Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Could be anyone :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Got everything yesterday, really quick delivery.

A couple of things which I first saw the progress I was sure he sent me the wrong one as I ordered the long handle but after a quick google check there is only half an inch between the standard and long handle version. So its all good.

Just had my first shave there, very gently but got through it with just one tiny nick. Quite enjoyed it, however it was pretty scary.

Thanks again Chris and everyone for your help and service, I think I'll be coming back for more as xmas presents for my Dad and brothers.

Also when I first put in the blade in the progress I didn't think I was doing it properly as it was bending but a quick check on youtube confirmed that its meant to bend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

plonk wrote: »
    Got everything yesterday, really quick delivery.

A couple of things which I first saw the progress I was sure he sent me the wrong one as I ordered the long handle but after a quick google check there is only half an inch between the standard and long handle version. So its all good.

Just had my first shave there, very gently but got through it with just one tiny nick. Quite enjoyed it, however it was pretty scary.

Thanks again Chris and everyone for your help and service, I think I'll be coming back for more as xmas presents for my Dad and brothers.

Also when I first put in the blade in the progress I didn't think I was doing it properly as it was bending but a quick check on youtube confirmed that its meant to bend.

You are not the only one to have wondered is the blade meant to bend ;)
    Make sure the top of the Progress is on right
    Glad to hear you enjoyed the switchover. Spend some time on the pre shave prep
    and it helps decrease the scary factor - a hot shower/bath before is the best prep I find.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

plonk wrote: »
    The bending of the blade is an important feature. Sheet metal can only easily bend in one direction at a time, so bending the blade across its axis makes it quite stiff along the blade edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone tempted by the Feather All Stainless ?

Does it come in the wooden box ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone tempted by the Feather All Stainless ?

Does it come in the wooden box ?

I am.. Internal struggle between a bearded angel and a clean cut devil..

Box is basic, prim and proper, in a Japanese style. Unvarnished wood.

featherde1.jpg

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Feather-Stainless-Steel-Safety-Razor.html

---

Here's the Deluxe Version, from the 'Feather-Shop'.

3013003.jpg

Check out the bundled razor stand. Lovely.

---

An extra picture with specifications listed.

featherdeinstruct.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yea must admit I am too...I'd eventually get over the hefty price if I liked the shave, but if I didn't....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Chris, any word on a likely date for that wonderful-looking Bakelite Merkur razor in the travel case? I'd love to try it but I'm holding out for the complete package.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Chris, any word on a likely date for that wonderful-looking Bakelite Merkur razor in the travel case? I'd love to try it but I'm holding out for the complete package.
    Won't be in for a while... The Merkur factory have closed for their summer holidays :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Thanks, Chris. All workers are entitled to their holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got the Geo F Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food today along with Proraso face soap and pre shaving cream.

The Skin Food is great. It really calms down the skin and the smell is lovely. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a post shave lotion/cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

hi guys.im going to put in an order for the Geo F Trumper Skin Food .which one would people here recommend?I have been using the proraso pre/post shave cream the last while and would just like an alternative .i presume the skin food does the same thing.

I've used Sandalwood and Coral, and of the two I greatly prefer Sandalwood.

If you've been using the Proraso as a post-shave cream, you'll find the skin food quite different. It's much more liquid, and leaves your skin feeling a lot more moisturised.

I hate shaving without using the Proraso as a pre-shave cream, but I don't rate it for after shaving.

I've tried the coral, lime and sandalwood skinfood and coral was the only one I didn't like the scent of. They all work equally well and it really is a product where a few drops is all you need post-shave. The scent of all three does not last very long so you can easily use it and then apply aftershave. I like using the sandalwood skinfood in conjunction with DR Harris' sandalwood shaving cream and sandalwood aftershave. I like the rose scent of coral the least.

You can also add a drop of the skinfood to your lather bowl alongside your usual cream. The glycerin in the skinfood can help create super lather with most creams. Another way to use skinfood is to rub a few drops into your stubble before your final razor pass.

You can also add a drop of the skinfood to your lather bowl alongside your usual cream. The glycerin in the skinfood can help create super lather with most creams. Another way to use skinfood is to rub a few drops into your stubble before your final razor pass.
    Ooh, now those are some interesting ideas...

oscarBravo wrote: »

Keep us posted on how it works for you. I find too much in the lather bowl causes the lather to collapse in on itself but 1-2 drops works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

oscarBravo wrote: »

Or better again, apply the Skin Food to the face, let it dry, before the first lathering. This gives a really smooth shave.

I had a play with the Skin Food this morning. I went for a super-blend of lather: I worked a little Wool Fat into the brush to start with, then dipped the brush in my Salter's sandalwood cream, then worked up a lather in my scuttle with a couple of drops of Skin Food. It was probably the richest, creamiest lather I've encountered, and it certainly seemed to help with razor glide.

After my normal three-pass shave (with/across/against), I rinsed, applied a little Skin Food to my wet face, and had a "polishing" pass. The result is an extremely close shave, with no skin irritation at all, and no nicks - the alum block didn't sting in the slightest.

I'm liking this routine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

chris,when do you think you will have the 200ml bottle of Trumper sandalwood skin food back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Thanks for the great ideas on the Trumpers Skin Food as a pre-shave or mix with cream.

Like a previous poster I never really rated it as a post-shave, I had a jar of the Limes gathering dust on my shelf - popped a few drops in with some Speick Shaving Cream in the mug this morning. An amazing slick and thick lather combination. Very pleased with the resulting shave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

yabadabado wrote: »
    chris,when do you think you will have the 200ml bottle of Trumper sandalwood skin food back in stock?
    I don't expect any more Trumpers stock for 5 or 6 weeks.. sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭katnia

I just received Floid Blue today from shaving.ie and I have to say I really like it, it's fantastic. As a recent convert to DE shaving and having no previous experience of these traditional aftershaves, can anyone recommend any other good aftershaves as I would like to have a few options? I'd also like to say that the service from Shaving.ie is excellent and very, very fast.

Just took the dip and purchased a Merkur progress from shaving.ie, have never used a DE razor before, but im sick to death of paying €19 for a 8 pack of mach 3`s, which irritate my neck to the max making it look like i have acne.

Looking forward to giving it a shot since seeing all the positive comments. "shaveme" code gave me 1% off whoowhoo:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

@cisk, Ditto. I ordered a progress and a few other bits and pieces 2 weeks ago from shaving.ie and had evrything I ordered the next day, great service.

point to note on the progress that wasn't immediatly obvious to me is that the removable head part ,to insert the blade, must be put back on the right way otherwise it wont adjust properly and affects the angle of the blade in some way.

I didn't realise this and the first few shaves caused a bit of irritation and redness, I only found out where I was going wrong by watching some youtube vids. since I corrected the problem it's been great....

best of luck
    B

question for shaving.ie , do you have a facebook page? if not, missing out on some free advertising...

Got it today :) Took it for a spin, loaded the blade ok, not sure that the numbers signify. Very impressed, although there was a bit of blood from nicks on my lower neck but not bad for 1st time. Overall alot less irritation and redness. Used the alum block to sooth my neck after. Very close shave, much better than the gimicky mach 3`s.

Bit expensive at 1st but seens as i spent €19 on 8 mach 3 blades last week ill make a big saving from now on. Impressed by shaving.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Chris, is there any chance you'd be selling D R Harris Pink Aftershave, any of the Penhaligons' colognes, Floris No.89, Truefitt and Hill 1805(or any of their stuff) or Knize Ten cologne?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cisk wrote: »
    Got it today :) Took it for a spin, loaded the blade ok, not sure that the numbers signify.

Its a progress so the lower the number the less aggressive the blade (basically the lower number means less space between the blade and razor).

It can take abit of trial and error to find what works for you, for example when I first got mine I started on 2-.25 but now I stick it at 1 and it works perfectly :)
    Very impressed, although there was a bit of blood from nicks on my lower neck but not bad for 1st time.

Don't worry about the blood too much, it'll get better with technique over time.

I've been shaving with a DE since January 2009 I've gotten so used to it that I used a cheap as chips boots 2e DE few weeks back and didn't nick myself once :) Oh and I got a pretty good shave
    Bit expensive at 1st but seens as i spent €19 on 8 mach 3 blades last week ill make a big saving from now on. Impressed by shaving.ie

The initial outlay is high alright but after that blade costs go down like crazy, in my case I've found I can just about get Saturday - Saturday out of one Derby blade. I can buy 100 Derby blades from shaving.ie for 13e :D

Cabaal wrote: »

The initial outlay is high alright but after that blade costs go down like crazy, in my case I've found I can just about get Saturday - Saturday out of one Derby blade. I can buy 100 Derby blades from shaving.ie for 13e :D

Yep exactly, This morning my face and neck are so much smoother and less irritated. This board has some great advice, dont think i ever would of known about DE shaving if it wasnt for this board. Shaving.ie were spot on too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Bought my first DE kit about a month ago now and I have to say I love it. I got and Edwin Jagger, Semouge badger brush, Mitchells Wool fat and Alum block. Love shaving with them and doesnt take too long to get used to it either. A big thanks to Shaving.ie and this forum and members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

katnia wrote: »
    I just received Floid Blue today from shaving.ie and I have to say I really like it, it's fantastic. As a recent convert to DE shaving and having no previous experience of these traditional aftershaves, can anyone recommend any other good aftershaves as I would like to have a few options? I'd also like to say that the service from Shaving.ie is excellent and very, very fast.

Taylors sandalwood is nice, as is D R Harris Arlington...it's got a citrus flavour to it. Also you could try the proraso aftershave...or the orange floid, both are pretty good too.

Advertisement