Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business in a year?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Is it possible to teach myself business and get a high grade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Well I don't know about by yourself; but if you can get into a repeats class or something do. I did it. I dropped physics at the start of 6th and took up business instead. I got, I think it was a C2. It didn't go too well, thought I would have done worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yes it is possible.

I took up business half way through 5th year and got an A2 using the 'Business online' book which was excellent. I did get grinds every so often for about half a year though which I felt were important to clarify certain things and for exam strategy. Business is definitely a subject where you need to be well prepared and have a great knowledge of the format of the exam before sitting it. Timing is crucial (nearly as bad as history tbh!). There's also quite a good bit of learning in it but if you do this you should be fine. There shouldn't be anything on the course that you'll have trouble 'understanding'. Just know your stuff and know the layout of the exam paper and you'll be grand.

So yeah it's definitely doable in a year but I would strongly advise that you get a grind or two for the reasons I mentioned above.
    Good luck!

Edit: I should also mention that even though the book I used (Business online) is considered the the best book for business, there was some material which you need to know for the exam missing from it. (legislation regarding units 1,2 and 3 mostly). I wouldn't have known this without the grinds! So don't think just learning off the book will get you an A because it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I'm ment to be taking it up for 6th year,I dropped it after the first class in 5th but the prinicpal wants me too take up one more subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

do you think it would be possible to teach yourself business and economics in one year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

yup i took up business entirely by myself at the start of 6th year and finished the course before christmas and in the leaving i ended up getting a B1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Hols

If you're interested in business and can apply it 2 your life for examples its so easy to learn and remember its an easy A or B.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I really don't think it is possible because its a pritty long course and the answers have to be very detailed aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I did business for the Leaving Cert and got an A2 this year. To be honest it is possible to do little bits over the year i.e. being consistent from day 1 and not cramming at the end, and get a very good grade. After that it's just timing, exam technique and practising questions. It's a long course but many people do tend to leave out unit 6 or 7, which lightens the workload but seriously damages your chances of picking questions in the exam..

Business does have the reputation of being a easy subject. However there is a lot to learn and good timing techniques are needed. For this reason I wouldn't recommend studying this subject alone as you do need someone to clarify things with, and to make sure you're actually learning the stuff overtime. Seriously you wouldn't want to cram this subject as it would wreck your head.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

Im only taking it up at the start of fifth year (havent done it for the junior) does it make a difference and would it be possible to get a good result if i put the work in? I skimmed through an old business book and some of it seems straight forward.Also would I be eligible to do higher level for the leaving? whats the difference compared to ordinary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Im only taking it up at the start of fifth year (havent done it for the junior) does it make a difference and would it be possible to get a good result if i put the work in? I skimmed through an old business book and some of it seems straight forward.Also would I be eligible to do higher level for the leaving? whats the difference compared to ordinary?

Its a fairly straight forward course tbh. I did it in the junior and was terrible at it partially due to accounting. Have had no trouble with it during fifth year and its fairly interesting. You'd have no trouble with it as long as you put the work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

I would say it is very possible. In 4th year we had about 5 differant teachers for business and and our year was full of wasters and did absolutely nothing. Didn't really start to take business seriously in 5th year until after the mock results which reflectled what i had done in 4th year...nothing!

After the mocks got my head down and done alot of craming the week of the exam and managed a C1.

So if you start studying regulary now at the start if the year you could do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

Does it involve much like budgets etc? I looked at my friends book from last year and that seemed more geared towards money and bugets and all that but the leaving cert one seemed more based on setting up a bussines,people in business,markets etc would that be true? Or does some of the junior cycle business come in to it a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Does it involve much like budgets etc? I looked at my friends book from last year and that seemed more geared towards money and bugets and all that but the leaving cert one seemed more based on setting up a bussines,people in business,markets etc would that be true? Or does some of the junior cycle business come in to it a bit?

Theres one or 2 chapter on budgets and the likes and some formulas. But its mainly along the lines of stuff like entrepeneurs, insurance, managing a business etc..
    It'd be worth your while looking up exam papers for a better idea.:D

Advertisement