Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transparent background - how?

• 30-08-2009 2:32pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm pulling my hair out with a silly problem. I have a logo which I need to have a transparent background to put on a site. I use Paint Shop Pro 7, I go File>New and select Transparent Background. I paste in my current image and use the magic wand tool to delete the white background and reveal the transparency in the background (white and grey checker boxes). Save it as a .png but still when I put it on the site I'm getting what I have done is open a new file with a tranparent background.

This is the site so you can see the problem, this is the file if anyone wants to do me a favour and fix it for me. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong though as I'm sure I've done this before and it worked fine!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Here's a .png-8 if it is of any use to you?

Produced with a legally licensed copy of adobe Photoshop CS.

See attached.

Here's a .png-8 with 3 colours, it is at the margin of tidy, but creates a sharper edge to the graphic.

I'd have attached a .gif, but there's still a transitional colour margin at the graphic border, because there's a bit of fuzz there, the graphic isn't as crisp and defined as it seems.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks I put it on the site but for some reason the edges are a bit rough. This is the original in much higher quality, is there anything else you can do?

Here's a .gif with 8 colours. See attached.

Zascar, what is the size you want the large one resized at?

• Advertisement

Here's a .gif using Xara, which is a graphic application that handles mainly vector, but also raster, I find it often gives cleaner outlines over Photoshop.

See attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Maybe a pro will give a better idea, but imo having a transparent background for that image isn't necessary. Simply because some browsers don't like transparent BGs (IE8 if I recall correctly) and will change the BG to blue instead. Why not just make the background colour as the actual background you are using on the site? Why does it have to be transparent.

btw I did this image with Photoshop by copying the background fade in a seperate layer behind the original image horizontally, then used a darken blending mode on the original image to remove the light foreground image and let the background fade show through.

I was thinking the same, what with the curves on the font, it would be difficult to get a perfect, non jagged transparency. Sadly, I had trouble accessing Zascar's site.

Advertisement