Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COM Ports - Not opening?

• 30-08-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Recently got a RFID reader to do some developing with. It came with a program called RFIDXray.exe. Its a program that the manufacteurs bundle with the product, I'll post it here for download if anyone can help me out (It's freeware)

The reader is connected by a USB lead. This is terminated in the reader to a USB-to-Serial module (The reader is availible in USB and Serial Versions) The driver that came with it identifies it as a CP2102 module from Silicon Labs. However, the manufacteurs insist its a module made by FTDI. I think the manufacteurs have changed the chip (costs etc)

Now, I installed the newest availible drivers from Silicon Labs. This creates a virtual COM port in Device Manager. The problem is that I cannot connect to the reader. (And never could with RFIDXray) It returns an error saying the COM port cannot be opened :confused:

I've tried the following:

Updated Drivers
    Ensured COM port correct
    Ensured correct baud rate

But to no avail. The COM port is certainly correct and it is free (no conflict) Can anyone suggest anything?

Regards,

ironclaw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Does the application ask you what port you are using? Ive seen other usb to serial convertors change the port automatically when you unplug/plug them. You could try changing it to a different port in device manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Diver79 wrote: »
    Does the application ask you what port you are using? Ive seen other usb to serial convertors change the port automatically when you unplug/plug them. You could try changing it to a different port in device manager.

Thanks for the reply. I changed the port personally to COM 2 (All others in Use and RFIDXray only does COM 1 to 8). And it remains on COM 2 even when unplugged and plugged in again.

The program is set to COM 2 and the Baud is 115200 as per the Device Manager settings.

Could it be, seeing as the chip has changed, RFIDXray is unable to open the port as its running the wrong commands?

Does anyone know how to remove the TimeOut feature? e.g When you run mode com3 in the Command Prompt

Advertisement