Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China overtaking the US economy

• 30-08-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

There is a lot of hype in the media about the Chinese economy overtaking the US by 2020 but I find this very hard to believe.

The IMF calculates US GDP at $14.264 trillion and the Chinese economy at $4.401 as of 2008. For China even to reach the same level of the 2008 US economy it would take till at least 2045 assuming a very high growth rate of 10%. Having said that though factoring in an appreciating exchange rate would no doubt improve China's GDP figures but its seems a strech for it to surpass the US by 2020. Is it all really hype or are their facts behind it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Well, maybe my maths is wrong here*, but a growth rate of 10% every year and the magic of compound interest means that Chinese GDP would be $12.557tn by 2020 (11 years of growth). Assuming 3% growth per year for the U.S. economy that gives $19.745tn. What about the figures adjusted for PPP? Those are usually used when citing the Chinese economy as the second largest in the world.

*Very, very possible on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

No you're maths is spot on made a mistake myself :o. Assuming a 3% growth rate in the US and 10% in China, the two economies should converge sometime around 2026 using nominal GDP at $24.284 trillion for the US and $24.469 for China however using PPP as you suggested China could match the US as early as 2017 with the US at $18.611 trillion and China at $18.666 :eek:. I guess the real question is how sustainable is China's growth rate?

Advertisement