Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop to Tv HDMI problem

• 30-08-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭

Today I hooked up my laptop to the LCD via a hdmi wire. It was surprisingly easy and the tv displayed the laptop screen without having to edit any settings. So I was watching a video on the tv when the laptop went into power save mode and turned onto stanby (I forgot to plug it in). I plugged the laptop back in but the tv then started saying "out of range" when I turned it on to HDMI1. I found this strange as I hadnt changed any settings.

I assumed "out of range" is something to do with the resolution on the laptop being too high (even though I hadnt changed anything) so I lowered the resolution but it just keeps saying "out of range". Probably a simple problem but I cant figure it out. Ideas ?

Bonus question : If a laptop has HDMI out can you watch a HD movie on your LCD via it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Noone ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,188 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ITs probably the same as mine when it says No Signal.

Have you tried restarting the television?

Bonus Answer: Yes. Thats what its for. For super brownie points I finally figured out how to switch sound outputs: VLC and WMP will play sound and video through the TV, everything else on the laptop defaults to the laptop. I can watch movies and play counterstrike through my headphones no problemo.

Overheal wrote: »
    ITs probably the same as mine when it says No Signal.

Have you tried restarting the television?

Bonus Answer: Yes. Thats what its for. For super brownie points I finally figured out how to switch sound outputs: VLC and WMP will play sound and video through the TV, everything else on the laptop defaults to the laptop. I can watch movies and play counterstrike through my headphones no problemo.

I have all sound coming out of the tv speakers. You just need to go to control panel - sound - HDMI. You have to turn it back to speakers when you are finished using the tv though.

Not quite. Thats what I thought till I poked around. WMP Options - you can change which sound device it uses to play sound through. It defaults to Default sound device (what youre saying) - just force it to one or the other. Tools>Options>Devices>Speaker Properties.

In VLC go to advanced settings and set output to DirectX. In DirectX properties set device number - default is 0. Set to 1 or 2 (or 3) depending on your setup. 0 = default; 1=force device 1; 2=force device 2

Not quite. Thats what I thought till I poked around. WMP Options - you can change which sound device it uses to play sound through. It defaults to Default sound device (what youre saying) - just force it to one or the other. Tools>Options>Devices>Speaker Properties.

In VLC go to advanced settings and set output to DirectX. In DirectX properties set device number - default is 0. Set to 1 or 2 (or 3) depending on your setup. 0 = default; 1=force device 1; 2=force device 2

Hmm - I dont need to do any of that. Once I set default to HDMI all sound comes out of the tv. Weird.

• Advertisement

Well you can do it like That. But the problem with that is ALL the sound will come out of your TV. If you go to play a game for example, its sound will come out of the TV too. Which is obnoxious. the way explained above, only what you want to play through the TV will play through the TV, and everything else on your system will play through the Laptop

Well you can do it like That. But the problem with that is ALL the sound will come out of your TV. If you go to play a game for example, its sound will come out of the TV too. Which is obnoxious. the way explained above, only what you want to play through the TV will play through the TV, and everything else on your system will play through the Laptop

Ah, touche. Makes sense. Although I dont see why game noises coming out of your tv is obnoxious.

What I need to find out how to do is have the sound come through the surround sound system.

Tusky wrote: »
    Ah, touche. Makes sense. Although I dont see why game noises coming out of your tv is obnoxious.

Try watching a movie Over Here ---->

And Playing a game Over Here <

And have all the game sounds all the way over here
    >

and it will drive you up your left testicle.
    What I need to find out how to do is have the sound come through the surround sound system.
    I have a surround system that I havent had the place too set it up since I moved. But anyway on that setup youd just plant the HDMI into the Set Top Box and do the rest of the voodoo **** on the box - its been too long. cant remember.

Advertisement