Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College....FOR WHAT??

Options
  • 30-08-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

After slaving away for 5 years in DIT, and nearly killing myself with the 8am-10pm hours for final year, I have no hope of getting a job, nevermind one I am interested in, anyone else feeling VERY frustrated??!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Welcome to the recession. But seriously, it might seem like it was a waste of time now, not being able to get a job. But give things a few years and you'll be glad you put all the effort it. Chin up.
    What course did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

I didn't go to DIT but just finished my 4 year course that involved basically sacrificing my whole life to college. I've been looking for any job, literally anything, as there's none in my field (design). Very frustrating. I haven't even gotten one single interview affter 3 months of looking and ringing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Recession and lack of work out there has very little to do with DIT itself. It's an economic thing. Also, if your degree is very specific to some field, then maybe it's worth looking at other countries to get a job if they've more of that type of company there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i would presume you are an architect. where there's a will there's a way my friend. i am entering my final year expecting similar hours too.

but as poster said, keep the chin up. 5 years in college, you are smart, think of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Aye its pretty shocking how much things have changed, two years ago i got a full time job in a legal technologies firm for a year without any credentials or connections, now i can't even get a part time job in spar:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyinwaiting

Yes, well I suppose I am just having a grunt and a groan, its just hard when you have all these expectations of things when you finish college and the BOOM, out of your control is a worldwide economic recession. I am moving to London in February so hopefully something will come up there, I have joined a graduate website and seem to be getting alot of emails in relation to random jobs. So I will just have to watch this space.

Also Re: architect, a friend of mine did interior architecture and is working in a pharmecutical place...I guess you just have to make what you can of it, and having money to live on is the concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

What course did you do?

Just because you did X amount of years in college, doesn't mean you deserve a job. Why would you move to London without securing a job first though? It'll surely add extra stress and overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Before moving to London, you have to start attending workshops or doing work with people who have connections with London.

For instance, one of my mates did a music-related workshop (on tabla drums) in Dublin. Some guy was in the course that previously studied in the Yehudi Menuhin school of music in London (very prestigious school), so he has hooked my mate up with it.

You can't go into London without any connections and expect to make it there, especially at this time. You might think that there are some casual jobs that are easy to get, but you'd be wrong, because you're competing with immigrants for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I didn't go to DIT but just finished my 4 year course that involved basically sacrificing my whole life to college. I've been looking for any job, literally anything, as there's none in my field (design). Very frustrating. I haven't even gotten one single interview affter 3 months of looking and ringing around.

I know after 4 years of college you don't want to work in just any old job but given the current economic climate I think you should broaden your horizons a bit and take work that you might consider to be maybe "beneath you".

I'm sick of hearing college graduates say "there are no jobs". There are plenty of jobs out there. You might end up packing boxes in a warehouse but there is work. Get yourself signed up with a few recruitment agencies.

When the economic situation improves you'll be glad of your degree and I'm sure it will be a lot easier to find employment in your preferred field but until then you're either going to have to draw the dole or take whatever you can get.

Packing boxes in a warehouse is good money btw, and there is nothing in it that a woman wouldn't be able to do.

Advertisement