Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

that's a pity, now many blades of the same brand did you try before you realised they weren't for you?
    I wasn't too mad on the Personna and Derby but I could still use them for once or twice before they start to irritate.
    I got the Two Of A Kind Pack so it wasn't a big expense. I gave each of them 3 goes. I still have the unused ones lying around so I might try them again one of these days. It was a while ago and my technique has probably improved since then - I've just graduated to an open comb and a feather blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Michael G wrote: »
    I got the Two Of A Kind Pack so it wasn't a big expense. I gave each of them 3 goes. I still have the unused ones lying around so I might try them again one of these days. It was a while ago and my technique has probably improved since then - I've just graduated to an open comb and a feather blade.

your technique must be good enough if you're using feather with an open comb razor and still alive :D

your technique must be good enough if you're using feather with an open comb razor and still alive :D
    It's not perfect by any means, but no major blood loss so far. And the razor is this one http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-15c-Open-Comb-Razor.html, which Chris says "gives a very mild shave and is not too aggressive".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

I use this one, can't fault it.

I also use this brush, the base gives it a nice heft and feeling of weight in the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nathansredarmy

any idea when the muhle pure badger black brush will be back in stock was gonna put my order in but il wait until its back:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

foinse wrote: »
    Goe F Trumper's extract of limes.

I prefer TOB limes. The Geo F Trumper's extract of limes wouldn't be my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

any idea when the muhle pure badger black brush will be back in stock was gonna put my order in but il wait until its back:)
    They could arrive back tomorrow or the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

I prefer TOB limes. The Geo F Trumper's extract of limes wouldn't be my favourite.

Just sent for blade samples from shaving.ie and got couple of soaps (Trumpers Limes & the sensitive skin one) what other soaps would people recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Soaps or creams? What have you used so far and liked? Budget?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Geo-F-Trumper-Coconut-Oil-Bowl.html
    This is probably one of my favorite creams and works great.
    Check Bluebeards shaving cream and Taylors avocado cream as well.

Soap wise unless you have hard water try Mitchells wool fat shaving soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, just stumbled across this thread and consequently Shaving.ie I am like a child with a christmas catalogue here at the moment putting my first order together. Having recently discovered the benefits of using a brush with my clinique cream, i am amazed at the relief my skin is getting after 20 odd years suffering razor rash and burn. However which Taylors Of Bond Street Fragrance would you recommend in the shaving cream. I have also put Taylors Jermyn sensitive into my cart to try out but would love to try one of the original Taylors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sandalwood is great. I also like the Eton College collection

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi, just stumbled across this thread and consequently Shaving.ie I am like a child with a christmas catalogue here at the moment putting my first order together. Having recently discovered the benefits of using a brush with my clinique cream, i am amazed at the relief my skin is getting after 20 odd years suffering razor rash and burn. However which Taylors Of Bond Street Fragrance would you recommend in the shaving cream. I have also put Taylors Jermyn sensitive into my cart to try out but would love to try one of the original Taylors.

Jermyn St. is one of my personal favourites. Other than that the most popular choice is Sandalwood which is a very warm traditional scent. Then Avocado which is has more of a freshness to it. I could go on but I will just end up recommending all the scents :) It really all comes down to personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Chris, how close is the scent of the Jermyn St aftershave to the cream?

The balm is pretty much spot on to the cream so I'm hoping the splash is the same. I know I'll pick up the splash at some point as I'll need a replacement for Floid Blue when that finally runs out.

Thanks for the replies guys, went with the Avocado after all and now a brush and cream to try and introduce my father in law to the whole new experience. Shaving.ie, excellent site, pity i hadnt found you before i forked out for the only brush i could find anywhere in Ireland, in Boots, a Men-U, not bad but im sure there are better.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Chris, how close is the scent of the Jermyn St aftershave to the cream?

The balm is pretty much spot on to the cream so I'm hoping the splash is the same. I know I'll pick up the splash at some point as I'll need a replacement for Floid Blue when that finally runs out.

Yes, the Jermyn St Range is all based around the same scent. They are all pretty consistent.

excellent site
    Thanks Tommy. Its come a long way since it started up.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

If anyone has used one of the Dovo nose hair trimmers - are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

one blade for a month with daily usage...wow, must be a record!
    I use a blade about 4 times and it's definitely done by then.

I would recommend the the 50 blade sampler here

I like to give a new blade brand time to perfect my technique with it before I make a decision to buy more of the same or move on.

Thanks for the above I know it depends on the individual so on average how often should you change the blade?

Also got the sample pack so which ones should I try 1st.What are the differences in them are some sharper than others,more suitable for sensitive skin,longer lasting etc

pavb2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the above I know it depends on the individual so on average how often should you change the blade?

Also got the sample pack so which ones should I try 1st.What are the differences in them are some sharper than others,more suitable for sensitive skin,longer lasting etc

as you say, it depends on the person, rate of growth, thickness of whiskers etc...but personally I never use a blade more then 4 times.

To answer your other question go here and see post #559 & # 560.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Decided to go the route of a safety razor after getting frustrated with the price of cartridges. Saw apost linking to this thread and thought I'd give shaving.ie a go. Ordered the luxury safety razor starter kit Friday afternoon and got delivery this morning.

Impressed with the kit and now to learn to shave... :eek:

• Advertisement

Decided to go the route of a safety razor after getting frustrated with the price of cartridges. Saw apost linking to this thread and thought I'd give shaving.ie a go. Ordered the luxury safety razor starter kit Friday afternoon and got delivery this morning.

enjoy!

take your time and watch mantic59 and geofatboy on youtube.

Let Us know how you get on as i am also thinking of the same route but afraid of cutting myself to pieces.

Let Us know how you get on as i am also thinking of the same route but afraid of cutting myself to pieces.
    Yes, please do. This is like watching a snuff movie :D.

Having said that, I am a committed DE shaver for three years now and I am sorry I wasted so many years on those useless rip-off Gillette toys.

Ok, as requested feedback from my initial adventures into DE shaving...

I've now had two shaves now using the Merkur Progress DE razor. I watched the suggested videos and followed them. Both times I have shaved on a night so I can take my time. I'm also lucky enough to only need to shave every other day even though i'm close enough to 40.

The first night I got the face nice and hot before applying the shaving cream and then worked it into a nice lather. I got the Taylor's Rosewood and it smells absolutely wonderful. It's an old school smell but rather manly. My first shave I followed the instructions to the letter and shaved with the grain above and below the chin then applied the alum block before applying moisturiser (I use Kiehls - Facial Fuel). I had one small nick on my top lip but it wasn't noticable the next day and that was my fault when I dug in. The next day my skin wasn't great especially below my neck. I'm not sure why it could have been the alum block drying my skin out, or that I'm not used to shaving on the neck with the grain.

Second time I exfoliated first and then carried on as before. This time I shaved the neck against the grain. I had a few blotches of blood just under the chin but I get these with a Gilette Fusion sometimes too. The stiptic pencil was used and then I moisturized again. My skin is much better today and it was a good shave.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my purchases. I guess I need to find out which blade suits me best (I've been using the Derby blade) and which setting on the razor blade suits best too (I set to 1.5) but I feel it was a good decision rather than continue to pay a fortune in cartridge blades. I feel like a proper man lathering up and using the stiptic too and like to do things different to the masses :)

I'm thinking of getting the Taylor's sandalwood aftershave. Does anyone know if it smells like the shaving cream?

well done couerdelion, sounds like you did very well for your first foray.

I also own the Progress and even after 3 months I was sometimes getting nicks.
    I usually do a 3 pass shave, pass 1 will use setting #1.5, pass 2 will use setting#3 and pass 3 will also use setting #3 but I'll try shave AG (against the grain) on this one....with mixed results.

I feel with the Progress (especially the long handle version) it's a heavy lad and you really can't add any pressure to the face, let the weight of the razor itself apply it's own weight as pressure.

I still get the odd tiny nick, mainly along my lower neck on the right side, some some reason the hair on that side grows in very odd directions and AG shaving can cause problems there. I have no such problems on the left side..go figure!

I've taken a break from the Progress for a while and I'm using the very smooth Edwin Jagger DE89L razor.

I plan to go back to the Progress this weekend and improve my technique, the Edwin Jagger is nearly too forgiving so I'm doing myself no favours!

I never go beyond #3, for me I find the Progress can be a little harsh.

At the moment I'm using Gillette 7O'Clock blades (the green ones) and I like them. I'm not a fan of the Derby Blades however.

Thanks rFr.

How many shaves did you try each blade for? From reading this forum/thread my understanding is that the Derby is at the more forgiving end and the feathers at the opposite end. If I'm doing ok with the Derby should I be trying the others after a couple of shaves to see how I get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Thanks rFr.

How many shaves did you try each blade for? From reading this forum/thread my understanding is that the Derby is at the more forgiving end and the feathers at the opposite end. If I'm doing ok with the Derby should I be trying the others after a couple of shaves to see how I get on?

Why bother? I tried loads of blades and found i got the best results with the derby blades, so got a load of them.

Thanks rFr.

I normally use a blade for 3 shaves, 4 max. However if I get a nasty nick from one I dump it straight away.
    Yes, Derby would be more forgiving and as you say, Feather is at the other end.

If you are happy with the Derby then personally I'd suggest sticking with the Derby blades for now and work on your technique. The less variables you include when perfecting your technique will make life easier! If you chop and change at this stage you may not be learning as much.

tinner777 wrote: »
    Why bother? I tried loads of blades and found i got the best results with the derby blades, so got a load of them.

true, if you find a blade that you're happy with then great, but personally I like the curiosity of it all, I like to sample different blades the odd time, part of the addiction for me :)

• Advertisement

true, if you find a blade that you're happy with then great, but personally I like the curiosity of it all, I like to sample different blades the odd time, part of the addiction for me :)

I'm like that with whiskey too. just because I find one I like doesn't mean I won't try others. And women.. oh hang on. I'm married.:mad:

Advertisement