Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request to keep politics out of non politics related forums...

Options
  • 30-08-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Specifically requesting in this case to keep politics related discussion, particularly relating to the Lisbon treaty, out of the Conspiracy Theories forum.

Sure there might be some that could see some CT's relating to the Lisbon treaty but all it ever ends up being are threads filled with the usual yes mob jumping all over anyone who even dares to say they're going to vote no.

If I want politics I'll go to the politics forum. If I want to enjoy reading the weird, wonderful and sometimes just damn strange conspiracy theories then I'll go to the CT forum. I don't want to have to put up with trawling through yet another crappy politics thread full of yes master puppets defending the Lisbon treaty once again on a forum it doesn't belong in, in the first place.

Please ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's up to current mods of any forum to decide what's allowed there so I'm not sure what good posting in feedback will do.

Did you PM them to let them know you'd like a discussion on it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

My my, a quick glance at that closed CT thread is like looking at a European Politics forum thread with all the usuals involved. I think bonkey's moved a thread there recently. I suppose that's your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Steve wrote: »
    Did you PM them to let them know you'd like a discussion on it here?
    Alternately, we even have an "Opinions" thread sticked in CT for people to...y'know...offer their opinions on what we should be doing.

As moderators, we try to find an compromise that doesn't alienate too many opinions. There's been quite a lot of heckles raised in the past when we've tried to suggest that a political / socio / economic discussion has no place because its devoid of a coherent conspiracy....mostly on the grounds that such things are exactly what conspiracies are made of.

If you'd like to make a case for a harder line, I'm all for discussing it, but I would have said that this is a complaint targetted specifically at one forum, and therefore, the facilities to discuss the forum's direction that we supply there are the appropriate place to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There's a decent argument for having a couple of Political threads in AH to leave users, who do not want to submit to the kind of strict moderating that is on Politics, to get a rant off their chest.

Politics threads or rant threads ?

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Politics threads or rant threads ?

Politics threads carried on like you were in a pub where you won't be challenged on your statements. Versus Politics where you're expected to be able to back up your claims and points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmmm call me Hercule Poirot, but I see a definite connection between the request to have political threads banned from AH, Terry's sticky on Lisbon, and Hagar's departure from AH as Mod.

I did query the wisdom of the appointment I have to say, lone voice crying in the wilderness.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Specifically requesting in this case to keep politics related discussion, particularly relating to the Lisbon treaty, out of the Conspiracy Theories forum.

If the Mods of that forum are happy to allow it, then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

bonkey wrote: »
    Alternately, we even have an "Opinions" thread sticked in CT for people to...y'know...offer their opinions on what we should be doing.

As moderators, we try to find an compromise that doesn't alienate too many opinions. There's been quite a lot of heckles raised in the past when we've tried to suggest that a political / socio / economic discussion has no place because its devoid of a coherent conspiracy....mostly on the grounds that such things are exactly what conspiracies are made of.

Sorry, I forgot all about the thread in here tbh :o
    The thread for opinions in CT, I have a habit of ignoring stickies unless they've been posted in recently but you're right.
    If you'd like to make a case for a harder line, I'm all for discussing it, but I would have said that this is a complaint targetted specifically at one forum, and therefore, the facilities to discuss the forum's direction that we supply there are the appropriate place to discuss it.

Yep you're right but to be honest, you yourself have been particularly good as of late at nipping discussions that might be tethering away from a CT into a political argument so fair play and spot on and personally myself I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hmmmm call me Hercule Poirot, but I see a definite connection between the request to have political threads banned from AH, Terry's sticky on Lisbon, and Hagar's departure from AH as Mod.

I did query the wisdom of the appointment I have to say, lone voice crying in the wilderness.

You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nesf wrote: »
    There's a decent argument for having a couple of Political threads in AH to leave users, who do not want to submit to the kind of strict moderating that is on Politics, to get a rant off their chest.
    What he said.
    For those who don't know, nesf was an AH mod for a long time and knows his stuff.

We do allow certain political discussions in AH. However, we really don't like prolonged and uninformed discussions about serious topics. The Lisbon treaty would be regarded as serious.

You need a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ok, hands up!! I got it wrong.I apologise for any aspersions on anyone.

Where's the jacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The situation in AH is beyond a fcuking joke at this stage.

Every day there's a new political rant thread, it's wrecking the feel of the place

One daren't disagree on thread for fear of insulting the dissenters :rolleyes:

Is there some agreement that boards have with certain users that warrant them to post these one sided rants? I don't know about anyone else but I don't visit AH to have anti-political agendas rammed down my throat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The situation in AH is beyond a fcuking joke at this stage.

Every day there's a new political rant thread, it's wrecking the feel of the place

One daren't disagree on thread for fear of insulting the dissenters :rolleyes:

Is there some agreement that boards have with certain users that warrant them to post these one sided rants? I don't know about anyone else but I don't visit AH to have anti-political agendas rammed down my throat
    The key is to make a humours comment that's just this side of bad taste, mocking the points made in the rant. By showing that you don't take it seriously, you'll anger the OP. One of two things will happen:

A) Others will see you taking the piss and join in, making the OP realise that it's pointless ranting that on AH and they'll learn not to do it again.

or

B) They'll be so angry that you don't take their tirade seriously that they'll lose it and end up hurling abuse at you. This will lead to them being banned from AH and thus a stop to their rants.

It's a non-violent yet slightly confrontational approach that I call the "Ghandi Method". But you have to remember to wear a nappy while doing it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Poltics out of non-politics forums...no problem.

I had some ejit post about anti-lisbon in the Broadband forum and he was told if he does it again he's banned.

Poltics has its place imho :)

The Lisbon Treaty is more than just something confined to politics. There's a lot of non-political campaign groups getting involved this time. If the lisbon treaty has some relevance to broadband or shooting or health or whatever else then don't see why people shouldn't be allowed discuss it outside the Politics forums.

The Lisbon Treaty is more than just something confined to politics. There's a lot of non-political campaign groups getting involved this time.

There's always a lot of "non-political campaign groups" involved in referendums. That doesn't mean it's on-topic in Broadband to post an anti-Lisbon rant though.

nesf wrote: »
    There's always a lot of "non-political campaign groups" involved in referendums. That doesn't mean it's on-topic in Broadband to post an anti-Lisbon rant though.

Sigh, jaysis. I didn't say it was and you of course know I didn't.

What I said was, if the Lisbon Treaty has some relevance to a forum's particular topic then people should be allowed talk about it there and outside of the Politics forums. So if there's something in it about gun owners and shooting then they should be allowed talk about it in the shooting forum or if there's something in it about disabilities then people should be allowed talk about it in the Disabilities forum and if there's something in it about healthcare worker's rights then they should be allowed talk about it in Med forum.

Sigh, jaysis. I didn't say it was and you of course know I didn't.

You posted under a post complaining about No campaigners in Broadband with a post saying that it debate should be much broader than Politics. I just read it as an oblique reply to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

why would anyone with a serious political point of view even bother reading an AH based politics thread?

It will always end up talking about Mary Harney's eating habits.

COme on people, dont you know better at this stage???

As for 'allowing' the posts in the Ah forum in the first place, then thats a debate you should ahve with the AH mods?
    Perhaps you can set up a debate on a home and away leg type formula, one in politics and one in AH, and the loser has to concede....

you know, sort of like a gentlemans 'Thunderdome'!

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement