Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Countdown Tuesday..

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Brian's got some jaw on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

5.18pm "We have reached agreement with Portsmouth for the transfer of Niko Kranjcar to the club," reads a statement from Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Het-Field wrote: »
    Unlikely. I believe the Hammers already offloaded Collins (another International Center Defender). Doubt they could lose two in one day.

Im really getting fed up with Spurs and their transfer policy. They are saturating the amrket by buying whoever they can find. Deadline day will always see them pull in two or three needless panic signings. Equally, their blatent tapping up of players drives me insane

The SSN reporter at Spurs said a car with the plates 'MJU' (his initials) and someone who looked like Upson in the car drove in at 5pm.
    Maybe something will come out later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Unlikely. I believe the Hammers already offloaded Collins (another International Center Defender). Doubt they could lose two in one day.

Im really getting fed up with Spurs and their transfer policy. They are saturating the amrket by buying whoever they can find. Deadline day will always see them pull in two or three needless panic signings. Equally, their blatent tapping up of players drives me insane

Kranjcar was definitely not needless - Modric is out for at least 6 weeks with a broken leg, so we don't have a proper left-sided player that's not injured (or capable) at the club. Last year Pavlyuchenko was bought on the last day to fill a striker void, and over Christmas Palacios was bought - I don't see where the panic buys are there? Sure, in years gone by it happened, but over the last few seasons it hasn't. Plus they're all excellent players, ready to slot straight into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Saturating the market?

We signed three first team players this summer...Crouch to replace Bent, Bassong to cover for the injured woodgate, King and Dawson and Kranjcar to Cover for Modric and strengthen the midfield.

Hardly excessive.

and as for tapping up I dont see how we engage it any more than other teams......your very naive if you think Spurs are the only team to "tap up" players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

TBH I think Spurs and Harry have made some super signings. Bassong fills a Ledley King shaped void in Centre Defence when either him or Woodgate are missing. I would have reckoned they could do with another top centre half like Upson, Hangeland, Steven Taylor or David Wheather as King and Woodgate are always injured.

Kranjcar is a very good player and a bargain at what they aer rumoured to have paid for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Saturating the market?

We signed three first team players this summer...Crouch to replace Bent, Bassong to cover for the injured woodgate, King and Dawson and Kranjcar to Cover for Modric and strengthen the midfield.

Hardly excessive.

and as for tapping up I dont see how we engage it any more than other teams......your very naive if you think Spurs are the only team to "tap up" players.

Harry Redknapp publicly tapps up players every time he is on Sky Sports News. Tapping Up extends to any form of action which seeks to unsettle a player. Harry Redknapp always mentions "I like that boy", "He would be a real asset" etc in every interview. See how many other managers do that on a regular basis. The window is only closed, and if Spurs havent got Upson, you can guarantee that Harry will be talking about him tomorrow in the run up to January 1st

People like Pascal Chinmobda, Alan Hutton, Steed Malbranque, Wayne Routledge, Frazier Campbell, Ricardo Rocha, Ben Ailnwick all spring to mind as panic buys or at least attempts to saturate the market. Most have ended up on the fringes, and have been sold or loaned

Plus,the necessity of lads like Bentley is also something which should be questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

comic%20book%20guy%20explaining.gif

Worst Transfer Deadline Day ever!

Harry Redknapp publicly tapps up players every time he is on Sky Sports News. Tapping Up extends to any form of action which seeks to unsettle a player. Harry Redknapp always mentions "I like that boy", "He would be a real asset" etc in every interview. See how many other managers do that on a regular basis. The window is only closed, and if Spurs havent got Upson, you can guarantee that Harry will be talking about him tomorrow in the run up to January 1st

So basically your problem is Harry is too blatant about it? He should be a little more kosher about it and only do it behind close doors like the rest. Every manager of every club in England taps up. Its always been that way.

Plus is it such a big deal that a manager says he likes a player and thinks he is a good footballer? Managers say that sort of thing all the time.

People like Pascal Chinmobda, Alan Hutton, Steed Malbranque, Wayne Routledge, Frazier Campbell, Ricardo Rocha, Ben Ailnwick all spring to mind as panic buys or at least attempts to saturate the market. Most have ended up on the fringes, and have been sold or loaned

Plus,the necessity of lads like Bentley is also something which should be questioned.

Pascal Chimbonda was our first choice RB for two seasons.

Hutton replaced him and still plays all the time when Corluka is covering for CB.

Malbranque first choice LM for at least one season.

Frazier Campbell came at 11.59 last transfer window in the Berbatov debacle.

Ricardo Rocha was bought as a third choice CB.

Routledge and Alnwick were bought as young players with potential...pretty similiar to signings made by all clubs.

I dont see how any of those signings prove your point....most of them were key players for us (Hutton still is) and the remainder just didnt work out. No different to any club.

• Advertisement

So basically your problem is Harry is too blatant about it? He should be a little more kosher about it and only do it behind close doors like the rest. Every manager of every club in England taps up. Its always been that way.

Plus is it such a big deal that a manager says he likes a player and thinks he is a good footballer? Managers say that sort of thing all the time.

Pascal Chimbonda was our first choice RB for two seasons.

Hutton replaced him and still plays all the time when Corluka is covering for CB.

Malbranque first choice LM for at least one season.

Frazier Campbell came at 11.59 last transfer window in the Berbatov debacle.

Ricardo Rocha was bought as a third choice CB.

Routledge and Alnwick were bought as young players with potential...pretty similiar to signings made by all clubs.

I dont see how any of those signings prove your point....most of them were key players for us (Hutton still is) and the remainder just didnt work out. No different to any club.

They dont say it all the time. David O Leary mentioned it to me that it should no be done. Redknapp is doing it at all times. If he does it overtly, then it can be guaranteed that he does it behind the backs of the publics whatching eyes. While you can argue (with some validity) that some of the players mentioned were more then just market saturation (even though Malbranque was shifted around quite a bit, and Chimbonda's second coming looked like a flagrant attempt to prevent Hull, Newcastle, and West Ham getting their hands on him), I wont accept that Harry Redknapp (and by extension Tottenham Hotspur FC) are not the Number 1 Culprits in overt tapping up

They dont say it all the time. David O Leary mentioned it to me that it should no be done. Redknapp is doing it at all times. If he does it overtly, then it can be guaranteed that he does it behind the backs of the publics whatching eyes. While you can argue (with some validity) that some of the players mentioned were more then just market saturation (even though Malbranque was shifted around quite a bit, and Chimbonda's second coming looked like a flagrant attempt to prevent Hull, Newcastle, and West Ham getting their hands on him), I wont accept that Harry Redknapp (and by extension Tottenham Hotspur FC) are not the Number 1 Culprits in overt tapping up

I think ManU are at least as bad if not worse but again thats from what we see in the media....we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and I just cant for a second believe this behaviour is not widespread.

Of course you also have to ask yourself in the modern game is tapping up really the big deal its often made out to be? I mean if a manager admires a player why shouldnt the player know (and Im saying this as a Spurs fan who lost Berbatov and Keane with a lot of this stuff hanging over the moves).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think ManU are at least as bad if not worse but again thats from what we see in the media....we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and I just cant for a second believe this behaviour is not widespread.

Of course you also have to ask yourself in the modern game is tapping up really the big deal its often made out to be? I mean if a manager admires a player why shouldnt the player know (and Im saying this as a Spurs fan who lost Berbatov and Keane with a lot of this stuff hanging over the moves).

go on.......

I dont disagree with Man Utd, and I still remember the Keane move as being an absolute disgrace. Equally, United lost Ronaldo in a particularly disgraceful way, and Madrid had the gall to tell United what they would pay for him. Im glad United screwd them for a fairly pretty penny.

However, the level of players Spurs are going for (great players, but just short of World Class) are very prone to respond to tapping up. Lads like Bentley, Bellamy, Scotty Parker etc. These are superb players, however, they will get their tails up when Harry publicly mentions how he would like to sign X player, and Y Player. Spurs will always be flying close to Champions League. As such, these type of players will naturally be disposed to want away from an underperformaing club, and this interest will almost always result in a transfer request.

I just find it difficult to give Redknapp any leeway, as he knows what he is doing when he mentions his liking for Matty Upson etc. He is not saying it to be nice, and I wouldnt believe that you would think that thats all it is.

I dont disagree with Man Utd, and I still remember the Keane move as being an absolute disgrace. Equally, United lost Ronaldo in a particularly disgraceful way, and Madrid had the gall to tell United what they would pay for him. Im glad United screwd them for a fairly pretty penny.

However, the level of players Spurs are going for (great players, but just short of World Class) are very prone to respond to tapping up. Lads like Bentley, Bellamy, Scotty Parker etc. These are superb players, however, they will get their tails up when Harry publicly mentions how he would like to sign X player, and Y Player. Spurs will always be flying close to Champions League. As such, these type of players will naturally be disposed to want away from an underperformaing club, and this interest will almost always result in a transfer request.

Its the same story with us though tbh...our players will always want away when the likes of ManU/Pool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Madrid/Milan etc.etc. come knocking. Its just the way of the world.

The thing I dont get about the tapping up outrage is what is the point of tapping up? Surely if spurs make a bid to west ham for Matty Upson it indicates to Upson he is wanted?

West Ham either except the bid or they dont....if they do Upson either wants to come or he doesnt, I dont see how a quote from Harry that he rates Upson could make that much of an impact on the decision.

I just dont see why people get so worked up about tapping up.

Its the same story with us though tbh...our players will always want away when the likes of ManU/Pool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Madrid/Milan etc.etc. come knocking. Its just the way of the world.

The thing I dont get about the tapping up outrage is what is the point of tapping up? Surely if spurs make a bid to west ham for Matty Upson it indicates to Upson he is wanted?

West Ham either except the bid or they dont....if they do Upson either wants to come or he doesnt, I dont see how a quote from Harry that he rates Upson could make that much of an impact on the decision.

I just dont see why people get so worked up about tapping up.

Contractually they are bound to play for a specific team. It is to do with the ability of that player to fulfil that obligation without fetter, by virtue of speculation that a club wishs to come in for them. Remember countless players who have beens suspended by clubs, left to rot in the reserves, and those who have gone on strike to engineer a move. These moves tend to be based on hearsay, which develops in the tabloids. Redknapp likes to create this by making seemingly irrelevant comments about who he "rates", and who he "likes". This is natuarlly unsettelling, and Redknapp has a reputation for acting on the statements he makes.

Tapping up has been detrimental for smaller clubs, when thier bigger players get a little but ahead of themselves, and hear of a potnetial move up the ladder. My problem is, Spurs have been at it for ages, Jol was also appalling for it. But if Harry is flagrant in his public tapping up of players, then one could only imagine what he is like behind the scenes.

• Advertisement

Contractually they are bound to play for a specific team. It is to do with the ability of that player to fulfil that obligation without fetter, by virtue of speculation that a club wishs to come in for them. Remember countless players who have beens suspended by clubs, left to rot in the reserves, and those who have gone on strike to engineer a move. These moves tend to be based on hearsay, which develops in the tabloids. Redknapp likes to create this by making seemingly irrelevant comments about who he "rates", and who he "likes". This is natuarlly unsettelling, and Redknapp has a reputation for acting on the statements he makes.

Tapping up has been detrimental for smaller clubs, when thier bigger players get a little but ahead of themselves, and hear of a potnetial move up the ladder. My problem is, Spurs have been at it for ages, Jol was also appalling for it. But if Harry is flagrant in his public tapping up of players, then one could only imagine what he is like behind the scenes.

But would you be OK with a club making a bid for the player? My point is I dont really see much difference, both are just a way to indicate interest.

The other thing to bear in mind is we dont know what happens behind the scenes between the clubs. Lets say Fergie rings up Spurs and says he wants Berbatov....is that immoral? or what if Berbatov is never informed about the interest? Is that immoral on spurspart?

What happens if United make a 12 million bid for Berbatov? Obviously berbatov is not going for that money but interest has been signalled? Would people be outraged by this behaviour?

I just feel the way the modern game works tapping up is a minor thing and not the issue its made out to be by ITV documentaires with sinister music and clubs with grievances(such as my own) showing faux-outrage at dirty dealings.

Im waffling on here but bottom line: If Manu/Pool had never uttered a word about Berbatov/Keane would things have ened up any differently?

The only difference I can think off is Spurs getting less money for them.:p

But would you be OK with a club making a bid for the player? My point is I dont really see much difference, both are just a way to indicate interest.

The other thing to bear in mind is we dont know what happens behind the scenes between the clubs. Lets say Fergie rings up Spurs and says he wants Berbatov....is that immoral? or what if Berbatov is never informed about the interest? Is that immoral on spurspart?

What happens if United make a 12 million bid for Berbatov? Obviously berbatov is not going for that money but interest has been signalled? Would people be outraged by this behaviour?

I just feel the way the modern game works tapping up is a minor thing and not the issue its made out to be by ITV documentaires with sinister music and clubs with grievances(such as my own) showing faux-outrage at dirty dealings.

Im waffling on here but bottom line: If Manu/Pool had never uttered a word about Berbatov/Keane would things have ened up any differently?

The only difference I can think off is Spurs getting less money for them.:p

When it comes to a bid, it is likely the proper etiqutte has been followed i.e, the club has given their player permission to talk with the other club. Remember, the player belongs to the club, and is under contract to the club. They should be entitled to deal with that players dealings as they wish. Unsolicited discussions may also lead to backhanders, brown envelopes etc, and it is proven that that has been happenning all over the world. rEMEMBER 1994 ? Spurs almost started a season without a position in the FA Cup, on -12 points, and with a 1.500,000 fine (which was the price of a decent player in those days).

The attitude towards tapping up is necessay. An I hope it continues. Its a nasty practice, which hits the smaller teams hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Everton getting Heitinga is a fantastic signing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

No deals announced late then?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Has the Richard Dunne deal gone through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Has the Richard Dunne deal gone through?

no not exactly

it'll be done tomorrow,it's like the Arshavin deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

pompey and sunderland agree £11m for crouch, who then flies up there for a medical. Sunderland pull out because crouch doesn't want to move north. Crouch then goes back to pompey and tells them that of he is going to leave pompey he will only go to spurs. Spurs then make an offer of £9m which due to financial difficulties pompey have to accept because they are desperate to sell crouch.

I'd love to know what happened on the way to sunderland that made peter crouch decide out of the blue he will only play for spurs before any approach by spurs has been made.

Advertisement