Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problwm with installing new motherboard and processor

Options
  • 30-08-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

well today i bought an AMD quad core bundle that includes mother board, processor and 2 GB RAM as an upgrade to my PC. The specific details are:
    AMD Phenom X4 9500 Quad Core Processor
    Geforce 7050M-M V2.0 Motherboard
    Nvidia Geforce 7 Series
    2 GB DDR2 667 MHz ram
    heatsink and cooling fan

That's what the whole bundle contains, so i took out the old motherboard and installed everything into the PC. The PC boots up fine and allows me to access the BIOS and confirms that everything is ok. But i can only access windows in Safe Mode, i keep getting the blue screen of death when i try to boot up in Normal Mode, i don't even get to the login screen at all. The blue screen flashes so quickly that i cannot see anything.

I have been trying to sort out the problem in Safe Mode using the installation CD that was provided. But i when i do auto run from the cd , i get memory access violation at address 00455aB3 in module 'Setup.exe'. read of address 00000000.

Then i just browse the cd manually and try to install the nvidia motherboard drivers, it then tells me to restart the system, but if i select normal mode at bootup the system crashes with BSOD. Or if i go back into Safe Mode, it asks me to do the installation again!! I get the impression you cannot really install drivers in safe mode and then restart again in safe mode??

Can anyone help at all?? I'm going to try and look for an update for the BIOS and update it but i'm not so sure that'll work.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You really should of backed up your stuff and gone for a clean install given you've just ripped out the guts of your machine - all the video, audio, network, chipset and even CPU drivers are out of sync and remnants of the old ones are now probably going to cause havoc.

I also doubt the X4-9500, old though it is, is even fully compatible with a even older stock-BIOS nForce7 mobo. You really need to update it fast - don't bother with Windows installers, just get an old-fashioned bootable BIOS update. Don't know about your mobo (what brand is it anyway?) but many manufacturers now have some kind of utility for flashing the BIOS from a USB device, given the scarcity of floppy drives ;)

Even then you've got a mess on your hands - you need to remove those old drivers from your installation via Safe Mode and getting stuff on and off a PC in Safe Mode isn't the easiest thing to do (given how MS Installer and other similar critical services don't work so you can't install or uninstall things the easy way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daew11

Hi,
    What operating system are you using? If it's XP try and remove your documents in safe mode and re-install the system. If vista, safe mode with networking and an internet connection may sort it.
    Good luck
    Daew11

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

hmm i was thinking that a reinstall would be the only option but i am able to access all my folders and everything now so i'll do that as a last resort.
    I'll try and uninstall some drivers that may be causing the problem especially the old graphics card

I'm using windows XP.

The motherboard is from Nvidia (geforce 7050M-M )

nVidia didn't make the mobo, they just supplied the chipset. The manufacturer must be consulted and a new BIOS flashed to avoid inadvertent over- or under-clocking the CPU and possibly damaging it and the mobo, regardless of what you do about the drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Stick in a new HDD and a new Windows install. Then your old HDD as slave and save your stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Solitaire wrote: »
    You really should of backed up your stuff and gone for a clean install given you've just ripped out the guts of your machine - all the video, audio, network, chipset and even CPU drivers are out of sync and remnants of the old ones are now probably going to cause havoc.

I also doubt the X4-9500, old though it is, is even fully compatible with a even older stock-BIOS nForce7 mobo. You really need to update it fast - don't bother with Windows installers, just get an old-fashioned bootable BIOS update. Don't know about your mobo (what brand is it anyway?) but many manufacturers now have some kind of utility for flashing the BIOS from a USB device, given the scarcity of floppy drives ;)

Even then you've got a mess on your hands - you need to remove those old drivers from your installation via Safe Mode and getting stuff on and off a PC in Safe Mode isn't the easiest thing to do (given how MS Installer and other similar critical services don't work so you can't install or uninstall things the easy way)

well i found the manufacturer of the motherboard and it is ECS, i went to their page and found the latest BIOS flash update but when i tried to run it in safe mode an error came up.

Do i need to change the jumper on the CMOS so that the bios can be flashed? The CMOS jumper is currently short right now. so can anyone advise as I don't want to risk making a wrong move

BIOS updates are usually installed from a bootable drive, not Windows. What model number is that mobo? Not sure what ECS offer BIOS-wise...

I hope you paid sweet eff-all for that upgrade kit - its seriously naff :(

Advertisement