Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 metre outdoor router

Options
  • 30-08-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

hi

I am looking to get a router for outdoor use that has a range of 64 meters.

The building i will be placing it in has direct unobstructed line of sight to its intended target.

There is already an Eiircom router in the building and i would be attaching the new one to that for one user only to connect to net with.

Any ideas suggestions ? cheaper is always better :)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Most should do that if both antenna's are outside and in line of site. I use a few DLink AP2100 and have tested them up to 400meters no problem but as soon as you stick a wall in the way you might end up with problems. So with that router you'd just need to mount it on the inside and get an external antenna. Try eBay for the anntenna and take a chance and get one from HK or China, (10euro?) cheap and chearful but take a while to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You might even get it with the main router in a suitable window. I get over 30m at front of house with router / Wifi in rear of house.

Alternatively use a couple of 5.8Ghz WiFi points (both on ethernet) that have SW setting to be a Bridge and add a 2.4Ghz AirPoint base on remote Bridge if WiFi is required at remote location.

A repeater mode remote airpoint dramatically slows all WiFi and doubles or more latency on remote point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Use one of These

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cheers for the replies, i can get a weak (2 bars) connection at the moment need to bump that up as it carries an audio stream so need min 8kb upload consistently.

3g things are to temparmental to work consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Nanostation is overkill, use the Loco or use the Pico2 if you need an omni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?PID=204

got one of these for free, will test it out during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You're in a built up area, use Netstumbler to scan to see which channel has the least use to give You the best chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

dreamers75 wrote: »
    http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?PID=204

got one of these for free, will test it out during the week.

An obvious point but still needs saying, don't forget to use WPA on the connection or you could end up providing free broadband for the whole area. Implicit in that statement is don't use default Eircom WEP keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And AES, not TKIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I would also like to connect two sites. Know nothing of the possible technologies. Would those mentioned above do the job in my situation or would a standard wireless N product be sufficient?

90461.jpg

Sites 1 and 2 are about 40-50m apart. Site 1 is a commercail premises 3 stories high, with a 24mb DSL line that I want to give site 2 access to. Site 2 is bungalow. There are trees close to the back of site 2 but the chimney and part of the roof are in line of sight with the roof of site 1. The area between is an overgrown green area.

• Advertisement

50m is very short, 802.11G 's throughput is about 20 to 24mbits max so you might be better off using 802.11A(5Ghz) which can get up to about 30mbits. Two Ubiquiti Loco5s would be fine, once you have a full LOS of course.

Thanks. What is "full" line of sight? The chimney is in LOS. Would that be ok?

Yes it should be fine, it's just that the signal from each antenna isn't only as think as a pin, it's a couple of degress wide and needs a LOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

eman66 wrote: »
    Thanks. What is "full" line of sight? The chimney is in LOS. Would that be ok?

Full line of sight would mean that there is not only a line of sight between the two points but the fresnel zone is also clear of any obstructions.

The wikipedia article has a good description of what the fresnel zone is and how it effects radio transmission, but basically if there is an object too close to the straight line path between the transmitter and receiver, it can cause a reduction in power of the received signal.

Yes, fresnel zone is what I was talking about but I simplified it. :)

Is there any setup issues I have to look out for to have building 2 use the DSL in building 1?

attachment.php?attachmentid=95212&stc=1&d=1257294049

The wireless between the two buildings will be via the Picostation.
    I have one of these handy, will that work where the red box is in the diagram:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No that router should do just fine, its ethernet WAN port is what is needed.

MC

Advertisement