Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Was on the site for ages yesterday looking at the various items, but i bottled it at checkout and removed the Merkur Progress Long Handle 510001 :o
    Ordered the Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap with Aloe and Green Tree and Muhle Modern Best Badger Clear Acrylic Shaving Brush.

I shower beforehand and use no pre-shave products, used to use Simple face scrub but at that time i had to let stubble grow before shaving as neck had to recover from previous shave :rolleyes:

Things have greatly improved with the following weapons ..
    Gillette Sensor Excel
    Palmolive Sensitive Shaving gel with Aloe Vera
    Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Comfort Balm (highly recommend this)

Just can't see my neck handling 2 or 3 passes with the Merkur especially the way Mantic glides the blade downwards, upwards, sideways and every other way on himself !

Had a good flick through the various threads but i still need convincing though the curiosity is getting the better of me to order one !
    Just need a volunteer on Boards now with sensitive neck to make a 10 min YouTube video to convince me :D

Great site by the way with Laser and 3V options to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

derra wrote: »
    Was on the site for ages yesterday looking at the various items, but i bottled it at checkout and removed the Merkur Progress Long Handle 510001 :o
    Ordered the Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap with Aloe and Green Tree and Muhle Modern Best Badger Clear Acrylic Shaving Brush.

I shower beforehand and use no pre-shave products, used to use Simple face scrub but at that time i had to let stubble grow before shaving as neck had to recover from previous shave :rolleyes:

Things have greatly improved with the following weapons ..
    Gillette Sensor Excel
    Palmolive Sensitive Shaving gel with Aloe Vera
    Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Comfort Balm (highly recommend this)

Just can't see my neck handling 2 or 3 passes with the Merkur especially the way Mantic glides the blade downwards, upwards, sideways and every other way on himself !

Had a good flick through the various threads but i still need convincing though the curiosity is getting the better of me to order one !
    Just need a volunteer on Boards now with sensitive neck to make a 10 min YouTube video to convince me :D

Great site by the way with Laser and 3V options to pay.

Thanks derra. If you think you have found something that works for you I would probably stick with it however I think most here would argue that a safety razor would be a step up from the Excel. The Progress is quite expensive so other options to consider would be the Merkur 34c or Mühle R89. If you browse through any safety razor threads you would struggle to find anyone who regrets making the move which speaks volumes for them. Second to the razor a sample pack of blades would be a good idea as everybody seems to have a different favourite that suits their skin. The videos can look a bit daunting but they are great as they reinforce the important aspects of good preparation and technique. Once you start using one and begin carefully it soon becomes second nature.

Cheers for replying Chris.
    Been on the lookout for a while anyway for a new razor and coupled with the fact i stayed in all weekend i have a spare few schillings there so i may as well invest :)

Will order the Merkur Progress long handle as it has adjustable settings, the sample blades and Styptic Pencil.

Do whatever is convenient to you regarding the two separate orders i will have made and no panic.

Regarding the Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap with Aloe and Green Tree, i ordered that assuming i won't be making a balls of the texture as it is just dipping the brush in and away ya go? as well as it is sensitive with Aloe Vera etc

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Chris just a word to say well done on the site, the mix of products is superb. Had a peep on today and delighted to see you have the 4711 colognes. Impossible to resist. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

GD wrote: »
    Chris just a word to say well done on the site, the mix of products is superb. Had a peep on today and delighted to see you have the 4711 colognes. Impossible to resist. :)

[quietly adds the the New Products RSS feed to bookmark toolbar..]

• Advertisement

Cheers Chris, delivery came this morning well packaged.
    Had a go with the Merkur and i have a lot to learn :D
    Used the Derby blade and got couple nicks but not as bad as i thought it would be !
    But all down to technique and practice.
    Will have another gawk at those Mantic videos before next attempt !
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Well Chris, Just ordered some GF trumper soaps off you. Can't wait to try them out :D However can't seem to find the soap refills for the wooden bowls on your site...Do you stock them? :)

Well Chris, Just ordered some GF trumper soaps off you. Can't wait to try them out :D However can't seem to find the soap refills for the wooden bowls on your site...Do you stock them? :)
    Cheers, I do have them just have not gotten around to putting them up:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

All arrived very promptly - wasn't able to try the kit out until today and it was perfect.

Went for Luxury Safety Razor Starter Kit which has:
    Merkur Progress long handle
    Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Avocado (smells lovely)
    and the other bits and pieces

and some extra shaving soap (Taylor Old Bond Street Shaving Soap and Wooden Bowl)

so anyhow - tried out the razor with the soap - used the merkur blade which came with the razor and used the 1st setting - nice shave but really want to try the other blades to get an even closer shave.

no cuts but god the head of the razor is big compared to my mack 3! will take getting used to but I was fine going normal pace which I had worried about before buying. I would recommend including a razor stand in the kit if possible for future ref. just me maybe others this will not suit.

thanks again for the good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hey Chris, just on the site there, had a little win on the football last night and went to buy the luxury starter kit, but the long handled progress is not available.

Any idea when you'll have it back in stock, or could you recommend another long handled adjustable razor?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

hi guys.quick question for ye .I am currently using the proraso pre/post shave cream and am wondering can anyone recommend one of the others on the site for pre shave i like the proraso for post shave but it doesnt seem to do much for me preshave.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Hey Chris, just on the site there, had a little win on the football last night and went to buy the luxury starter kit, but the long handled progress is not available.

Any idea when you'll have it back in stock, or could you recommend another long handled adjustable razor?
    Cheers.

The Progress will be out for the next 2 weeks approx..:(

yabadabado wrote: »
    hi guys.quick question for ye .I am currently using the proraso pre/post shave cream and am wondering can anyone recommend one of the others on the site for pre shave i like the proraso for post shave but it doesnt seem to do much for me preshave.

Geo F Trumper skin food is the one that springs to mind but again I would mainly use it post shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

pawrick wrote: »
    Tried out the razor with the soap - no cuts but god the head of the razor is big compared to my mack 3! will take getting used to but I was fine going normal pace which I had worried about before buying.
    With the Mach 3 you had to hold the handle with your thumb and at least two fingers, perhaps three. Your new razor is heavier. The weight of the head lays the blade against your skin. With my father's ancient Gillette, I just hold it with my thumb and first finger and let it slide. For the Merkur Progress, which I normally use, I add the second finger, very lightly. When I started DE shaving and got cuts and a rash on my neck, it was because I was holding the razor like a Mach 3 and pressing it down. The pressure is almost undetectable to you but you have learned to do that with cartridge razors. It is like holding a paintbrush in both hands. Never push down on a proper razor.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    The Progress will be out for the next 2 weeks approx..:(

:( Dang!! Let us know when ya get 'em in, cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Geo F Trumper skin food is the one that springs to mind but again I would mainly use it post shave.

Agreed, Skin Food is excellent pre/post shave. Becuase it contains glycerine it can help with razor glide. OTOH, you could just get some inexpensive glycerine solution in a pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Didn't realise Chris was posting here.

Ordered two Long handled progress (starter kits) there last week but switched to one long and one short as there was only one long handled left.

Hugely impressed with the service (including getting back to me on a Sunday evening about my order) and extremely fast order turnaround time.

Self and the ould fella are both exceptionally happy with the razors too, I swiped the short handled one because it came with a nice little plastic case :P

Getting to grips with shaving with it now and love it. Much better than crappy mach 3 blades i'd been using.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

MediaTank wrote: »
    Agreed, Skin Food is excellent pre/post shave.
    I use Proraso pre-shave. It hadn't occurred to me that Skin Food could do the same job.

Chris, there's a lack of detail about a scent for the following:

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Geo-F-Trumper-GFT-Shaving-Cream.html

gft65520zoom.jpg

Do GFT products have a default smell\scent? ..or is it neutral, unscented.

Amalgam wrote: »

It's old school man scent - i.e. citrus + wood notes. It's also available as a cologne.

• Advertisement

Thanks i've updated it. The GFT line of products is Trumpers signature fragrance. As MediaTank said it is a citrus / cedar / soapy scent.

MediaTank wrote: »
    It's old school man scent - i.e. citrus + wood notes. It's also available as a cologne.

I'm moving towards that market group, fine so.. ;)

I'm moving towards that market group, fine so.. ;)

If you like that kind of scent, then it's one of the best. And you might also like Eucris cologne from Trumper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I'll have to disagree with Mediatank on this one.I wouldn't consider Trumpers GFT old school at all, I find it the complete opposite in fact i think it's their most fresh and youthful fragrance. It bursts with lemons and has a real summer feel to it, its very like a lemon sherbet. Eucris is the complete opposite, its very very dark, heavy on the oakmoss, you really need to try before you buy, it actually made me feel sick wearing it.
    Trumpers do sample packs for around €5 and they are excellent value, you could also email them and if you ask nicely they will send out some samples for free. Its a great way to try their products.

padi89 wrote: »
    I'll have to disagree with Mediatank on this one.I wouldn't consider Trumpers GFT old school at all, I find it the complete opposite in fact i think it's their most fresh and youthful fragrance. It bursts with lemons and has a real summer feel to it, its very like a lemon sherbet. Eucris is the complete opposite, its very very dark, heavy on the oakmoss, you really need to try before you buy, it actually made me feel sick wearing it.
    Trumpers do sample packs for around €5 and they are excellent value, you could also email them and if you ask nicely they will send out some samples for free. Its a great way to try their products.

Fair enough - YMMV. Good idea on the sample packs.

The best description I have come accross is "an old school scent with a modern twist" :)

Well, I put my order in yesterday, decided against the starter kit and kinda made up my own.

Status shows it on route to customer, hopefully I'll pick it up tomorrow :D.

I got the 2 of a kind pack of blades, any one recommend what to go for first? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Well, I put my order in yesterday, decided against the starter kit and kinda made up my own.

Status shows it on route to customer, hopefully I'll pick it up tomorrow :D.

I got the 2 of a kind pack of blades, any one recommend what to go for first? :)

I'd start with either the Red Personna or Derby.

Hmm, Gran Hermano, I'd have plumped with a Gillette Green or Yellow as a starter blade.

Depending on the facial hair, the Derby can be underwhelming. YMMV, as they say.

I'd be leaning towards the Russian yellows more than the green. Nice sturdy blade. Nothing too fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Don't get me wrong, I like the Gillette yellows and blacks a lot (I've over 100 of each in my blade stash in case they go the way of the Gillette Swedes!) Derby blades never suited me in any razor as I find they tug at my stubble but many swear by them.

I find the Personna a mild but smooth shave and I also have a couple of hundred in the stash. They go well with my more aggressive razors like the slants or heavier open combs.

I suggested the Derby and Personna blades as a starting point as they are more forgiving than the Feathers or black Gillettes when starting out. I've converted several friends and colleagues to DE shaving and most of them seemed happy starting with the IP crystals or red personna blades whilst they found the sharper blades a tad scary at the start.

At the moment I'm rotating mainly between the French Gillette Bleue and the Gillette Thai blades.

Advertisement