Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen admits mistakes...but refuses to express remorse.

Options
  • 30-08-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/i-made-mistakes--but-im-not-sorry-1873242.html

600,000 on the dole by the end of the year
    Public Spending Increases of 10% per year
    26 Billion Euro Public Debt
    16th Most Competitive Nation in Europe (Plummetting from 2nd Position)
    0 Confidence in Our Banking System
    A boutique bank for property developers no under state control
    State purchasing of bad property loans,w hich were aided and abetted by the Government.
    Choosing to live off an unsustainable, and unrealistic source of revenue
    Certainty of employment is out the window
    And he is not sorry.

Are we not the luckiest nation in the world to have politicians like him ?

I though arrogance like this is only displayed by Hugo Chavez. And at least he backs it up with his (crazy) Bolivarian ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Not as lucky as Zimbabwe and North Korea but getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hopefully, he'll be expressing remorse at the next election, or before, if his colleagues can off-load him to avoid further embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

i've read the article and I couldn't believe it myself...i mean really this is arrogance at its finest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

he's the gayest of the gayfish.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What should he apologise for? He and everyone he knows still have their jobs, high wages and pensions, and none of them have gone to jail or even been charged with a criminal offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

He apologised because what he did was wrong.

He has no remorse because he did his best.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

PunkFreud wrote: »
    He apologised because what he did was wrong.

He has no remorse because he did his best.
    He hasn't apologised!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What should he apologise for? He and everyone he knows still have their jobs, high wages and pensions, and none of them have gone to jail or even been charged with a criminal offence.

is it now a criminal offence to suck at your job?

i think a lot of people are fecked so..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Riskymove wrote: »
    is it now a criminal offence to suck at your job?

No excuse for him though

Riskymove wrote: »
    I think that is why most people are angry. They are fecked but those responsible are not!
    The government who encouraged recklessness are now expecting the taxpayer (the numbers of which are declining) to bail out many of the institutions responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

zero19 wrote: »
    No excuse for him though

oh I am not defending him at all...just questioning the idea of criminal charges

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

He should step down, the man hasn't got a clue and he is nothing but a thug / gangster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Exactly and well said. Everyone he deals with still have their high ( the highest in the world ) paycheck and pensions. Those who get govt cheques are doing very well thank you. Where else in the world would they be better off ?

kbannon wrote: »
    He hasn't apologised!

Sorry, I misread. I meant he knows what he did was wrong.

Also, just because he did his best doesn't mean his best was good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

The only good thing about our current crisis is seeing Fianna Failure squirm like the snakes that they are...they,and unfortunately us are paying the price for years of their pandering to the only people they care about...those with money.That said,much as i despise them,somebody out there continually votes for these buffoons..and i hope that they are happy now that our country is going down the tubes..if we were any good as a people this shower would not be still running the country...i dont believe that they would be tolerated anywhere else for the absolute contempt that they have shown to the decent people of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well aren't we lucky? We're going to get to watch a party political broadca I mean soft soap "interview" between Cowen and Tubridy on the late late this evening.

In Tubridys own words it'll be "a conversation and not an interrogation."

And my f*cking money is paying for this crap????? :mad:

Well aren't we lucky? We're going to get to watch a party political broadca I mean soft soap "interview" between Cowen and Tubridy on the late late this evening.

In Tubridys own words it'll be "a conversation and not an interrogation."

And my f*cking money is paying for this crap????? :mad:

The "interview" was hardly surprising, given Tubridys allegiances to the Republican party. What else would you expect from RTE ?

Wasn't much of a "soft soap" interview to me. It was an interrogation.

He still didn't apologise.

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Wasn't much of a "soft soap" interview to me. It was an interrogation.
    He still didn't apologise.

He did not apologise for being the highest paid politician in the world ( higher than Obama, or the p.m of UK, Germany or France ) because that was not mentioned by Tubridy. He did not apologise for our public service ( the highest paid in the known world ) bleeding the country dry either, although he did say that given public expenditure was 55 billion and income 33 billion there would be cuts. Too little too late, old chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He wasn't asked asked about his pay but he did acknowledge that some decisions could have been different. That's as close as any politician will get to an apology. Remorse only comes from those who are forced to resign. As interviews go it was close enough to a frank and open one and something he really should have been and be doing more of. The best way to show disapproval of his actions is to vote the incumbents out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

is_that_so wrote: »
    ....vote the incumbents out.

That's the strangest spelling of "incompetents" that I've seen! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Het-Field wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/i-made-mistakes--but-im-not-sorry-1873242.html

Are we not the luckiest nation in the world to have politicians like him ?

I though arrogance like this is only displayed by Hugo Chavez. And at least he backs it up with his (crazy) Bolivarian ideas.

OP, when you joined in 2006, how long was it before you posted complaining about how the government was going to ruin the country - was it 3 years by any chance?

What are people looking for an apology for - we were all happy to have things ticking along as they were only a few short years ago. And Why Cowen - why not Bertie as he ran the show for a whiloe, and what about mcCreevy -should he not be the one you expect an apology from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

OP, when you joined in 2006, how long was it before you posted complaining about how the government was going to ruin the country - was it 3 years by any chance?

What are people looking for an apology for - we were all happy to have things ticking along as they were only a few short years ago. And Why Cowen - why not Bertie as he ran the show for a whiloe, and what about mcCreevy -should he not be the one you expect an apology from?
    yeah we were all happy, but whos responsibility was it for watching our finances under ahern at once

could have it been the same idiot who claimed the the fundemantals of our economy are still sound, when it was obvious to the world that every economy was goin to feel the effects of this recession and actually called talk of a recession scaremongering?

could have it been the same idiot who is fully backing the goverenments plans of tackling the recession. *offaly accent optional" right lads, the problem is some of them poorer folks, none of our buddies now, are findin it hard to make ends meet, my solution, take more money off them and give it to our builder/banker buddies

could it have been the same idiot, could it have, surely us fine people would never give such a idiot a mandate????
    oh thats right we didnt, we nevered voted on this idiot while he was taoiseach, another reason why he leaves a bitter taste in our mouths

however i do agree with your point, ahern is just as culpable in this as cowen, maybe even more so. But theres always a chance that snake will get his come uppance in the tribunal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

Why hasnt someone in RTe asked this fat bollix how he justifies earning so much in a country with only 4 million people:mad:
    What the ****, isnt that why we pay tv licences to RTE? How about some quality ****ing journalism?

I would imagine the tired answer of "We need to pay these figures to get the best minds into politics!" would be spun out.
    I look forward to the day when these people start!

Advertisement