Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was sick over the xmas so I didn't try out my new DE stuff until I was better (wanted to have my wits about me for the first time!).
    So, I had my first shave yesterday. I used Personna Platinum blades with Mr. Taylor of Bond St. soap.
    I watched plenty of Mantic59 vids but I still wasn't prepared for the 'dynamics' of the Progress shaver (had it on setting #1).

It just took a little getting used to as the Progress head is a lot bigger than what I'm used to (Mach 3).
    The shave was OK but I think I was too impatient on doing up the lather. To be honest with ye, I don't have a proper lather mixing bowl so I bought the only soap dish with handle I could find. I'll need to get a wider bowl though, the dish I used was too narrow and wasn't easy to get a good swirling action if ya know what I mean.

I think I need to take it a bit slower, managed to nick myself but nothing major, it gave me the chance to use a styptic pencil for the first time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

When I was using Prorazo Cream I used my left hand to lather and held the brush while shaving.
    I don't do awkward bits so I only need one hand to shave.

For soap though I just keep swirling on the soap itself until I get a good lather then finish it off on my face. On the face is supposedly an important bit, lifts the hairs.
    My first wasn't amazing either (except for the feel of the sharpness of the blade) it'll take a little while, go slow it's totally worth it :D

yep, I'm going to shave in the evenings for the first few weeks just to allow myself some extra time to get used to the razor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

Right have been using my Merkur Progress, loving it to be honest.

So far the accessories I have are:
    a badger brush, happy with that.
    proraso shaving cream, happy with this for pre shave, but would love for any other ideas for post shave ( some sort of balm or fish food is it? )
    Tayler avocado shaving cream ( I like this but I dont find the smell or scent that strong, any other creams I could use to maybe change it up?)
    Also like a poster above, I am using a cappucino mug which isnt really wide enough for a good swirl (so maybe a shaving bowl?)
    And maybe I would like a stand to display all my shaving gear.

So any help from people with experience would be great. :D

EDIT - Thinking of going with this stand http://www.shaving.ie/products/Chrome-Razor-and-Brush-Stand.html

I've switched from using a large mug to a wide bowl. Granted there's no handle but I'm holding it firmly in the palm of my hand while working the lather with the other hand.
    To be honest, getting a thick & creamy lather is proving tricky enough but practice makes perfect I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've been shaving with my Merkur HD since Friday, and I'm loving it!

I got it for Christmas, with a slight hint to herself (the wishlist on shaving.ie is great!)

I got a HD, the blade sample pack, Muele badger brush, and Proraso Sensitive shaving soap.

Find the Proraso a great soap, numbing enough, but cool, clean and very easy to turn into lather. A hot wet brush, a few swirls, and apply to face. Job done. A few squeezes to get out the super lather in the middle as well.

I've gone through 2 blades so far, the Merkur that came with it and an Astra Superior Platinum. The Merkur killed me with razor rash. But that could have been me getting used to it. 2 days I used it. The Astra after that. Complete dream. Rash gone. Close shave. A few nicks today, but that was me rushing as I was late.

Won't be shaving tomorrow, as I'm off work and want to let it build up a wee bit, but I'll be trying a different blade, possibly the Derby Extra.

Chris will definitely be getting more orders from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I've switched from using a large mug to a wide bowl. Granted there's no handle but I'm holding it firmly in the palm of my hand while working the lather with the other hand.
    To be honest, getting a thick & creamy lather is proving tricky enough but practice makes perfect I guess.
    It does. But another poster talked about "swirling" the brush. That is not enough on its own to build up a lather. I also use a kind of "mashing" motion — pushing the brush up and down into the cream or soap, a bit like using a mortar and pestle. It takes at least a minute to get a good creamy lather. You have probably seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVxXvv_8yk&feature=channel.

Raoul wrote: »
    Any other ideas for post shave ( some sort of balm or fish food is it? )
    Most of the time I use Taylor's Coral Skin Food, which is very soothing and pleasant to use. However during the cold weather I have found that shaving makes my skin very dry and tender (even with Proraso Pre-Shave, Omega cream and Taylor's afterwards) so I have been replacing the Taylor's with a stronger moisteuriser (Boot's No 7). I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
    I bought that. A bit expensive but a lovely bit of equipment. I find the bowl fits beautifully into the palm of my hand and lets me really work the lather.

Michael G wrote: »
    It does. But another poster talked about "swirling" the brush. That is not enough on its own to build up a lather. I also use a kind of "mashing" motion — pushing the brush up and down into the cream or soap, a bit like using a mortar and pestle. It takes at least a minute to get a good creamy lather. You have probably seen this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVxXvv_8yk&feature=channel.

mantic is the man alright, at the moment I can't get enough lather tutorials...sad but it's part of the overall addictive process in the quest for the best DE shave available.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

However during the cold weather I have found that shaving makes my skin very dry and tender (even with Proraso Pre-Shave, Omega cream and Taylor's afterwards) so I have been replacing the Taylor's with a stronger moisteuriser (Boot's No 7). I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
    Check out the Speick products on shaving.ie - I have tried three of them, and love them all. The Speick Intensive is one of the richest moisturisers I've ever used, and Her Indoors loves the fragrance. ;)

• Advertisement

Most of the time I use Taylor's Coral Skin Food, which is very soothing and pleasant to use. However during the cold weather I have found that shaving makes my skin very dry and tender (even with Proraso Pre-Shave, Omega cream and Taylor's afterwards) so I have been replacing the Taylor's with a stronger moisteuriser (Boot's No 7). I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

I bought that. A bit expensive but a lovely bit of equipment. I find the bowl fits beautifully into the palm of my hand and lets me really work the lather.

Which bowl? There is no bowl in that link :confused:

Edit - Did you mean this? http://www.shaving.ie/products/Chrome-Razor-%26-Brush-Stand-with-Bowl.html

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Check out the Speick products on shaving.ie - I have tried three of them, and love them all. The Speick Intensive is one of the richest moisturisers I've ever used, and Her Indoors loves the fragrance. ;)

Speick Intensive Cream - it looks good. So basically, do you just use the Proraso pre shave cream, then a lather, then shave, alum block? and then apply this? Or do you have any other little gems I am not aware of.

Well I am looking to buy a bowl as well so I might aswell get it with the stand so I can have them all standing together.

That one looks pretty nice. Very tempted to purchase.

Got the luxury starter set and out of all the blades I think I like the Derby extra best so goin to wait for them to come back in stock before I buy anything.

Cheers Michael. Any other recommendations btw

Cheers Michael. Any other recommendations btw
    Two years on, I think Feathers are the best blades. But please don't let anyone know I said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Just about to order a few bits and pieces and wondering had any1 any recommendations on a pre shave treatment.
    I found the gilette bleue extra the best blades but dropped them in the sink last week and my supply rusted so have to buy a few more.
    I can also definitely recommend the speick after shave balm. Love the stuff and ordering a second tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi Mr. Shaving.ie man! :D

Any idea when the Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap and Dish will be back in stock?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Mitchells-Wool-Fat-Shaving-Soap-and-Dish.html

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Hi Mr. Shaving.ie man! :D

Any idea when the Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap and Dish will be back in stock?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Mitchells-Wool-Fat-Shaving-Soap-and-Dish.html
    There are 2 left if you get in quick :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Anybody see this?

Lovely looking piece of kit, albeit a bit pricey. Anyone have one?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Feather-All-Stainless-Safety-Razor-TAS%252dDS.html

feather-tas-ds-stainless-safety-razor__75234_zoom.jpg

feather__45828_zoom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Uriel. wrote: »
    Lovely looking piece of kit, albeit a bit pricey. Anyone have one?

Yes - and the razor is Great :)

BBS shaves every day since Christmas Day

Not sure about the extra 50 quid for the stand though, but I got it for Xmas (thanks again honey ;))

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    There are 2 left if you get in quick :p

I think I'm blind today!

Ordered that, a Muhle Best Badger brush and a styptic pencil. Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Master Yoda

Got my new Slant Barber pole the other day. Thank you Chris for looking for that last one !

I am a bit angry with myself for ordering the Progress two months ago and believing that the Slant is too agressive for begginers (shaved with a Gillette Knack for about a month) - just had my first shave with the Slant and it is much better, didn't even nick myself once, while with the Progress I always get a nick or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Before I place an order, does anyone know of a valid code?

Thanks.

There was an advertisement for 10 or 20 percent off last week with the code 2011 and it was meant to be for all of January. Not working now though. :(

Just about to order my stuff now, but will wait if somebody does have a code?

These are the two things which I am going for after the recommendations on here:
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Nickel-Stand-with-Bowl.html
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Speick-Intensive-Cream.html

I am a bit angry with myself for ordering the Progress two months ago and believing that the Slant is too agressive for begginers (shaved with a Gillette Knack for about a month) - just had my first shave with the Slant and it is much better, didn't even nick myself once, while with the Progress I always get a nick or two.

you're telling me about nicks with the Progress!! I know I'm still a newbie (2 weeks with DE razor) but by fcuk, I'm always getting nicks in the same area, right side of the neck area. I'm struggling with the angle, my lather is good and I'm not applying additional pressure.
    It's really p*ssing me off now!

Speick Intensive Cream - it looks good. So basically, do you just use the Proraso pre shave cream, then a lather, then shave, alum block? and then apply this? Or do you have any other little gems I am not aware of.
    Pretty much. Some days I don't bother with the alum, and I don't always use the Speick Intensive; sometimes I'll either use the Speick balm or Taylor's Skin Food. Choice is good :)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Pretty much. Some days I don't bother with the alum, and I don't always use the Speick Intensive; sometimes I'll either use the Speick balm or Taylor's Skin Food. Choice is good :)

Is it Taylor's skin food or trumpers? On Shaving.ie I can only see Trumpers skin food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

It's Trumpers skin food. It's pretty good stuff.

hey lads, ye know what? we're worse than women with all the creams & lotions etc :D

• Advertisement

Is it Taylor's skin food or trumpers? On Shaving.ie I can only see Trumpers skin food
    Yeah, one of those. :)

Advertisement