Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Classes in Galway?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

So I'll be going to NUIG fairly soon, and I'd like to know if there's any Irish classes for beginners in the city. The college do have a diploma programme for beginners apparently but it's far too expensive for the like of me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

I did a beginners short course in NUIG last year - it was a 8 week course and cost €120 or thereabouts

GMIT also offer a conversational Irish course as well as Arus na Gael on Dominick st. although I have heard bad things about their courses (Arus na Gael, not GMIT)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Conradh na Gaeilge, Arus na ngael, 45 Dominic Street
    I did a course years ago, 80 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The NUIG classes are ok, albeit a little expensive.

I have nothing good to say about Arus na nGael, the worst language classes I've ever attended.
    Disorganised, too many people in class, a lot of foreigners with insufficient grasp of English to follow the class (I'm a foreigner myself, so I'm allowed to moan about that...) at least in the beginners class, slow progress, jut not much fun at all.

The best ones I've attended so far are out in Spideal, in Colaiste Connaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galah wrote: »
    I have nothing good to say about Arus na nGael, the worst language classes I've ever attended.
    Disorganised, too many people in class, a lot of foreigners with insufficient grasp of English to follow the class (I'm a foreigner myself, so I'm allowed to moan about that...) at least in the beginners class, slow progress, jut not much fun at all.

We've had threads like this before, and several of us have said similar things. I had a similar experience to yours in 2008. Unless they've got better since, I'd recommend elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    We've had threads like this before, and several of us have said similar things. I had a similar experience to yours in 2008. Unless they've got better since, I'd recommend elsewhere.

Totally depends on the teacher you get there imo. A friend of mine from overseas who did a couple of classes now says her teacher (no naming names but he's a musician) is brilliant. One guy (I left the course for work reasons) I had was pure sh*te, but he's gone now. A friend's partner teaches there and she's great..so yeah, depends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I thought the diploma was free to do once you were studying another degree in NUI, G.

If not, you could consider a grind in Irish with a native speaker, could do one a week, or once every two weeks. Would be c. 25/30 per hour. I can recommend someone from Connemara who teaches all the time and is brilliant, you can PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Totally depends on the teacher you get there imo.

Good to hear.

Though for the price they charge, I'd expect the organisation to be doing quality assurance and customer satisfaction check, that they're clearly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 juno00

inisboffin wrote: »
    Totally depends on the teacher you get there imo. A friend of mine from overseas who did a couple of classes now says her teacher (no naming names but he's a musician) is brilliant.

If this is the same musician/teacher who was teaching beginners up to this April, I totally agree, he is brilliant, and he's back in the Árus this September to teach beginners. Get in there if you can.

His gigs aren't bad either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

fair play to you for trying to learn our language. i'm irish myself and I can't even be arsed to learn it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 orright?

Thanks for all the replies everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

saw a poster in the Galway Social Space advertising irish classes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abular

Hello! Glad to see some information on the matter! Would you be able to share any details on the class in Spideal? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I've got the phone number floating about somewhere (will look for it when home), but as far as I know, classes don't start until October.
    More info when I get it! ;-)

Edit - oh, if you do ring the college, be prepared for the Spanish inquisition as gaeilge - they do an impromptu 'test' on ya, to see which level they may put you in. Having had about 10 hours of Irish in all, and then being asked about my marriage status and my hobbies in Irish on the phone was one of the scariest things in my life (very sheltered upbringing...) ;-) They're nice though. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abular

I've got the phone number floating about somewhere (will look for it when home), but as far as I know, classes don't start until October.
    More info when I get it! ;-)

Edit - oh, if you do ring the college, be prepared for the Spanish inquisition as gaeilge - they do an impromptu 'test' on ya, to see which level they may put you in. Having had about 10 hours of Irish in all, and then being asked about my marriage status and my hobbies in Irish on the phone was one of the scariest things in my life (very sheltered upbringing...) ;-) They're nice though. ;-)

Excellent. Very good to know. Thank you. :)
    If the phone number turns up, that would be very helpful! Thanks again!

Advertisement