). IMO few things in this treaty are straightforward. Often there's a degree of truth to both yes and no arguments. The actual answer is often quite complicated and both sides can in a sense be right (or at least make an arguable point to some degree). I'm disappointed the referendum commission or our politicians haven't taken much more time to explain the ins and outs of this treaty. At this stage I think we'll end up with a polarized shouting match in the mere four weeks we've left to the referendum, with both sides claiming opposite things.

What I think is the most important change in the treaty is straightforward though. The council of ministers is the most powerful body in the EU. Lisbon would mean we'd lose our veto in most areas. Voting would move from unanimity to qualified majority voting (QMV). This automatically happens in most areas. In most remaining areas we can also give up our veto (defense is an exception but not tax). Once we give up our veto in an area it is gone permanently. But of course we do have a veto on giving up our veto in those remaining areas!

This will no doubt streamline and make more efficient the running of the EU. But to do this the national governments are giving up power to the EU institutions. There are a few checks to try to compensate for this flow of power to the centre. This is the "orange card" procedure for national governments. If more than 1/3 of national parliaments object to some proposed EU law then they can get this proposed law reviewed or get an explanation from the commission why it goes against subsidiarity. But this is not really a power to block the legislation. The legislation may still be enacted anyway regardless. There is also a provision for a citizen's initiative. If more than 1 million EU citizens sign a petition the EU has to consider it. But it doesn't necessarily have to do anything.

That's the main reason I intend to vote no: we've ceding more power to the EU (sharing sovereignty as some describe it). We're doing this for reasons of efficiency and streamlining. I'm not convinced the EU needs this extra efficiency. I'm not sure the EU is such a disaster with the current set up. Previous treaties had big ideas associated with them, the Euro or large scale accession of former Eastern block countries. This treaty is a harder sell. The aim is more boring but not unimportant. The EU becomes more efficient by taking some more powers to the centre. It continues a process which has been going on for a long time.

Lisbon would give the EU parliament more powers also. I'd have less problem with this. The parliament is the most directly democratic body in the EU (even if it is still arguably the least powerful).

One other important change with the Lisbon would be the charter of fundamental rights (which is attached to the Lisbon treaty and has the same status). It's likely this will lead to the European Court of Justice (ECJ) becoming more powerful. Any EU citizen will be able to take a case to the court if they feel their rights in this charter are being violated. In some ways this is a good thing. But again it is an example of powers moving away from national courts to the European court. There are supposed to be checks and balances again. The ECJ is only supposed to be able to rule on EU law. But these days EU law touches on just about everything. It's likely that ratification will strengthen the ECJ in relation to our own supreme court. Again like most things in Lisbon this is arguable and the extent to which this will happen is unclear. European law already is superior to our own constitution, but it will likely mean the ECJ will be able to make rulings in far more areas (there are explicit protections for abortion though, so that is an area that is fairly well protected).

There are positive aspects to Lisbon. The environment and energy are made competences of the EU (which means the EU can make binding laws in these areas). This is a good thing, but not enough to make me reconsider my vote.

There are various protections for our neutrality (such as it exists). The constitutional amendment will forbid the government from joining any European common defence without a referendum. There's still the triple lock preventing us from deploying troops without Dáil approval and a UN mandate. But I would feel Lisbon does move the EU generally in a more militaristic direction. We may stay somewhat outside this common defence policy, but Lisbon commits the EU in general to developing one. The European Defence Agency is given official status (and gives the armaments industry a seat at the EU table).

Overall I feel Lisbon would continue the process of the EU institutions gaining power at the expense of national parliaments. I feel the checks and balances to compensate are not enough. I don't feel extra efficiency is a good enough reason for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

All I would say on this matter is.... Only vote on the lisbon treaty if you have read it and understand what it entails. If you cant understand it, research it. Its like a contract, why sign it if you dont understand what it entails.

The funny thing you may well realise is that the only side showing you what the Lisbon treaty really entails is the No side, the yes side do not explain any of the finer points at all, so that in itself says something, to me it is saying that the "yes" side either dont know the facts or they are hiding them ;)

• Advertisement

gline wrote: »
    All I would say on this matter is.... Only vote on the lisbon treaty if you have read it and understand what it entails. If you cant understand it, research it. Its like a contract, why sign it if you dont understand what it entails.

The funny thing you may well realise is that the only side showing you what the Lisbon treaty really entails is the No side, the yes side do not explain any of the finer points at all, so that in itself says something, to me it is saying that the "yes" side either dont know the facts or they are hiding them ;)

Since many of the No side claims really do involve making erroneous claims about the Treaty, with a regular feature being the citation of part of an article with important provisos left out, claiming that "the only side showing you what the Lisbon treaty really entails is the No side" is itself an enormously inaccurate claim. The best you can say is that the No side use "material from the Treaty" to make their claims.

The other half of your claim, though, that the official Yes campaigns (at least last time round) didn't explain any of the finer points at all, is undeniably the case.

However, we are drifting off-topic again, into 'sales techniques' rather than the contents of the Treaty.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I think you're mistaking the No side making stuff up to sound sensationalist and the Yes telling the fairly dull truth. Lisbon isn't that exciting just needed.

meglome wrote: »
    I think you're mistaking the No side making stuff up to sound sensationalist and the Yes telling the fairly dull truth. Lisbon isn't that exciting just needed.

any examples of them "making stuff up"?
    I think they are more showing "what is possible" if it is voted in, not things that will definitly happen, just showing that we will lose our power to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

any examples of them "making stuff up"?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2009/0831/1224253511501_1.jpg

take a pick of prime "making stuff up" material :D
    just showing that we will lose our power to stop it.

what power exactly will we loose under Lisbon, please do answer

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2009/0831/1224253511501_1.jpg

take a pick of prime "making stuff up" material :D

what power exactly will we loose under Lisbon, please do answer

So is "weighted voting" fake? e.g. some legislation will have to go through voting in the Eu?? no?? If it is majority weighted, do you think Ireland will have the majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

well considering i couldnt find an actual copy of the treaty only amendments i have to go by that alone for now. god knows what they were amending from the original lol

but from the amendments i found with the majority voting aside,
    that if the treaty is passed yes the eu will run a little smoother in that the irish gov will not need to consult its people on decisions with new legislation on alot of matters,
    instead the voting is done in the eu parliament.
    so it looks like to me.
    before the treaty: irish gov wants to change something important they ask the people to vote.

after treaty
    the eu wants to change something it is voted on by the gov not the people. and on top of that some really major legislation is done by majority.
    so really it looks like the people of ireland in general will have not much say at all regarding any legislation.much like america now.they rely on congress instead to pass it.and if you can get some of congress in your pocket you are doing well with getting your way. you bypass most of the people it affects.

as i said before it isnt all positive stuff in there.
    also there is a thread made by someone who says they are reading the actual treaty i hope it is the real one and not just amendments alone as i would love to get a copy of the real treaty aswell!
    anyone got a link to it? id appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i would love to get a copy of the real treaty aswell!
    anyone got a link to it? id appreciate it.

here:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/JOHtml.do?uri=OJ:C:2008:115:SOM:EN:HTML

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

So is "weighted voting" fake? e.g. some legislation will have to go through voting in the Eu?? no?? If it is majority weighted, do you think Ireland will have the majority?

yes. the 0.8% issues has been done to death on this forum, please read past threads

for your benefit ill go again

start here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61652458

read the linked pdf in first post
    http://www.jasonomahony.ie/The_Improved_Spoofers_Guide_To_The_Lisbon_Treaty.pdf
    or backup link http://ifile.it/y5aw17m/The_Improved_Spoofers_Guide_To_The_Lisbon_Treaty.pdf

heres the relevant bit
    In the Lisbon Treaty it is proposed to change the system to a simpler double majority, which
    means that any proposal will need a simple 55% of countries representing 65% of the population
    to get through. Irish Eurosceptics went ballistic at this proposal, because it meant that Ireland,
    with a massive 0.8% of the population of the EU, would only get a tiny 0.8% of the vote. Meanwhile,
    Germany, with a piddly 14% of the population, was getting a massive 14% of the vote. The bastards.
    Fact: Ireland does not rely on the size of its population to negotiate what we need within the EU.
    How the hell do you think a country with 0.8% of the population negotiated €30 billion in aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

@blitzreig
    thanks for the link. is that definetly all of the treaty? i have read this about 5 months ago or so.

by the way what does consolidated version mean?
    i heard the real treaty was something like 3000 pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Torakx wrote: »
    @blitzreig
    thanks for the link. is that definetly all of the treaty? i have read this about 5 months ago or so.

by the way what does consolidated version mean?
    i heard the real treaty was something like 3000 pages.

Consolidated version means its the lisbon treaty as it is applied to the other treaties. As it is an amendment treaty the unconsolidated version does not explain what it is changing only giving the article numbers and the change.

Much like a patch or hotfix for computer software.

The consolidated version fills in those details as they would appear if you had all the treaties in one place.

the treaty is broken into sections.

1.The treaty of the european union

2.The treaty of the functioning of the european union

3.Protocols

Essentially these would be:

1. The structure of the European Union, how it relates to its member states and how it conducts itself

2. The structure of responsibilities of the individual institutions and the their role in each aspect of life that the EU has some aspect of influence.

3. These would be exceptions that individual member states have for specific aspects of the treaty

So when reading the lisbon treaty.

the treaty of european union will give you an idea of what sort of body the organisation is, while the functioning section will give you an idea of its powers and stance on key international topics.

Protocols are where national concerns are addressed. For example the irish position on abortion has been protected by protocol 35 for years now and has never been an issue in lisbon.

Advertisement