Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Time Getting Credit Card

Options
  • 30-08-2009 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I know there is other discussions going on in relation to this topic, but any advice is welcome.

I have a 3rd level account soon to be a Graduate account with BOI. I want to get a Credit Card as I am heading down under in next 2/3 months and want to do as much of my various different purchases in relation to flights, accomodation etc. online.

So what Credit Card should I be in the market for??

I would have a fairly good head on me for money (Pure Tight!!) so I wouldn't have much of a problem when it comes to repaying money. Only problem I have is that I am absolutely bambozzled by the different options out there. So if anyone can point me in the right it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you are going to clear the balance in full every month then it doesnt really make much difference what card you have.

Apart from the apr differences, which wont matter when you clear the balance in full every month, other differences are in charges, from going over the limit, to paying late.

Then you have reward differences, some give cashback, so the more you spend the more you get a little return. Other cards can give you travel insurance.

One site you can look at: http://www.uchoose.ie/11-Borrowing/17-Find-a-credit-card/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 patbrady877

open an account with Halifax and get a debit card. Its a visa so accepted everywhere, but you are only spending your own money.........

Every single person intends paying off their balance at the end of each month, and it doesnt happen.

Every single person intends paying off their balance at the end of each month, and it doesnt happen.

Its not hard, just have to setup a direct debit to pay 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Smelf1

just be careful with it, as its tempting to use it. Also hide it from the missus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tonydatiger

Cheers Lads for all the replies.

Went into BOI and filled out all forms to apply for Credit Card. But got a phone call this morning saying my application had been refused based on the fact I'm not in full time employment at the moment :mad:.

Can anyone point me in the direction of my next best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Cheers Lads for all the replies.

Went into BOI and filled out all forms to apply for Credit Card. But got a phone call this morning saying my application had been refused based on the fact I'm not in full time employment at the moment :mad:.

Can anyone point me in the direction of my next best option.

can you get parents to sign up as a security for your credit card? Ie. as in if you dont pay back they will, not sure if you can do this with credit cards?

other options apply to different banks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I have a platinum cc but to be honest if i was you i wouldnt bother getting a cc just for a 2/3 month period. I would go for a halifax visa debit, i have one of those too. Never had it refused online and all you have to do is open a current account with minimal deposit and you will have it in a week. My irish banks wont give me a cc but my british bank is happy to give me a 4k limit. Much easier to get a visa debit than apply to various places for a cc. Good luck and enjoy oz :)

Back again :o

As I mentioned before I was turned down by BOI and MBNA for a Credit Card. So I have gone down the line of getting my auld fella to add me to his BOI credit card thus me paying him back etc.

The additonal card arrived today, but his name is on it :confused: I was under the impression that it would be my name on it as I would imagine i will get hassle from some places when paying for different things.

Is this normal ?? I'll give them a call in the morning anyway, but if anyone can shed any light, I'd be greatful.

The additonal card arrived today, but his name is on it :confused:

You should be able to get your name on it, mistake on their behalf it seems. Not sure why they would issue another card in the same name connected to the same account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Davy wrote: »
    You should be able to get your name on it, mistake on their behalf it seems. Not sure why they would issue another card in the same name connected to the same account.

To the OP, did you fill out a form for this?

If you did they shouldn't be getting this wrong. However I suspect a reissued card was ordered and not a second as intended.

TBH, you'll find it hard to get a bank to give you a credit card if you don't have a job and even at that some won't give until you are at least a year in the job!

• Advertisement

Guys,

Finally got my Credit Card last Friday. It took me over 5 weeks to finally get it :(

1. BOI or MBNA wouldn't issue me one due to me being unemployed.
    2. BOI issued my auld fella a second card in my name but messed up and sent the card in his name.
    3. Last Friday I finally recieved my credit card.

The most annoying thing that still gets me is that only 12 months ago I was getting letters in the post from both BOI and MBNA offering me a Credit Card even though i was still in College on a part time wage :confused:
    Howinever we are in a recession i suppose ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement