Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The stop smoking pill

Options
  • 30-08-2009 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a friend the oter day who said she went to her GP about quitting and he gave her a prescription for a tablet that is ment to have a very high success rate.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiance of it or knows the story behind it?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

My friend took that pill and it worked 4 a while but had its side affects like cranky, weight gain etc but that could of been from coming off the fags.I also heard that depression is another side effect to that pill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I know two people who've used Champix recently. One has been totally successful. He's been off the fags for 2 months and reckons he's in the clear. The second person, who I suspect didn't really want to give up but was just giving in to pressure from her spouse, used the tablets too and after about 3 weeks she went back on the fags. She reckons she had a panic attack (that no one witnessed) and she attributed it to the tablets. It's possible that her story is true but I'm sceptical....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

carly_86 wrote: »
    My friend took that pill and it worked 4 a while but had its side affects like cranky, weight gain etc but that could of been from coming off the fags.I also heard that depression is another side effect to that pill

I think weight gain is pretty common when anyone gives up the fags either through pure willpower or by using some sort of support method. The thing is, you can always lose the weight later. I always say to people who are giving up that you can only do one thing at a time. Concentrate on giving up the fags first. If chocolate or other unhealthy food helps you to do that then go for it. When you finally feel like a committed non-smoker and you're not even thinking about fags anymore, then you can move on to the next thing like losing the weight you gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Both me and OH when of them using champix, He experienced sleeplessness, I felt slightly sick using them.. but both of us are still off them 7 mths later and feel the better for it. Well worth the inconvenience of the first few weeks...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'm off the fags almost a year now, thanks to Champix. I put on ~7 kgs during that time (and really enjoyed putting it on!), but recently got rid of the spare tyre. Twice the sense of accomplishment. Getting off the fags has also enabled me to start a running program and am working towards running 5k distances. (soon to be thrice the sense of accomplishment!)

As for being on the Champix, I know that a proportion of people using it have reported side effects, but I never felt any. Some sweaty-dream nights for the first week, but I put that down to giving up weed at the same time.

The pills aren't a complete replacement for will-power or the desire to give up. You'll have to supply some of that yourself. I would definitely recommend trying them. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458413

There is the Champix thread, It explains everyone's try's and gives you a great idea about it, Its where I went before I started it found it great...

Good luck to you and your friend!

Advertisement