Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving away from child

• 30-08-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I am separated with an 8 year old son. This year (long story) we have had major custody problems and behavioural problems with our son. At present he is in the system for therapy.
    He has not lived with me (bar a few nights) for 4 months. He does not want to live with or spend time away from his dad (lot to do with his dad). It will take months to slowly turn this round and that's ok, so long as he gets help and is happy. He's settling lately and things are better. However I envisage he may always favour his dad and if I only have him at weekends or similar I will accept this, so long as he is happy. This is the worst case scenario I have to accept.
    I am in a relationship with someone 2 hours away. We had a serious chat about how we would manage if we got very serious. Now people can move, change jobs but for now he's in a permanent public sector job and unless he could re-locate chances are I'd end up having to move there for the time being. I could accept my son is happy with his dad majority of the time and come back a couple of days a week/holidays. Ideally a move to somewhere in the middle would be best and nobody knows what life will bring. If we get to that stage I'd try and work it out for everyone.
    Unfortunately this is the type of thing you have to think about if things are too move forward, otherwise you need to call it quits.
    Everything is very up in the air at moment so who knows what 6 months will bring. I just wondered are there any other weekend mums about? At the moment I don't have my son at all so a couple of days a week etc. would be marvellous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Jessiegirl,
    I'm not a mum but I am in a relationship with a man with a child and the issue of parenting and time has come up. Clearly the situation's not ideal but I think the best way to approach it is working out what's enough time for both the parent and the child. If you're satisfied that a few days a week and holidays are enough for you both and that that situation works for the child's father then where's the problem. Sure, situations can change over time but nothing is permanent. If you felt your son needed more time with you, you'd find a way to do it.

There's a parenting forum here where you might get some more feedback on your particular situation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=251

And Rollercoaster.ie is (more or less) specifically for parents.

I have no experience of this but, for what it's worth, it sounds like you're being perfectly level-headed about your circumstances and very considerate of your son's needs and wants.

See how your new relationship evolves and remember you can have an important and fulfilling role as a parent even if you're "part-time".

Best of luck

Advertisement