Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's one for you

• 30-08-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I was measuring up a house for attic insulation and the lady produced a BER cert she had done recently for €95. Accompanying it was an advisory report with the front page replaced by a letterhead touting it as this persons own advisory report. I asked if there was an SEI advisory report but there was none.
    Are we not obliged to issue the SEI advisory report document with the BER cert?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

SilverBER wrote: »
    I was measuring up a house for attic insulation and the lady produced a BER cert she had done recently for €95. Accompanying it was an advisory report with the front page replaced by a letterhead touting it as this persons own advisory report. I asked if there was an SEI advisory report but there was none.

Obliged? Yes.

Is it any use to the client? Absolutly none.

A competent assessor should be able to give a 5 step independent specific improvement report to the client. The generic blurb that is the advisory report needs to be revised by SEI to be more customisable.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SilverBER wrote: »

i am led to believe that we are obliged to issue and advisory report with the cert, but i do not think we HAVE TO issue the SEI auto-generated one. Im open to correction on that, but thats my understanding of the EPBD.

However, if this person purported that the SEI generated advisory report was theirs, there could be a breach of copyright problem....

i highly doubt he/she wrote up their own advisory report when they charged only €95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Chimpster wrote: »
    A competent assessor should be able to

command a reasonable fee to
    Chimpster wrote: »
    give a 5 step independent specific improvement report to the client. The generic blurb that is the advisory report needs to be revised by SEI to be more customisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

sinnerboy wrote: »
    command a reasonable fee to

:D and whats your view on a reasonable fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i am led to believe that we are obliged to issue and advisory report with the cert, but i do not think we HAVE TO issue the SEI auto-generated one. Im open to correction on that, but thats my understanding of the EPBD.

However, if this person purported that the SEI generated advisory report was theirs, there could be a breach of copyright problem....

i highly doubt he/she wrote up their own advisory report when they charged only €95

It appeared to me that the report was the SEI report printed on plain paper with the first page changed to reflect the assessors views. It looked like the assessor wrote this page up himself.
    Regarding the price, I measured up for attic insulation and worked it out at 66.8 square metres so that makes the house 133.6 square metres in total with the addition of a dining room extension on the ground floor which I didnt measure but would guess at being about 16 square metres. my question would be how this guy is estimating his price for a BER. It seems to me that assessors are now just offering a number that they think might get by the client and not basing the price on anything real by way of calculation.
    Either way, it is another example of how silly this BER thing has become and I dont see how sustainable the business is or will be with the fast buck merchants on the loose and in full cry now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trixie_bee

sydthebeat wrote: »

According to SEI, the SEI advisory report from NAS is the one that is required. Assessors can augment that report/provide their own information as well/package it up etc., but it is to be given along with the cert.

Advertisement