Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting picture mounts, how to?

• 30-08-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to cut my own picture mounts but am struggling to get a nice straight edge, any tips or hints??

I have mounting boards and am trying to cut them to size with a stanley knife, the edge of a book and a ruler!

It's not going well :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

iirc, a proper mount board cutter is the guts of €100. I haven't yet heard of anyone having success with the stanley blade. but you never know, it may be possible.

a proper cutters would give a nice bevelled edge too which you'd have trouble achieving with the stanley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

If you are really serious about doing your own mounts get a proper mount cutter. There is a more simplistic version you can get for about 30 or a better one where the blades move up and down out of the mount. I would also suggest a good strong wooden board for cutting on and a meter long metal ruler that you can lean on and the blade won't go through. Any good art spply shop will have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

While I have your ear, do you know anywhere that I can get mounting boards cut to a particular size?

I've a picture with contrasting subjects on the two exrtreme edges of the shot and a pre cut mount won't suffice.

I'm giving up on this self cutting idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think Steve (stcstc) does them. drop him a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

I got a pic dry mounted onto PVC board with a double mount for 10euros, A really pro looking finish too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

where did you get that done and what size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

stcstc wrote: »
    where did you get that done and what size?

In Cork City, I know the guy so the 10euro was probably on the cheap side so a little more than that might be more realistic price for walk in for the street trade,still very good value for what you get.
    It was a 10x8 print, not sure what the overall size was, something like 15x12ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

Any framing shop will do them for you. I have used stcstc before and he did a grand job. He will also give a discount to boards members.

Advertisement