Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to school musicals

Options
  • 30-08-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

Starting tonight on Sky 1 at.. um.. 7? or 8 .. anyway, Duncan from Blue is teaching a group of school kids to do the musical Grease. Looks like it could be interesting, I love Grease the musical anyway, but I love seeing when younger groups come together to do something like this.
    Does Duncan do musicals?/choreography? like in general

I think it's great to introduce something like this in schools - just it gives them a taste of something they might not go for normally and might open some of their eyes. But only if it's a good production/good team. We had an awwwful choreographer, she was grumpy and posey and complained about EVERYthing.
    We also got the dud musical, the years before us they had Oliver, Sound of Music, etc. We got 'The Rock Nativity' ... they didn't put in even half the effort of the other musicals, costume/stage wise (we did the work but limited time/materials). And I think it should be good, because it's important to see how good it can be, for yourselves. I mean, we made the best of it but I still think ours was one of the worst.

What was your 'high school musical' ;) and what did you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Ooh i saw an ad for this, didn't realise it was starting tonight. I watched Hairspray the school musical last year so i'd be very curious about this!

In school I was a random chorus orphan, man who carried Daddy Warbucks' suitcases and the husband of a couple for that song about NYC in Annie in second year. Then in 4th year I was cast as random nun in my own school but cast as Laurie in Oklahoma in the local boys school! Naturally I went for the boys school... Also in 4th year we did a show where we did a bit from A Chorus Line which was pretty awesome!

Wasn't allowed to do a musical in 6th cos my dad said it'd interfere with school work and the leaving cert. :( was really upset about that! Haven't done anything since I left school unfortunately. Must get back into them somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I was in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat" in 2nd year as one of the brothers, a random chorus girl and one of those random people who any time there's a line to be said/sung was picked to do it. I also had to play accordion in one of the scenes... It was fun. It was a really good production.

In 4th year I was Sky Masterson in "Guys and Dolls" which was really fun. It was directed/choreographed by the same people (we hired professionals to direct our shows :)) so it was a really good production. Although it would want to be. We rehearsed for about 2 and a half months, two to three times a week.

Then in 5th year I was Rizzo in Grease. This show actually started out as a group of us deciding to put on a show to raise money for Temple Street and somehow our school ended up claiming it as theirs... But it was done on pretty much no budget at all and still turned out pretty well. The director, choreographer and musical director all volunteered to work for free which was really good of them. It was stressful but fun.

But yea, I would definitely agree with you Sp. It's a great thing to get involved in and really gives people a chance to try something new. Some people in my school had never been in a show in their life and as a result of the school musicals went off to join musical societies and get involved in other productions.

Ooh I'm watching these Grease the School Musical thingy and they aren't half bad!

I love the kid with the puppet. He's awesome.

Edit: oh god I take it back the third school are AWFUL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Meant to post twice in here!! oops.
    Have been watching it and it's been really good - seeing how hard they work.

It's on now on Sky1 - the full show - LOL the 'Danny' did the aheew heew laugh Travolta did :)
    I love some of em they're great lil actors.

I keep missing out on this. How is it going for them? Are they any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Oh it was the finale!! Twas the whole show :)
    It went really well for them, the girl who does Frenchy has the voice to a T!!
    Rizzo is deadly as well, and Sandy was really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

star-pants wrote: »
    Oh it was the finale!! Twas the whole show :)
    It went really well for them, the girl who does Frenchy has the voice to a T!!
    Rizzo is deadly as well, and Sandy was really good :)

I am usually horribly critical of amateur productions (lovely person that I am :P) but I thought the kids did a great job. Usually Sandy is by far the weakest character in the show but I though this girl (cannot remember her name) actually played her really well. Danny was great, singing may have been a little off in one or two places but he definitely had the attitude for it. I think it was far better than the Hairspray one last year.

God damn, I always miss these things! Ok next year I'm definitely watching all the episodes.

Advertisement