Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With Modric out ??

Options
  • 30-08-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

What is the best alternative ??

Keane droping back to LMF and crouch up top with Defoe ??

or

Lennon left, Bentley right

What do you reckon ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

I wouldn't want to see too much disruption to the team, chopping and changing positions, just when we are on such a roll. So i would favour bringing someone in as a direct replacement for Modric. Internally it would be Bale if fit (where is he? Still injured?) or maybe even O'Hara. Wildcard would be Dos Santos, but i can't see Harry throwing him in at the deepend against Man U & Chelsea. If we were to sign someone I would go for Ashley Young & maybe use Bentley as part of the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I'd be very surprised if villa allowed ashley young to leave. I see were being strongly linked to david james tonight.

I like gio , think he deserves a shot on the left imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 xSupernova91x

I bet 'Arry's disappointed he let Jamie O Hara out on loan now. For me it came as a bit of a shock as I thought he would be quite a useful player to have in the squad this year.

Ricky's right, a like for like replacement would be more appropriate.

Ashley Young won't be going anywhere, unfortunately.

All in all brilliant start to the season, however, far greater challenges are yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Exremely dissapointed that O'Hara has gone out on loan. With Luka out for probably 2 months, we could have done with O'Hara filling in.

I could easily see Robbie dropping back to midfield and Crouch starting with Defoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 xSupernova91x

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I could easily see Robbie dropping back to midfield and Crouch starting with Defoe.

I can see it happening too but we would then be changing a winning system and Keane will no longer be able to have as big an influence on games if he is stuck out on the left.

Interesting to see what happens though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I can see it happening too but we would then be changing a winning system and Keane will no longer be able to have as big an influence on games if he is stuck out on the left.

Interesting to see what happens though.

i think Robbie is the type who would relish the repsonsibility, plus he's a great reader of the game and his short and medium range passing ability is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

keane to play LM and defoe and crouch up front, cover is gone were down to the bare bones utilising strikers as midfielders and the cb positon is a big problem i hope some of the rumoured targets missouko brown mcgeady are runners ,defensively without king/woody we,re riding our luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

curraghyid wrote: »
    keane to play LM and defoe and crouch up front, cover is gone were down to the bare bones utilising strikers as midfielders and the cb positon is a big problem i hope some of the rumoured targets missouko brown mcgeady are runners ,defensively without king/woody we,re riding our luck.

Read somewhere today that Woody is back training.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i think also robbie out too LM is the way to go. Moving Lennon would be madness seeing as he's beating people for fun and starting to really wip in balls.

I think defoe and crouch should go up front. He's been unlucky not to have scored 4 or even 5 in his last two games.

Has Bently got much of a left foot? See we know robbie can pass well and he wipped in a good cross with his left on saturday.

I also think Harry will put Keano LM and bring Crouch in, but i don't necessarily agree with this.

IMO we have a settled pattern of team-play and we should keep any disruption to the 'winning formula' as minimum as is humanely possible.

From what i've seen in the past, Crouch's great ability to win higher balls & aerial challenges means that his team-mates inevitably start aiming longer and longer balls up to him. My worry is how this change could effect our pattern of play which has up to now been successfully based on sharp movement and inter-passing of the front 4, supplied through midfield by Hudd & Pal.

Don't get me wrong, Keane on the left and Crouch/Defoe up front could be just as successful. I hope it is. Its just the change in team dynamics is a risk we actually don't need to take.

The reality is, by replacing Luca like-for-like (O'Hara, Gio, or whoever), it doesn't really matter about the strengths or weaknesses of the individual chosen to replace him.

The key is, IMO, to maintain the successful functioning of the TEAM & keep changes in the way the team is playing at the moment to a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I also think Harry will put Keano LM and bring Crouch in, but i don't necessarily agree with this.

IMO we have a settled pattern of team-play and we should keep any disruption to the 'winning formula' as minimum as is humanely possible.

From what i've seen in the past, Crouch's great ability to win higher balls & aerial challenges means that his team-mates inevitably start aiming longer and longer balls up to him. My worry is how this change could effect our pattern of play which has up to now been successfully based on sharp movement and inter-passing of the front 4, supplied through midfield by Hudd & Pal.

Don't get me wrong, Keane on the left and Crouch/Defoe up front could be just as successful. I hope it is. Its just the change in team dynamics is a risk we actually don't need to take.

The reality is, by replacing Luca like-for-like (O'Hara, Gio, or whoever), it doesn't really matter about the strengths or weaknesses of the individual chosen to replace him.

The key is, IMO, to maintain the successful functioning of the TEAM & keep changes in the way the team is playing at the moment to a minimum.

I think you def have a point. I would like to have seen how are "best" team would have faired against a united team high on confidence.

You never know with harry, he seems to really want to keep playing defoe/keane up there(rightly so imo) i'm just not sure who we could move in there now that o'hara is gone. I think duff woud have been a good signing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

As somebody said above, I would love to seen Bale against Utd on the left - is he injured?

Keane dropping is the obvious, but for some reason I'd prefer to see Bentley out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Niko Kranjcar from Portsmouth is a rumoured signing. I reckon he could do a good job filling in for Modric.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

What is the best alternative ??

Keane droping back to LMF and crouch up top with Defoe ??

or

Lennon left, Bentley right

What do you reckon ??

Defo would'nt fancy dropping keane dropping in on the left, thats acomodating him for me. Id play krancjar out there :D

Problem solved - Kranjcar to fill in for Modric??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

That would be the answer if the deal goes through, lets hope it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Kranjcar it is. 2 mil? Bargain.

Advertisement