Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Shops open on Sundays?

• 30-08-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any decent cafes or coffee shops open on Sundays? Cafe Lucia in Ardkeen stores and the Strawberry Cafe at the park are good but always closed on Sundays. Its the one day I fancy gettin the paper and just relaxing a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The cafe in Superquinn is open, but tbh, it's muck in there :-/

I think the Instore cafe on the Tramore Rd is open, and Eddie Rockets are open - If you go to Eddie Rockets, make sure to tell them you don't want pourover coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Revvy

Not sure, but the cafe in Tesco may be open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ah yes but if you close your eyes and imagine yourself in a nice relaxing Sunday spot.. a nice experience like.. Are you in Tesco cafe or Eddie Rocketts? Tesco is great when I get banished for putting things in the trolley that she who must be obeyed didnt authorise. Eddie Rocketts is the business for Saturday evening when burgers are the only thing that can set you up for the night ahead.

We should open a co-op cafe called Boards.ie somewhere airey and accessible.. where its nice to watch the world go by. It'll do the basics during the day and wine and nibbles at night. It'll be full of photographs taken by locals (for sale so its almost a gallery) and it will be a calm place.

Anyone got 50 grand they dont want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The cafe in Superquinn is open, but tbh, it's muck in there :-/
    I was here today and have to agree with you. Never have I seen a place with 4 staff on who make it look as if they're under so much pressure! They just slap the drinks and food onto a counter, shout out the order and expect you to come up and collect it. The place doesn't just lack service with a smile, it lacks anything that even resembles service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I could handle going up to get my coffee, but my poor sensitive taste buds can't handle the boiled milk... nevermind the coffee.

And have a look at the bottom of the counter, where it meets the floor. Staff must be under unimaginable pressure not to be able to give that a wipe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

Trotter wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any decent cafes or coffee shops open on Sundays? Cafe Lucia in Ardkeen stores and the Strawberry Cafe at the park are good but always closed on Sundays. Its the one day I fancy gettin the paper and just relaxing a bit.

Sumatra on John St is good --relaxing and good staff - open on Sundays from noon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

This is something i have found lacking in Waterford of late, there are very few dedicated coffee shops. Regularly go for a coffee on Sunday afternoons after a sat night out, but very little options apart from pubs. Would be nice to see something like the courtyard in MacDonagh shopping center in kilkenny, has some nice coffee shops and cafe's with a nice open seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

foxylad wrote: »
    Sumatra on John St is good --relaxing and good staff - open on Sundays from noon

Otherwise, you can try BB's, O'Briens, Bagel Factory or the Brasserie. Not a great selection but better than nothing. The Kazbar is actually nice for an hour or two for coffee prior to the sport watching louts that start to filter in. Geoffs is obviously a good bet and is as much coffee as drink for the first few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

I'd stay away from the one in superquinn since they changed the type of coffee recently to a much cheaper brand its gone down hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

AdMMM wrote: »
    I was here today and have to agree with you. Never have I seen a place with 4 staff on who make it look as if they're under so much pressure! They just slap the drinks and food onto a counter, shout out the order and expect you to come up and collect it. The place doesn't just lack service with a smile, it lacks anything that even resembles service.

but damn they have great banana milkshakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

The café in the park are open on Sundays up to the end of October I think. I can't comment on their coffee as I'm more of a tea person, but their selection of desserts is absolutely mouthwatering. They have the most gorgeous cupacakes smothered in either pink/green icing with smarties, or chocolate icing with buttons. They also do lovely banoffee, gingerbread men, scones with cream & jam etc.
    Serious calories, but then you can justify it by taking a nice walk around the park afterwards:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deise red

You could also try the Vic cafe in Tramore do lovely breakfasts too :)

Advertisement