Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abrahamovic and Berlusconi on the road to Damascus?

• 30-08-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article6813001.ece
    Michel Platini, the Uefa president, yesterday named Roman Abramovich among the leading instigators of his campaign for “financial fair play” in European football.

Platini identified Chelsea’s billionaire Russian owner, along with Silvio Berlusconi, the AC Milan owner and Prime Minister of Italy, as examples of club proprietors who wanted Uefa to end the inflation in transfer fees and salaries held responsible for increasing debts.

With England in a dominant position in the Champions League and two recent winners, Manchester United and Liverpool, carrying hundreds of millions of pounds of debt each, it is widely perceived that Uefa’s agenda is aimed at the Premier League. Platini denied this. “I have to do what is best for the 53 countries,” he said. But he did add that Abramovich was one of those to whom he had promised to “do something about it”.

Necks like a jockey's bollox.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Feck sake.
    It was these guys who started the "inflation" all off.
    Twas grand when they were the big boys but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I guess its easier to call for tighter finances once youve bought your team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

jaysis, how can anyone take these jokers seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Big huge steaming piles of manure on Platini for pandering to this ****.

I have lost all respect for anything he did as a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A+ Thread title!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Accolades for the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quick, pull up the drawbridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

gosplan wrote: »
    I have lost all respect for anything he did as a footballer.
    Why?

What he did on the pitch has nothing to do with what he does now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Platini talks too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Anybody that works in football associations seems to talk nothing but nonsense. Some of the stuff Blatter has come out with has been mind boggling haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Tom10 wrote: »
    Anybody that works in football associations seems to talk nothing but nonsense. Some of the stuff Blatter has come out with has been mind boggling haha
    You've got to wonder are these guys just "figureheads" for the associations they speak for, with all the actual decision making being done by others.
    If everything these guys talked about became reality football would be a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

No I do think they wield a lot of power but the clubs are probably there to say no to some of their more outlandish ideas. I mean money is power and its the big clubs with most of that.

Blatter does seem to control where the world cup goes after all. He changed the rules so he could get it held in South Africa - as he wants the whole world to have the world cup.

Advertisement