Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat litter!

Options
  • 30-08-2009 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

We have one kitten, and her litter box is in the corner of the living room as the kitchen is tiny and we dont particularly like having her in there. So the livingnroom pongs of kitten poop, not nice to come home to after a day at college :( would anyone have any suggestions?? so called odourless cat litter doesnt work! the window is left ajar but it doesnt really help.
    tanx:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

There is a cat litter that is like a white crystal, not exactly sure what the name of it is. It is good for reducing the smell, when the cat goes first there is a smell but within an hour the smell is usually gone, you just have to empty the part out that the cat went in because the crystals all kind of clump to it. Good for urine too, it absorbs the smell. Not flushable in toilet though. It is pricey in comparison to some of the cheap cat litters but if the box is in your living room, it would be well worth it to reduce the smell. I buy mine in Petstop in Blanchardstown (purple bag with blue/white crystals).

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I've found Asan and Fresh'n'Easy cat litter both help tremendously with smell reduction.

Asan is made from the same stuff they use in baby nappies (distributed by the people who do Arden Grange food) and the Fresh'n'Easy is a Sillicate litter like the one mentioned by the poster above.

You can reduce the smell of your cats poo by feeding a high quality Indoor dry food and sticking to fresh meat for treats, not supermarket type pouches. The more your cat drinks the less their pee will smell so it's worth investing in a water fountain (not to mention the health benefits of your cat drinking more water) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

tanx for the replies so far guys, keep em coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Ado86 wrote: »
    There is a cat litter that is like a white crystal, not exactly sure what the name of it is

I think you mean "litter pearls"? if not its something similar anyway.

Litter pearls are not suitable for kittens but the same company make "Nullodor" which is perfect for kittens. One bag = one tray for one month, you just remove the poop and give it the odd stir - magic! :)

The Asan litter is fab but I've heard back from some customers with kittens that they prefer the texture of the nullodor.

Cats eh? :rolleyes: so fussy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I tried my cats with the crystals, but they hated the texture (or something about it!) and wouldn't use it after trying it once or twice. It definitely does work though and there is NO smell with it. But I have heard that lots of cats don't like it - which is a killer if you've shelled out 20 or 30 squids!

The biggest thing I found for minimizing stinkies is to feed a pricier cat food! Sorry - I know you are a student so probably on a budget but try shopping online (zooplus.co.uk is quite cheap). I feed mine Royal Canin Neutered Cat and the poo isn't that smelly once they've buried it in the tray. I was looking after a cat for a friend - she was feeding it tinned food from Lidl - I couldn't believe the stink!!! :eek: I gradually switched him over to Royal Canin as I had a big bag of it, and things improved greatly.

I can never remember the name of the cat litter I use, but you can get it in Pet Mania shops if there is any near you. It comes in a big plastic bag and is natural clay mixed with baking soda. It also hides the smell really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I used to have that problem with my two but I switched them onto dry food and things have really changed for the better. I feed them Orijen and it can be a bit pricey but a big bag lasts ages and they often do special offers on zooplus.ie. I have also changed to Cats Best OKO Plus litter from zooplus. It's really absorbent and also flushable if you're stuck for disposal.
    I don't think you'll ever remove the smell completely but my house smells a lot better since I changed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I light a candle every so often near my kittens litter tray and it seems to get rid of the smell, that and cleaning out the litter tray as soon as something goes into it! Just make sure kittens can't knock the candle off and set the place on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 loopy83

Do you have a covered litter box? We have one of these for our one year old cat and there's no smell at all. She started off using a normal litter tray then we bought a covered tray after a few weeks and she adapted to it straight away. It's brilliant, no more smell and a lot less litter kicked all over the floor! Think it cost around €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

tanx for the advice guys! think we may try new food and think about a covered litter tray. will chat to the flatmates 1st and see wot they think, although they havent had to live with the smell yet lol:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Changing the food can make a huge difference. Switching my cats from cheap supermarket brands to Orijen was the best move I ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Royal Canin Indoor 27 has odour control with 60% less smell factor. It'd be no harm trying it if your kitty is indoor only. It's expensive to buy but they need less of it, so if you work it out, it's actually cheaper than supermarket brands.
    Just a note on Orijen, their protein levels are very high. If you are feeding a dry only diet with cats, they are more prone to crf. If they do get it & are getting that level of protein, it can be detrimental.

Advertisement