Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of a firearm

Options
  • 30-08-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Just a quick question lads we have an old shotgun at home that my grandfather passed down to me however i have no use for it and i certainly don't want to pay €80 or prove that i need it when i don't. Its an old side by side the barrel and trigger have surface rust and the stock is also in poor condition. On the licence it says its an ego other than that i don't know much about it. What is the best way of getting rid of it or destroying it as i'm sure it has little market value?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 .243 express

I think you have to pay 200euro to get it broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

I'm not entirely sure if its in working order and i don't want to sell anyone a dangerous firearm. The last time i used it it fired grand on one barrel but i had a failure to fire on the other. Do the gardai take them in free of charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

What legally is to stop somebody taking an angle Grinder to an old shotgun and cutting it into a million slices, then putting all slices into a carrier bag and showing it to the gardai and getting them to write it off the books?

surely that would be an end to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

flanum wrote: »
    What legally is to stop somebody taking an angle Grinder to an old shotgun and cutting it into a million slices, then putting all slices into a carrier bag and showing it to the gardai and getting them to write it off the books?

surely that would be an end to it?

You would probably be charged with posession of a 'sawed up shotgun'. But seriously, why not phone and ask your local gunshop to take it in, I've done that for a friend who was emigrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sfakiaman wrote: »
    You would probably be charged with posession of a 'sawed up shotgun'. But seriously, why not phone and ask your local gunshop to take it in, I've done that for a friend who was emigrating.
    To be fair, it's a bit rich asking firearms dealers to become the equivalent of skips :eek:.

All these pieces of crap have to be stored securely and all it's going to do is clog up his safe to the extent that he can't do business any more. Never mind the paperwork involved.

There certainly is a case (and I'd say it's becoming essential) for the Gardai to specify what exactly they'll accept as evidence of destruction of a firearm. You can understand that a bag of wood and metal isn't proof that it's an ex-firearm, even if one of the pieces has a serial number on it. There probably has to be some sort of official 'witnessing' of the firearms demise a la Jean de Chastelain.

A tenner says that won't be in the guidelines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

You're on! That's regarding the question of what you do with an unwanted gun being or not being in the guidelines mind, not Jean de Chastelain. Speaking of guidelines, will we see them today?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

rrpc wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a bit rich asking firearms dealers to become the equivalent of skips :eek:.

In the instance I quoted above, the local garda had refused to take the gun. I brought it to a gun dealer who thought he may be able to sell it. The OP has no idea if the gun is worth anything or not. If the gun is worthless the dealer can charge for disposal. The gun is licenced as an EGO, what if it's a EGG, could be worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The FPU said today or tomorrow BTK.

BornToKill wrote: »
    You're on! That's regarding the question of what you do with an unwanted gun being or not being in the guidelines mind, not Jean de Chastelain. Speaking of guidelines, will we see them today?
    I was told they were 'imminent' last Thursday, so whatever that means :confused:

Deal on the tenner and I've no prior knowledge on this :).

• Advertisement

sfakiaman wrote: »
    In the instance I quoted above, the local garda had refused to take the gun. I brought it to a gun dealer who thought he may be able to sell it. The OP has no idea if the gun is worth anything or not. If the gun is worthless the dealer can charge for disposal. The gun is licenced as an EGO, what if it's a EGG, could be worth something.
    Sorry, I was speaking generally. I'm more interested in how these things can be destroyed properly rather than any individual case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nip into the local Garda station,tell them the story that you want to dispose of this gun,and ask them to call down for it,and they should give you a form to sign that you authorise them to destroy the gun...
    Pretty much what I remember of the procedure,when the Gardai recoverd one of my guns butcherd down to criminal use.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nip into the local Garda station,tell them the story that you want to dispose of this gun,and ask them to call down for it,and they should give you a form to sign that you authorise them to destroy the gun...
    Pretty much what I remember of the procedure,when the Gardai recoverd one of my guns butcherd down to criminal use.

Yep thats it basically, Ring the local FO and tell him you dont want it he will take it off you for destruction. I asked that question of our local FO and he said drop it into the station.

I saw the add Ardee had in the ISD and the first thing that went through my head was "what a ppperson" As my local dealer said, I wont charge anything to cut up a gun if a guard or local shooter wants it cut up, its called good will

I saw the add Ardee had in the ISD and the first thing that went through my head was "what a ppperson" As my local dealer said, I wont charge anything to cut up a gun if a guard or local shooter wants it cut up, its called good will
    I think that's what's called a 'f*ck off price'.

It means they don't want to do it and the ad is there to make sure they don't have loads of people calling them to take stuff off their hands.

Between that and the way the shooter was treated a couple of years ago when a certain tent had a "bouncer" at Birr. You can see why Edgar Brothers etc are making a money form Border based RFD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I was talking to a local gundealer in Cork recently and he thinking of putting up the price of scrapping a gun. I believe Ardee are now charging €200 to do it. It is actually cheaper just to relicence. For a gundealer to scrap a gun they have to cut it up, do up all the paperwork and then have it sent off to some place to have the parts encased in concrete and buried which seems to be an awful effort. However said gun dealer did have 2 suggestions on how to scrap it your self, the first was to cut it up with a Grinder, Cut the barrels up and cut up the action, make sure not the cut through the serial numbers. The second was to walk up and down outside the Garda station with it over your shoulder.

What can they do to you if you hand it in to them in a plastic bag. After all the whole idea of these new licencing laws is to reduce the amount of firearms in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Our lot take them down to the local scrap metal merchant and pop them in the next car that is going to be "cubed".A lot less bother,and 100% certain.:)Dont see why a gundealer couldnt do this either.
    Burying in concrete/lead/at sea /whatever.. IMHO is an urban Irish shooting myth.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Our lot take them down to the local scrap metal merchant and pop them in the next car that is going to be "cubed".A lot less bother,and 100% certain.:)Dont see why a gundealer couldnt do this either.
    Burying in concrete/lead/at sea /whatever.. IMHO is an urban Irish shooting myth.;)

your right about the urban myth bit, I watched a dealer cutting up guns a few years back - he simply cut them up with a grinder in the presence of a garda-once the garda was satisfied they were chopped it was a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I was talking to a local gundealer in Cork recently and he thinking of putting up the price of scrapping a gun. I believe Ardee are now charging €200 to do it. It is actually cheaper just to relicence. For a gundealer to scrap a gun they have to cut it up, do up all the paperwork and then have it sent off to some place to have the parts encased in concrete and buried which seems to be an awful effort. However said gun dealer did have 2 suggestions on how to scrap it your self, the first was to cut it up with a Grinder, Cut the barrels up and cut up the action, make sure not the cut through the serial numbers. The second was to walk up and down outside the Garda station with it over your shoulder.

What can they do to you if you hand it in to them in a plastic bag. After all the whole idea of these new licencing laws is to reduce the amount of firearms in the country.

Yeah right, never heard of scrap metal to be recycled that fella. I don't know how the Gardai do it but the PSNI centralises all unwanted and guns to be destroyed in their jurisdiction in one location and cuts them up. The scrap metal is used just as any other bit of scrap steel : it's thrown back into the furnace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I think encasing scrap metal in concrete and burying it in the ground is just as retarded as the next person, but that was what I was told by the gun dealer. They were the reasons he was giving for the high cost of scrapping a gun. How true or false it is I don't care, but the cost of scrapping a gun is nothing more than scandalous.

• Advertisement

I think encasing scrap metal in concrete and burying it in the ground is just as retarded as the next person, but that was what I was told by the gun dealer. They were the reasons he was giving for the high cost of scrapping a gun. How true or false it is I don't care, but the cost of scrapping a gun is nothing more than scandalous.
    And he told you that story because he needed something to justify the high price.

Apparently its cut in three places. When Bailieborough foundary was lit, thats where most of that districts unwanted Firearms ended up.

Apparently its cut in three places. When Bailieborough foundary was lit, thats where most of that districts unwanted Firearms ended up.
    I'm fairly sure the Ardee Sports price is there to discourage people from asking them to destroy firearms; something I'd say they're not equipped to do. The other eejits have seen the price and have decided "if they can charge that, so can we" without actually thinking it through. The end result will be ever more startling explanations of what the process entails including sending them up in the space shuttle to be jettisoned in space in orbit around alpha centauri :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The end result will be ever more startling explanations of what the process entails including sending them up in the space shuttle to be jettisoned in space in orbit around alpha centauri :D
    Tsk Tsk rrpc - you know Alpha Centauri can only be reached by a Starship-class vessel such as the USS Enterprise:eek:
    I think the new Garda guidelines will suggest injection into solar orbit will be sufficient.;)

I think the most RFD have good relationships with the guards and from what I believe there is a standard price (low enough) for destroying a Firearm. And it happens frequently.

I know our FO says drop them in and he'll sort it out.

I know there(RFD) are not a charity, but if Ardee Sports and some others that i have heard tell wanting to charge €200-€100 to scrap a gun well (a) the public will remember and (b)so will the Gardai. Its called human nature..and revenge is a dish best served cold.

Even using a RFD, I have savd money buying in England and NI:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 david5624

Yep thats it basically, Ring the local FO and tell him you dont want it he will take it off you for destruction. I asked that question of our local FO and he said drop it into the station.

Dundrum Gardai accepted one from my father for destruction. With the new regulations, I suspect there will be a few more offered up.

I'm fairly sure the Ardee Sports price is there to discourage people from asking them to destroy firearms
    Although I don't think they'd turn away anyone willing to pay that; and since you don't often see an RFD advertising prices to destroy a firearm, folks not knowing better might see that ad and think they had to pay that.

Sparks wrote: »
    Although I don't think they'd turn away anyone willing to pay that; and since you don't often see an RFD advertising prices to destroy a firearm, folks not knowing better might see that ad and think they had to pay that.
    Yes, but like all feck off prices, if someone's stupid enough to pay it, you're happy enough to take it. :eek:

Yeah, I know - I just wonder at what point you cross over from putting up a "feck off" price to avoid custom, and into putting up a "feck off" price because you know that you'll get some business anyway and this way you'll make more money than if you put up an honest price.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, I know - I just wonder at what point you cross over from putting up a "feck off" price to avoid custom, and into putting up a "feck off" price because you know that you'll get some business anyway and this way you'll make more money than if you put up an honest price.
    Most of the time 'feck off' prices are there because an organisation doesn't have the resourrces or flexibility to do a certain job, but if they absolutely had to is the price that will actually pay them to do it without losing money as a consequence.

It's like asking Sisks to do your attic extension, they can, but they really can't :D

Advertisement