Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz: transit visa vs eVisitor

Options
  • 30-08-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭

Mr Just and I are travelling to NZ for a holiday.

On the way back, we've got a long stop in Sydney (arrive 7:50am, depart 6:05pm), so I'm investigating transit visas and the like. (I'm Kiwi, Mr Just is a UK citizen).

What I think I'm seeing on the Oz immigration site is that he (we? I haven't looked for me yet) should get a transit visa, and that doing this requires us to fill out a hard-copy form and post it.

But there's also a visitor visa, which can be applied for on-line.

Is this really right, ie we need to do the hard-copy form thing for <72 hours but could do it the simply-on-line way for longer?

Or am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

JustMary wrote: »
    Mr Just and I are travelling to NZ for a holiday.

On the way back, we've got a long stop in Sydney (arrive 7:50am, depart 6:05pm), so I'm investigating transit visas and the like. (I'm Kiwi, Mr Just is a UK citizen).

What I think I'm seeing on the Oz immigration site is that he (we? I haven't looked for me yet) should get a transit visa, and that doing this requires us to fill out a hard-copy form and post it.

But there's also a visitor visa, which can be applied for on-line.

Is this really right, ie we need to do the hard-copy form thing for <72 hours but could do it the simply-on-line way for longer?

Or am I missing something obvious?

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/771/

says
    You must apply for this visa outside Australia. You must also be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

You can lodge your application by mail or in person at a departmental office outside Australia.

It appears that you do need this before! I would assumed you can get it at the airport, but it appears not to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hussey wrote: »
    It appears that you do need this before! I would assumed you can get it at the airport, but it appears not to be the case

That's what's getting me:

If we apply for a e-visitor, we can do it on line and 'tis easy - and it's for up to 3 months.

If we apply for a transit visa, I have to print out a ten page form and mail it in.

Just doesn't make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

When did immigrations ever make any sense

Advertisement