Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Just used me stuff for the first time. A few cuts (which is normal I suppose til me skin toughens up) ...especially down around the neck where the growth seems rougher but no razor burn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Good to see EJ Chatsworth on the site but spotted it for almost 10 euro less on TheEnglishShavingCompany with free shipping. So I bought it, not sure I will get the same excellent service as I have gotten from Shaving.ie but in these hard-pressed times getting it a week later is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

seosamh wrote: »
    Good to see EJ Chatsworth on the site but spotted it for almost 10 euro less on TheEnglishShavingCompany with free shipping. So I bought it, not sure I will get the same excellent service as I have gotten from Shaving.ie but in these hard-pressed times getting it a week later is fine.
    Enjoy, It is a very nice razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Shaving.ie
    Kent BK2 Shaving brush 43.99 + 1.95 shipping = 46e

Shaving-Shack.com
    Kent BK2 Shaving brush £27.99 sterling, 10% off for signing up for newsletter. 25 sterling + 6 sterling delivery = £31 or 36e

seosamh wrote: »
    Shaving.ie
    Kent BK2 Shaving brush 43.99 + 1.95 shipping = 46e

Shaving-Shack.com
    Kent BK2 Shaving brush £27.99 sterling, 10% off for signing up for newsletter. 25 sterling + 6 sterling delivery = £31 or 36e
    I can do better than that :) New Kent brushes are due in next week with new prices to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Chris, have you any plans to stock Arlington Eau de Cologne? If you do, you can put my name on a bottle :)

bothyhead wrote: »
    Chris, have you any plans to stock Arlington Eau de Cologne? If you do, you can put my name on a bottle :)
    I have a few in stock :cool:... I will try to get it up tonight if not it will be there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

bothyhead wrote: »

I see you're taking a liking to it.......:)

What did you think of the cream ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Yes, me likes the aftershave! To my nose it seems to have 3 distinct scents: when I first put it on, there is a really strong lemony smell - very like lemon drops sweets. When this dies away, there is a smell of roses, then finally an hour or two later, a lovely soft musk.

The shaving cream, I'm not so sure of. It has the same citrus smell as the AS, but it is really subtle. If you are used to TOBS, then the Harris seems to be rather bland. If you walk into the bathroom half an hour after using TOBS you still get the smell in the air, but with Harris I barely notice it when it is on the brush in front of my nose! Also, it doesn't give me a better shave than TOBS.

Would I buy the AS again? - Definitely
    Would I buy the cream again? - Maybe; I think it is something that will grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

O'Prez wrote: »
    Just used me stuff for the first time. A few cuts (which is normal I suppose til me skin toughens up) ...especially down around the neck where the growth seems rougher but no razor burn :D
    It's not about skin toughening up, it is about your technique. If you have been using overpriced Gillette gadgets you will have got used to putting a certain amount of pressure on them. I am going to be banned from this forum if I say this yet again, but you should never push down, even slightly, on a DE razor. The head is weighted and that does all the work. All you have to do is slide it along as if you were just wiping the soap off your face. This is particularly important if you are shaving across or against the grain. Also you have to check the angle of the blade. If you imagine it on the one hand being at right-angles to your skin and, on the other hand, being flat against it, it should be much closer to the second than the first. Finally, pull your skin tight (not taut) before you put the razor on it; again this is important if you are shaving across or against the grain. It took me weeks to work all this out; at first the rash on my neck convinced me that I was allergic to several kinds of soap or cream. Since I got the hang of it I have had no problems.

Having said that, the odd bit of blood is inevitable if you have a pimple or a spot, or even if you forget to concentrate. But a styptic pencil or the Proraso gel will fix that in an instant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

I'm sick of cartridge shaves, same old excuses, too expensive and not comfortable any more. I was looking into buying the basic essentials starter kit from shaving.ie.

And I am just looking for a bit of advice; firstly, which razor would people recommend between the Merkur 1904, Merkur 34c and Muhle R89? I am leaning towards the Muhle as it looks more comfortable and has a slightly longer handle, from what I can see in the pics.
    Secondly; is there anything else I should consider getting to improve the experience and are brush and razor stands necessary?

Thanks in advance!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I'm sick of cartridge shaves, same old excuses, too expensive and not comfortable any more. I was looking into buying the basic essentials starter kit from shaving.ie.

And I am just looking for a bit of advice; firstly, which razor would people recommend between the Merkur 1904, Merkur 34c and Muhle R89? I am leaning towards the Muhle as it looks more comfortable and has a slightly longer handle, from what I can see in the pics.
    Secondly; is there anything else I should consider getting to improve the experience and are brush and razor stands necessary?

Thanks in advance!!! :D

Personally i am not a fan of Merkur Razors so i would go with either the Muhle R89 or the Edwin Jagger DE89L, my first choice would be the E J.
    The brush is necessary to create the lather from the soap or cream and then to apply to your face, its all part of the DE shaving experience.
    You'll need a soap or cream what you go for is up to yourself and then a sample pack of blades. Some suggest getting a styptic pencil for cuts too but i haven't really used mine but i guess better safe than sorry ;).
    Stand are not needed IMO, they are more a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

padi89 wrote: »
    Personally i am not a fan of Merkur Razors so i would go with either the Muhle R89 or the Edwin Jagger DE89L, my first choice would be the E J.

Just to note both those particular razors have Edwin Jagger razor heads on them.

All you ever really need is razor, brush, shaving cream and a sample pack of blades. I would second padi89's recommendation for the EJ DE89L. There is also currently a 12% discount code for all the EJ shaving range "ej12".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just to note both those particular razors have Edwin Jagger razor heads on them.

Indeed they are just different handles, from what i have read the EJ is better balanced some say the Muhle handle is too light but it's down to preference.

I purchased a EJ89L for my nephew a few weeks back and its a beautiful instrument, the finish is flawless. Don't know what it's like to shave with but my nephew loves it, he is another DE convert.

With the EJ discount you can't go wrong.

Thanks for all the advice and the code, greatly appreciated.

Just placed an order for the following:

Edwin Jagger DE89L
    Blade Sample Pack
    Taylors of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream
    Omega Boar Brush

Really lookin forward to my first shave with the above :)

Thanks for all the advice and the code, greatly appreciated.

Just placed an order for the following:

Edwin Jagger DE89L
    Blade Sample Pack
    Taylors of Old Bond Street Avocado Shaving Cream
    Omega Boar Brush

Really lookin forward to my first shave with the above :)
    Good choice! I'll see if I can get that to you for tomorrow and you'll be set for the weekend.

Great! Thanks a lot!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I am just looking for a bit of advice; firstly, which razor would people recommend between the Merkur 1904, Merkur 34c and Muhle R89? I am leaning towards the Muhle as it looks more comfortable and has a slightly longer handle, from what I can see in the pics.
    I use and strongly recommend the long-handled Merkur Progress http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-Progress-Long-Handle-510001.html because you can adjust it. That makes a real difference because blades are not all the same. If I use a Wilkinson Sword or Merkur blade, I set the razor to 2; but if I use a Japanese Feather blade, which is sharper, I set it to 1½ so I don't have to stand in a puddle of blood and change my underpants.

As for what else you might use, a pre-shave cream like Proraso http://www.shaving.ie/products/Proraso-Pre-and-Post-Shaving-Cream.html is good; so is a post-shave lotion like Trumper's http://www.shaving.ie/products/Geo-F-Trumper-Limes-Skin-Food.html.

I have no connection with shaving.ie; I don't even know the owner; I am just showing you what I think you might like. Welcome to the world of shaving like a man.

Michael G wrote: »
    I use and strongly recommend the long-handled Merkur Progress because you can adjust it. That makes a real difference because blades are not all the same. If I use a Wilkinson Sword or Merkur blade, I set the razor to 2; but if I use a Japanese Feather blade, which is sharper, I set it to 1½ so I don't have to stand in a puddle of blood and change my underpants.

As for what else you might use, a pre-shave cream like Proraso is good; so is a post-shave lotion like Trumper's.

I have no connection with shaving.ie; I don't even know the owner; I am just showing you what I think you might like. Welcome to the world of shaving like a man.

Thanks for the advice man, but I already put in my order. Don't really have the money for a more expensive DE at the moment so I ordered the Edwin Jagger.

I'll probably order some of the more expensive stuff once I get into "shaving like a man" ;)

• Advertisement

What a service! Really wasn't expecting my order today after ordering it yesterday. Amazing service. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Shaving.ie any news on the aftershave samples? Would definitely like some samples before committing to buying one the the larger bottles.

Also I ordered from you a while ago so a belated thanks for the quick delivery and the badger hair brush in the starter kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Shaving.ie any news on the aftershave samples? Would definitely like some samples before committing to buying one the the larger bottles.

Also I ordered from you a while ago so a belated thanks for the quick delivery and the badger hair brush in the starter kit.

Aye, I got some Trumpers for £5 on their website a week or so ago. Not too gone on their shaving cream, but liking the skin food.

There's an excellent selection on shaving.ie, but would really like to try out some samples first though.

Chris has the following retro beast arriving soon.

Merkur Bakelite Safety Razor

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-Bakelite-Safety-Razor.html

merkurbak001.jpg

merkurbak002.jpg

merkurbak003.jpg

I wonder is it 100% proper Bakelite? A fairly finnicky material to produce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

The razor is just a tiny bit similar to the wartime razor from eBay, featured in the Safety Razor thread a while back.

wwiigermanbakelite.jpg

If it comes with a case, I feel a purchase might take place!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

The Bakelite is cool - I want it!

Price Chris??? Shaving Room says around EUR 22 - sounds reasonable ...

Just noticed you're the one that posted the prices on the Shaving Room Forum ...

GD wrote: »
    The Bakelite is cool - I want it!

Price Chris??? Shaving Room says around EUR 22 - sounds reasonable ...

Just noticed you're the one that posted the prices on the Shaving Room Forum ...
    :)

Here are Merkur's new offerings for 2010. Nothing too spectacular apart from the Bakelite model. The RRP prices are below.

38 011 @ €38
    43 002 @ €40
    44 011 @ €32
    45 030 @ €22

It's fairly light too. I like the idea of a DE being close in weight to a disposable. Some days you don't want to be holding\shaving with the equivalent of a spanner.

I like what they're doing with the styling of the 44 011's handle.

44011merkur.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smart Guy

Have to agree with Hitemfrank above that samples would be essential. Even if it was restricted to boards members as we are all addicted to purchasing DE Shaving Bits and pieces but onr thing that is very personal is what someone thinks of an after shave. Last week I bought the 400ml bottle of prorasso and in hindsight would have purchased something else if I had a sample.

In relation to the decants it looks like it will not be possible to go ahead with it. I have not been given the green light from suppliers. This is most likely the reason nobody else is doing it. I know it would be great to have the option there and I would like to have samples so apologies that it can't be implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    In relation to the decants it looks like it will not be possible to go ahead with it. I have not been given the green light from suppliers. This is most likely the reason nobody else is doing it. I know it would be great to have the option there and I would like to have samples so apologies that it can't be implemented.

That's unfortunate.

Advertisement