Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Got it today, well impressed with the service.

Some weight in the brush I got.
    I forgot to add a stand/holder for the brush, doh!!! Next time :).

Cheers for the extra blades too. Gonna try it all out tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just purchased a dovo straight razor along with some shaving soap and a brush. I'm a lazy shaver so hopefully this will make it a little more enjoyable meaning I'd do it more often!! Plus it seems cheaper in the long run. Besides, you look like a bad ass using a straight razor! :D

Anyone know if there is an easy homemade alternative to a strop? I'll have the razor before I'll have the strop and don't particularly want to have to wait! I've heard using a belt or newspaper would do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Anyone know if there is an easy homemade alternative to a strop? I'll have the razor before I'll have the strop and don't particularly want to have to wait! I've heard using a belt or newspaper would do the trick?
    I don't know about newspaper or belts; perhaps if you really know what you are doing, the tanned side of a belt would work, but I'd wait for the strop. It is alarmingly easy to damage the edge of a straight, and then you have the expense of getting it re-honed (which is another thing I wouldn't try to do myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I would wait for it:) It takes a good while to get used to stropping and its probably best to use a purpose made one before experimenting with any home made tools.

Being using the progress now for the bones of a week. Still getting used to it, but I'm actually enjoying the shave more. Before it was a rush job and probably every 2-4 weeks.

Never used a brush before either and I'm enjoying the ritual :).

My first shave with the progress was ok, the next two were rough enough. Still getting the odd cut.
    I've tried 4 of the blades so far, I tried the Perma Sharp tonight and so far it's the winner. Either that, or I have slightly improved :p.

Using the Speick After Shave Lotion with Witch Hazel, love the stuff. There's a great sting/tightening for 5-10 seconds after applying it. Great smell from it, only thing I have against it is the scent don't last too long.

Overall, I'm glad I stumbled across this forum and discovered DE shaving. Cheers folks.

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Being using the progress now for the bones of a week. Still getting used to it, but I'm actually enjoying the shave more. Before it was a rush job and probably every 2-4 weeks.

My first shave with the progress was ok, the next two were rough enough. Still getting the odd cut.
    I've tried 4 of the blades so far, I tried the Perma Sharp tonight and so far it's the winner. Either that, or I have slightly improved :p.

Using the Speick After Shave Lotion with Witch Hazel, love the stuff. There's a great sting/tightening for 5-10 seconds after applying it. Great smell from it, only thing I have against it is the scent don't last too long.

Overall, I'm glad I stumbled across this forum and discovered DE shaving. Cheers folks.

Glad its working out for you. It really does get even better with time when you skin fully adjusts to the change over, you find the right blade and your technique naturally improves.

Good for you. I'm glad I discovered it as well. Have you tried just resting the edge of your razor on your face and letting it slide along under its own weight? That does most of the work and there are no cuts or raw skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Michael G wrote: »
    Good for you. I'm glad I discovered it as well. Have you tried just resting the edge of your razor on your face and letting it slide along under its own weight? That does most of the work and there are no cuts or raw skin.

That´s good advice! I´m starting to do this myself and the results are great. No cuts and the nightmare I usually have in the middle neck region is much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Got my order today, holy fúck is the straight razor sharp!! :eek:

I ordered a strop off Amazon but it doesn't look like I'm going to get it this week. Does the blade have to be stropped before shaving? If so then I'll wait but I'd love to be able to use it sooner rather than later.

I haven't tried that.

What I've been doin' is, approx a one inch stroke, turn the razor, one inch stroke, clean the razor, one inch stroke again........sort of in wee sections.

• Advertisement

Does the blade have to be stropped before shaving? If so then I'll wait but I'd love to be able to use it sooner rather than later.
    Usually it does. If you have bought one of the very expensive Thiers-Issard razors from France it should be ready to go, but Dovo and most others need to be stropped first. I recommend waiting for the strop and, when it comes, being very slow and patient in using it. I was a bit hasty with mine and I didn't do the blade any good. In fact I wasn't sure of it afterwards so I sent it away to be rehoned. Another €30.

What I've been doin' is, approx a one inch stroke, turn the razor, one inch stroke, clean the razor, one inch stroke again........sort of in wee sections.
    I think you are being too careful about cleaning the razor. I would do four or five short strokes (as you do) before rinsing the razor. But I do think that not putting any pressure on the blade is important. This morning I carelessly put a bit too much pressure on a four-day-old blade and the result was a little patch of rash. I have heard it said that when one is using a straight razor, the stroke should be so light that one should just be trying to wipe off the lather. I have found that lighter is better with the DE as well.

I think you are being too careful about cleaning the razor. I would do four or five short strokes (as you do) before rinsing the razor. But I do think that not putting any pressure on the blade is important. This morning I carelessly put a bit too much pressure on a four-day-old blade and the result was a little patch of rash. I have heard it said that when one is using a straight razor, the stroke should be so light that one should just be trying to wipe off the lather. I have found that lighter is better with the DE as well.

Aye, I'll take it on board, cheers.

What I have found is, that I was more aggressive with my previous razor[sensor excel] and I did do longer strokes, but when I held the progress I knew I had to approach this differently.

Can't be too careful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Usual great service from shaving.ie this week.

Picked up some TOBS Sandalwood Shower Gel (love that smell), DR Harris Aftershave Milk (first impressions very good), and some Speick Shaving Cream which I've heard great things about.

Chris - now that you've got some very tasty Edwin Jagger pieces in - just wondering if will be stocking the range of non-DE handles? Much as I love DE shaving, I still resort to my Gillette Sensor a couple of days a week, and Jagger have some ebony & ivory handles to fit the Sensor which are absolutely beautiful.

GD wrote: »
    Usual great service from shaving.ie this week.

Picked up some TOBS Sandalwood Shower Gel (love that smell), DR Harris Aftershave Milk (first impressions very good), and some Speick Shaving Cream which I've heard great things about.

I was actually thinking that today if shaving.ie sold body/hair shampoo. Is the TOBS the only one available?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Here's the link DeadSkin -

http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Hair-Care/

The TOBS is quality product, havent tried the DR Harris or Pashana.

Guaranteed to wash away your -em- dead skin :o

Here's the link DeadSkin -

http://www.shaving.ie/categories/Hair-Care/

The TOBS is quality product, havent tried the DR Harris or Pashana.

Guaranteed to wash away your -em- dead skin :o

:D:D

The DR Harris & Pashana are just hair shampoo tho', the TOBS is body & hair.

Are there any sample packs available, not just for the shampoo, but for after shave lotions and the like.

just wondering if will be stocking the range of non-DE handles? Much as I love DE shaving.
    Thanks GD. If there is anything you have your eye on from EJ feel free to send through an email and I can arrange to have it included in when we bring in new stock.

Are there any sample packs available, not just for the shampoo, but for after shave lotions and the like.

That was meant to be done a while ago:o I will have to finish that off and get some sample packs of aftershave/cologne together.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    That was meant to be done a while ago:o I will have to finish that off and get some sample packs of aftershave/cologne together.

Cool. There's a great selection there, but it would be very helpful.

I took a chance on the Speick, it didn't matter because I was also taking a chance with my choice of safety razor, but spending another 10/15 euro on something that mightn't go down that well and then possibly another 10/15 euro to try another balm/lotion/cream out.......
    Just a thought :)

• Advertisement

Another good result: ordered online on Sunday evening and it arrived today. Chris, have you considered running for Taoiseach?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I need to replenish some shaving supplies. I've been quite happy with TOBS but am curious as to what DR Harris is like, either Arlington or Marlborough. Has anyone had experience with either of these scents? Is Harris worth twice the price of TOBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

I just ordered this little lot:

1 x Omega Shave Cream in a bowl
    1 x Muhle R106 Traditional Razor
    1 x Muhle Pure Badger Black Shave Brush
    1 x Derby 100 Double Edge Blades Full Box
    1 x Chrome Razor and Brush Stand

I've used electric razors for years but they don't get close enough. When I wet shave (with the usual suspects) I either get a fierce rash or cut myself to ribbons so hopefully my first steps into the world of the safety razor will result in a smooth, rash free and no-pieces-of-bloody-kitchen-towel-stuck-all-over-me-gob shave :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

O'Prez wrote: »
    I just ordered this little lot:

1 x Omega Shave Cream in a bowl
    1 x Muhle R106 Traditional Razor
    1 x Muhle Pure Badger Black Shave Brush
    1 x Derby 100 Double Edge Blades Full Box
    1 x Chrome Razor and Brush Stand

I've used electric razors for years but they don't get close enough. When I wet shave (with the usual suspects) I either get a fierce rash or cut myself to ribbons so hopefully my first steps into the world of the safety razor will result in a smooth, rash free and no-pieces-of-bloody-kitchen-towel-stuck-all-over-me-gob shave :D

You shouldn't have ordered 100 Derby Blades if you are only starting, a sample pack is much better, you'll find some blades are useless and others perfect, its different for everyone. You should cancel the Derbys and exchange for a sample pack.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

padi89 wrote: »
    You shouldn't have ordered 100 Derby Blades if you are only starting, a sample pack is much better, you'll find some blades are useless and others perfect, its different for everyone. You should cancel the Derbys and exchange for a sample pack.

Fully agree, while I use only Derby blades now I tried many blades before I found one's that are right...only then did I buy a 100 pack.

I'd cancel that part of the order before it ships and go with the sample pack

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fully agree, while I use only Derby blades now I tried many blades before I found one's that are right...only then did I buy a 100 pack.

I'd cancel that part of the order before it ships and go with the sample pack

Thanx for the advice lads but it's already shipped. I'll see how I get on with em anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You could always throw them up of the trades thread someone will prolly take them at asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

bothyhead wrote: »
    I need to replenish some shaving supplies. I've been quite happy with TOBS but am curious as to what DR Harris is like, either Arlington or Marlborough. Has anyone had experience with either of these scents? Is Harris worth twice the price of TOBS?

bothy - I use Arlington a good bit-shaving cream and after shave, I love the scent. I'm no good at describing scents but to me it reminds me of citrus with geranium and rose !!! Nice 'Summery' kind of scent

The cream is very high quality no doubt about it, a little slicker/better lube than TOBS imo but whether it's worth the extra I don't know.Maybe you should try a tube if you don't like it I'll buy it off you :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

bothy - I use Arlington a good bit-shaving cream and after shave, I love the scent. I'm no good at describing scents but to me it reminds me of citrus with geranium and rose !!! Nice 'Summery' kind of scent

Thanks CH, you have me sold!

... thought when I overwinter my geraniums in the garage, their smell always reminds me of cat's piss :)

• Advertisement

Another super-fast delivery - thanks Chris!

For anyone interested, I got both AS and shaving cream in Arlington. I haven't used the cream yet, but the AS is quite sweet and flowery. CrowdedHouse mentioned a hint of roses, and indeed is he right ... in fact, it's very rosey. It's more of a refined gentleman's scent than a lumberjack's, but it's very subtle and not over-powering.

Advertisement