Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Raoul wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know, I returned this to shaving.ie and within two days of my returning it, I got back a totally different stand to which I sent however the stand I got back is much nicer and after some research I found out that the Edwin Jagger stand I got back was considerably more expensive than the one I purchased. So another happy customer here.

Now whats the big deal with the floid blue??:eek:

I am tempted to add to the demand also.

they are one great shop/service. Fair play to them. Let's hope we spread the word to ensure these guys will be around for long time.

I dunno about the Floid, just good reviews and my curiosity drove me to a purchase...along with lots of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

they are one great shop/service. Fair play to them. Let's hope we spread the word to ensure these guys will be around for long time.

I dunno about the Floid, just good reviews and my curiosity drove me to a purchase...along with lots of other things.

Yeah thats why I am tempted also. Don't like trying things like a scent that I haven't smelled. Need new blades soon so might purchase it along with them.

Yeah thats why I am tempted also. Don't like trying things like a scent that I haven't smelled. Need new blades soon so might purchase it along with them.

that's exactly what I did, I wanted to buy some blades in bulk and I added some new creams and the AS too, always fun to try new scents/creams. I bought the Speick AS on good reviews too and I love it. Anything that is described as 'old shaving smell' I will love :)

that's exactly what I did, I wanted to buy some blades in bulk and I added some new creams and the AS too, always fun to try new scents/creams. I bought the Speick AS on good reviews too and I love it. Anything that is described as 'old shaving smell' I will love :)

I'm still only new to safety razor shaving, so I am going to buy a 50 blade pack which has a selection of 8 different blades for 12 euro, still really cheap.

I got the Speick too, its such a nice scent. Last thing I got was that and the taylors rose shaving cream, didn't really like that as much as the avocado one. So think I am getting floid blue, blades and perhaps trumpers skin food.

I'm still only new to safety razor shaving, so I am going to buy a 50 blade pack which has a selection of 8 different blades for 12 euro, still really cheap.

I got the Speick too, its such a nice scent. Last thing I got was that and the taylors rose shaving cream, didn't really like that as much as the avocado one. So think I am getting floid blue, blades and perhaps trumpers skin food.

I've yet to try the Skin Food but the Trumper's shave creams are the best, great scent and excellent lathering going on in the bowl with little effort. My favourite but a bit expensive so I use it once or twice a week while using Proraso or Omega the other days.

• Advertisement

I've yet to try the Skin Food but the Trumper's shave creams are the best, great scent and excellent lathering going on in the bowl with little effort. My favourite but a bit expensive so I use it once or twice a week while using Proraso or Omega the other days.

Cheers, I have two shave creams already, so going to try and use them up first before I buy another shave cream. I am getting slightly addicted to all the different products. And I used to question why women loved all their different products :(

Cheers, I have two shave creams already, so going to try and use them up first before I buy another shave cream. I am getting slightly addicted to all the different products. And I used to question why women loved all their different products :(

I know, us men can be a vain bunch when we put our hearts into it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Master Yoda

I ordered the sample pack on Trumpers webpage - 6 punds and no postage. Now i have to get myself some skin food and avocado shaving cream next time i shop at shaving.ie :P.

P.S.: Chris will you ever stock Trumpers colognes (am currently liking the West indian limes one from the sample pack)?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Got the razor blade sample pack today.
    Tried out the feather's - got to say they are excellent, gave an alarmingly close shave. Looking forward to trying out the other blades too, whichever one I settle on I'll probably buy a load of them!

Fair dues to shaving.ie, very quick postage, reasonable price etc. Will definitely order again soon :cool:

Got the razor blade sample pack today.
    Tried out the feather's - got to say they are excellent, gave an alarmingly close shave. Looking forward to trying out the other blades too, whichever one I settle on I'll probably buy a load of them!

Fair dues to shaving.ie, very quick postage, reasonable price etc. Will definitely order again soon :cool:

The feathers are supposed to be the biz alright, those in the know say they are great blades to highlight any weaknesses in one's technique via slicing you into shape :D
    Would you believe I have yet to open my Feathers from my sample pack, and that's since Christmas!
    In the meantime I've bought so many different types of blades but I reckon I'll stick to one type until I hone my technique a little more, Gillette 7O'Clock (Green) are my favourite so far...until I pluck up the courage to try a Feather that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Just got a bottle of Floyds, (along with a load more stuff) seemingly no more for a few weeks :P

Just got a bottle of Floyds, (along with a load more stuff) seemingly no more for a few weeks :P

be strong my brother, you can do it :)

be strong my brother, you can do it :)

rich coming from me, I have no strength when it comes to new shaving gear.

Speaking of which, lads at Shaving.ie must be busy as hell lately, I ordered on Monday night and the stuff still isn't dispatched, not a big deal but a drop from the typically high return times from shaving.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Also anybody get the atomiser.

Yes, I did. Works great, a fine mist, It's less wasteful and direct, the tiny beads I find have a better evaporative effect (cools you down) than hand splashing. It is also, 'hands off', meaning you don't have to wipe your hands down or clean up after.

Here's the post (from this thread) with some pics.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68506404&postcount=527

Chris has updated his stock to include black and blue colours, along with Proraso atomizers.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Barber-Style-Atomiser-for-Floid-Aftershave-Bottles.html

You fell like landed gentry with this on your bathroom shelf.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Dunno if this is the place to ask but I need a new razor and have been on shaving.ie but have no idea wha razor/blades to get? What should I be looking for?

IPAM wrote: »
    Dunno if this is the place to ask but I need a new razor and have been on shaving.ie but have no idea wha razor/blades to get? What should I be looking for?

well if you are new to DE shaving (Double edge - the blade!) then the safest option would be to go for a standard closed comb razor.
    Some very good razors are the Edwin Jagger DE89L and at €20 it's great value.

You could also opt for an adjustable razor. These guys can be adjusted to show more or less of the blade to the skin resulting in a more close shave but at the high settings they can be a tad aggressive until you master your technique.
    I own the very popular Merkur Progress (Long handle version) and it's a great razor, solid and has some weight to it.

Blades can vary from person to person, it all depends on your skin type etc. Some blades suit some people while others suit others...trial and error really.
    My opinion would be the Gillette 7O'clock blades (green) are a decent everyday blade with smooth results. Astra are another favourite of mine. I don't care too much for Personna (red) or Derby blades.
    At the top end of the blade category you will find Feather blades. These guys are Japanese blades known for their sharpness.

If you are unsure about Chris from shaving.ie can help you out I'd say, they are a great resource for everything shaving.

rich coming from me, I have no strength when it comes to new shaving gear.

Speaking of which, lads at Shaving.ie must be busy as hell lately, I ordered on Monday night and the stuff still isn't dispatched, not a big deal but a drop from the typically high return times from shaving.ie

I jumped too soon, item has just been dispatched :)

Just bought
    • 3 x Derby Extra DE Razor Blades
    • 1 x Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome
    @€;30.15 in total, have a feeling im gonna chop the face off myself :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Nice choice of razor. Lovely finish to the razor head.. and very agreeable to start out on.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...have a feeling im gonna chop the face off myself :mad:
    You should be fine. The EJ is a lovely razor and the Derby blades are pretty forgiving. Watch the mantic59 video series before you start.

• Advertisement

Just bought
    • 3 x Derby Extra DE Razor Blades
    • 1 x Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome
    @€;30.15 in total, have a feeling im gonna chop the face off myself :mad:

congrats!

ah no, don't fear it too much, just a few tips:

1. Don't apply much pressure, unlike cartridge blades, DE shaving doesn't need pressure. Let the weight of the razor and the sharpness of the blade do the work.

2. Angle angle angle! The razor should be used at an angle of about 30 degrees, that will ensure the blade glides through the whiskers. Practice this, it may take some time but easy does it.

3. Don't bend your wrist, keep it straight. Remember, unlike cartridge shaving DE razors don't have blades mounted on a spring so it will be up to you to adjust your angle of the the blade meeting the whiskers.

4. Short strokes are the way to go!

Amalgam wrote: »
    Nice choice of razor. Lovely finish to the razor head.. and very agreeable to start out on.

Sweet, Id normally shave every 2nd day with a Gillette fusion to keep it clean, is it the same with these razors/blades or is it less/more often?

Also is regular shaving foam ok? Still have 2 full Gillette shaving gels, would hate to waste them

edit: thanks for all the replies :)

Sweet, Id normally shave every 2nd day with a Gillette fusion to keep it clean, is it the same with these razors/blades or is it less/more often?

Also is regular shaving foam ok? Still have 2 full Gillette shaving gels, would hate to waste them

edit: thanks for all the replies :)

depends on how close your shave is but I find with DE shaving they easily match or beat the closeness of the cartridge shaves.

By all means use up the gels (or canned goo as Mantic59 calls them!) but down the line you will want to consider traditional shave soaps & creams. They offer superior protection over canned goo and some have great scents.
    I love Taylor's of Old Bond Street, Geo F. Trumper and Proraso creams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Donate the canned stuff to some lady for shaving her legs. A proper shacving soap/cream will decrease the chances of cutting yourself especially whilst learning.

Get yourself a sampler pack of blades, would be terrible if you judged DE shaving just on Derby blades :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hi, I've been using a DE bought from Shavin.ie since Christmas but only found this thread today so I've a bit to catch up on. :D

I see a mention there of Derby blades (one of which I am currently using) and am wondering what the numbers in the corner of the blade are for? 1 & 2 on one side with 3 & 4 on the other.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

nc6000 wrote: »
    Hi, I've been using a DE bought from Shavin.ie since Christmas but only found this thread today so I've a bit to catch up on. :D

I see a mention there of Derby blades (one of which I am currently using) and am wondering what the numbers in the corner of the blade are for? 1 & 2 on one side with 3 & 4 on the other.

Any ideas?

Ignore the numbers on the blade, they are of no importance or significance unles you are involved in quality control in the factory making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ignore the numbers on the blade, they are of no importance or significance unles you are involved in quality control in the factory making them.

Thanks for the reply. Not a big deal really, just wondering what they were for.

Amazing is all I can say.... delivered 24hrs after placing the order :)

Not at home but I'll give it a go tonight and let ya know how I got on with my 1st DE shave tomorrow (If I havent bled to death :D)

Well it was different... Slight burning sensation and 1 small cut but apart from that it was pretty good. Had difficulty doin the chin and tash area, I was afraid I was going to slice :o so I used my old gillette for that but after a few more runs it should be grand

top marks to shave.ie ordered at 1pm on Wednesday razor an blades delivered on Thursday with standard post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I was about to order some bits and pieces but at the last minute I found that Trumpers' Skin Food seemed to be out of stock. When will it be back?

Advertisement