Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotting scope or monocular magnification?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I'm looking for a handy spotting scope or monocular for pistol shooting but I don't have a clue about optics:rolleyes:

Could someone in the know tell me what magnification I should be looking for?

Cheers Murph.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A little confused. Why do you need a spotting scope for pistol shooting? What distances are you shooting at? Most pistol shooting occurs at between 10m to 25m and with ceasefires between details i don't see the need for one. Not being a smart arse, just curious.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Not so much a spotting scope but a small monocular for seeing where the shots are landing.

Shooting from 10 to 25 yards, they're handy for checking the fall of shot without having to wait for a ceasefire.

My eyesight isnt what it used to be:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ah. Well at 25m or less just about any spotting scope would do. By that i mean no need to go big money on a massively powerful scope for say long distance rifle target work. You would probably be better of with a monocular or even a pair of binoculars. A spotting scope would be better suited towards benchrest shooting.

Mini binoculars at about 12-32 or 8-24 power would run about €30-€45. More for the better known (and overpriced) ones. Again not being a smart arse but may i suggest shoot n c targets. Great for practising at 25m and cheap as chips on ebay. Sorry i couldn't be more help.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Make sure the minimum focusing distance is less than 10 metres if you're planning on using it at that range. Some of the bigger magnification scopes don't focus too close, especialy the cheaper ones. If you fancy a pair of bins, try ebay for the old east german jena zeiss 8x30's. Superb optics for under €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Get yourself along to Lidl on Thursday and get a pair or two of these (one for the car one for the range bag)
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090903.p.Binoculars
    for €9 you cant go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Lemon3 wrote: »
    Get yourself along to Lidl on Thursday and get a pair or two of these (one for the car one for the range bag)
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090903.p.Binoculars
    for €9 you cant go wrong.

I got a pair for my grandson and thats all these are good for.

Wait until the Aldi/Lidl 10x50 Bins come along at €20 a much better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Cheers for all the replies and suggestions lads!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

murph226 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm looking for a handy spotting scope or monocular for pistol shooting but I don't have a clue about optics:rolleyes:

Could someone in the know tell me what magnification I should be looking for?

Cheers Murph.
    I have an opticron 10X42 monocular, top quality clarity perfect for what you do, waterproof fogproof nitrogen filled hang around neck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

A little confused. Why do you need a spotting scope for pistol shooting? What distances are you shooting at? Most pistol shooting occurs at between 10m to 25m

Most common distances in target pistol are

7 metres
    10 metres
    15 metres
    25 meters and
    50 metres

The vast majority would be at 25 meters and seeing as you would most likely be firing on a black target you will not be able to see your hits until you go up and look at it.

Agreed in competition, the binoculars will not be of much use unless you have a lot of time, however, if you are practicing at 25 to 50 meters it will save having to go up and look at the targets all the time while sighting.

B'Man

Advertisement