Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red or Dead :(

• 30-08-2009 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

I became a red head about 6/7 weeks ago. My hair is naturally dark brown/black so it had to be lightened first and then dyed quite a vibrant red. All went according to plan and it turned out fabulously. But it just doesn't last:(.
    I have the specific red colour shampoos, I'm trying not to wash my hair everyday if I can get away with it. But I am so sick of the mawkish colour that it turns to; it's horrible:(. I've had it done at the salon again since, and it was beautiful for the first while, but is going manky again. I really think at this rate I might just go back to my own colouring; the red is so much hassle:( It's gorgeous when it's done but rotten once it starts washing out!

Should I ask that they use a permanent colour next time? It's only been semis they have been using so far. Should I chance an at home semi myself to keep me going(It's a bit excessive going back to the salon every 3 weeks or so), and if so whats best??

I'd really love to stay red, so any advice appreciated.....

Cheers.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Home red should be fine. Especially if it washes out in three weeks. Home blonde is tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Semi permanent I assume??

Is any brand particularly good, or should I just go for whatever brand I can get the colour in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I had the same problem - seemingly red colours wash out very easily.

I used a henna for red hair shampoo to try and keep the colouring, and I used to use the wash in / wash out colourants (come in a sachet) - but although I think it helped - I still didn't find it great.

I only ever used home colouring! much cheaper. It was only when I decided to go back to my natural colour (blonde) i went to a salon.

Home colouring - if your looking for a block of colour is very easy to do, cheap and makes your hair very shiney and healthy looking. ONlything was that I used to get red hair dye all over the bathroom :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Red dye doesn't really last very long. Even permanent dye will fade after a month or so. The longest lasting red dye seems to be Special Effects, you could try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Lush's 'rouge' henna works a treat! Especially if your hair has been been lightened already! Makes it look gorgeous and really healthy too :) Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NeonAddict

I became a red head about 6/7 weeks ago. My hair is naturally dark brown/black so it had to be lightened first and then dyed quite a vibrant red. All went according to plan and it turned out fabulously. But it just doesn't last:(.
    I have the specific red colour shampoos, I'm trying not to wash my hair everyday if I can get away with it. But I am so sick of the mawkish colour that it turns to; it's horrible:(. I've had it done at the salon again since, and it was beautiful for the first while, but is going manky again. I really think at this rate I might just go back to my own colouring; the red is so much hassle:( It's gorgeous when it's done but rotten once it starts washing out!

Should I ask that they use a permanent colour next time? It's only been semis they have been using so far. Should I chance an at home semi myself to keep me going(It's a bit excessive going back to the salon every 3 weeks or so), and if so whats best??

I'd really love to stay red, so any advice appreciated.....

Cheers.....
    thats your problem you use semis GO permanent and it will last for a long time id advise you to use Garnier i have very thin hair and not even supposed to dye it because hair dyes are super bad for my hair but garnier seem to work perfectly well for me and the colour truly lasts normally i only see the difference when my hair grows out and roots start to show like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

lovechem wrote: »
    Lush's 'rouge' henna works a treat! Especially if your hair has been been lightened already! Makes it look gorgeous and really healthy too :) Good luck!

I thought that you could not use regular dye for 6 months after using a Henna dye; is this not the case? I know the henna red is a beautiful colour but that would put me off a little.

I might go with a permanent colour next time, though I think I'd have a hairdresser do it the first time as I'd be a bit nervous to do it myself having never used permanent colour before.

I put some special effects colour in with my conditioner yesterday and left it on for a few minutes, it actually perked it up quite well:) Think no matter what I do maintaining it is going to be a pain in the rear, but I'll persevere for the moment:rolleyes::)

Ta for all your advice peeps;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The special shampoos aren't worth the label they come with, they're useless.

Get yourself some of Aussie's Colour Mate shampoo and conditioner.

Secondly, get some Revlon 3-minute nutri colour creme. It costs roughly €20 for the big container (you can buy small ones for a few euro too to try out). You can buy it in Terrisales on Middle Abbey St in Dublin, or in Navan too. If you have time, put it in and wrap your hair in clingfilm and leave in overnight. You can also do this with any reds from Special Effects but they maybe a bit too red for what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was a red head for a few months but reverted back to being a brunette 'cause the upkeep was just too much hassle for me. I found myself having to do a home colour like every two weeks and my hair was in bits after it. It's so annoying how quickly it washes out and then it looks really murky and it's hard to get a shine off it. :(

I tried Aussie shampoo and conditioners for coloured hair but really, no matter what you use, red will wash out and fast so your best bet is to keep topping it up and conditioning so your poor hair won't get too dried out! Good luck :)

Advertisement