Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off hmv cds

• 30-08-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just wanted to point this out to everyone. I was looking up the price of a cd (Fear of a blank planet). Its listed as 6.99 pounds on the uk website, but when you go into the shop in Ireland its 24.99euro, meaning theres a 17 euro price difference.I thought this was so unfair,whatever they say about Irish Vat and running costs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thats strangely expensive. Was it a limited or special edition of it? its a single cd and a very big seller so its not like its rare. But HMV used to always have limited editions of rap albums, I remember the US version of death certificate costed a fortune there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

It was just the normal cd,nothing special. They wouldn't have even had to order it in,it was in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I find that these days HMV are generally quite good for CD prices, a lot of the new released are generally reasonable priced. The one you were looking at is probably one priced to make up for the cheaper ones as it wouldn't be a popular choice for most people and therefore wouldn't have been bought in bulk which is the case as it has to be ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I know you say for most people, but to be honest, I think with Porcupine Tree, Fear of a Blank planet would be the first CD that new fans would go for as it would be the most recommended to listen to first. It is probably the (2nd?) most listened to album of their releases, In Absentia being the first I would say.

• Advertisement

But therein lies the issue, Porcupine Tree wouldn't have a large fan base so it doesn't matter what album new fans would want as there'd be fewer of them compared to the bigger sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

And why do you say that Porcupine Tree don't have a large fan base? Last time they played here (6 years ago) they sold out, with many people outside not able to get tickets and many others demanding a second date.

It's simply a fact, no need to get all defensive. And the Temple Bar Music centre is hardly the Point is it, any small band could sell out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Their new double album is out in 11days ... lets see how much HMV are gonna charge for that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RayCon wrote: »
    Their new double album is out in 11days ... lets see how much HMV are gonna charge for that !

I have pre ordered it online. Don't see the point in paying HMV for one album when the same amount of money can buy two or three albums online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

HMV are just an odd bunch altogether. The amount of times I've seen the same item differently priced in the same store never mind in different stores/countries.

They're also quite happy to charge you the higher price, I paid 24.99 for a limited edition Iron Man on DVD back when it came out, but walking out of the shop I saw another copy at 19.99 for the exact same product. I walked up and showed it to the checkout guy and there was no problem, but you'd wonder how many people pay over the odds because they didn't see the cheaper stickered version of many different things.

Also the same thing happened with my friend who purchased Changeling at 19.99 and saw a 9.99 copy (the same version) on the way out. Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Its the way HMV price things, they use their own unique stickers in which the price is set by the barcode, rather than the original barcode, where the company would have to alter the price in their system to the barcode, each new price on a DVD/CD there has a new unique barcode. If staff miss a copy of the item, it will retain the older price because of this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

elaine93 wrote: »
    Just wanted to point this out to everyone. I was looking up the price of a cd (Fear of a blank planet). Its listed as 6.99 pounds on the uk website, but when you go into the shop in Ireland its 24.99euro, meaning theres a 17 euro price difference.I thought this was so unfair,whatever they say about Irish Vat and running costs
    elgriff wrote: »

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3308714/Fear-Of-A-Blank-Planet/Product.html
    RayCon wrote: »

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/8990357/The-Incident/Product.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

but you'd wonder how many people pay over the odds because they didn't see the cheaper stickered version of many different things.

shops are just charging what they know some people will pay...
    @OP, consider buying online, that's where the best deals are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I've noticed that HMV have been putting their prices up ever since Zavvi went bust. CD's and DVD films cost over €5 dearer than in other stores. And the DVD box sets can be €20+ more expensive in HMV. I brought season 4 of Without a Trace (It was only just out at the time) in Golden Disc for €20, before I did that I checked the price in HMV and it was €90.... €70 difference WTF?? I think HMV will go bust by the end of the year with prices like theirs.

Advertisement