Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

true, if you find a blade that you're happy with then great, but personally I like the curiosity of it all, I like to sample different blades the odd time, part of the addiction for me :)

lol, loads of different creams, four razors, lord knows how many aftershaves cause you lot said they were nice....

Ive kept the same blades since a shark and feathers nearly slit my throat,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Couerdelion, when I use an alum block I leave I it on my face for a couple of minutes then rinse it off with cold water before applying any other post-shave treatment if needed. I find if I leave it on all day it leaves behind a residue that irritates my skin.

Must say I'm not a fan of the Derby blades, another alternative I'd recommend to those starting out would be the Personna blades. I find them a good combination of smooth and not too sharp.
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Personna-Platinum-10-Pack.html

If you are going for a three pass shave leave the against the grain to last, remember you are aiming for stubble reduction on the first two passes.

My favorite sandalwood aftershave is the DR Harris one, a proper old school scent of sophistication.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bothyhead wrote: »
    If anyone has used one of the Dovo nose hair trimmers - are they any good?

Yeah i have one ,they do the job perfectly.im not sure they are worth the price im sure the ones you see for €3/€4 will do an equal job but might not last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I just had my first shave with a Muhle R89 using a Derby blade. I went for the starter pack. The shave was decent but my skin is slightly "raw" feeling if you know what i mean.

I wonder was it the blade i used or just that i'm a newbie? would the Feather blade be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I think you did what many of us have done when starting out (I know I did, and it made my neck quite sore), which was to put pressure on the razor and perhaps try to shave too closely (how many passes did you do?). The movement of the razor should be like wiping the lather off your face. The weight of the razor head provides all the pressure on the skin that you need; indeed some experienced DE shavers say that you should try to hold the razor just by the end of the handle so that you cannot unintentionally put additional pressure on it. And one pass with the grain and a second across the grain are more than adequate until you feel comfortable enough to try a third pass against the grain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

baldbear wrote: »
    I just had my first shave with a Muhle R89 using a Derby blade. I went for the starter pack. The shave was decent but my skin is slightly "raw" feeling if you know what i mean.

I wonder was it the blade i used or just that i'm a newbie? would the Feather blade be better?

how many passes did you do?
    Also, after your shave did you treat your skin? Straight after I shave I rinse the face with cold water. I then dry and apply some Speick Aftershave Lotion...contains witch hazel which is soothing...aaah!

Then I apply some Nivea Aftershave balm (alcohol free).

The Feather is a sharp blade and could easily have caused the same irritation so don't blame the blade yet. Moisturise the skin after the shave and see how it feels then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

It sounds like i put too much pressure on the handle. I went with 3 passes.. After the first pass things felt good so i got too confident and lost the run of myself.:o

I think i should of went with two passes.One with and one against the grain maybe? I'll stick with the same blade and see how it goes the next time. i splashed my face with cold water afterwards and a bit of clarins stuff. I'll use non alcohol nivea next.

I got 30 blades too so fair play to shaving.ie
    Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hey Chris, do you stock bulk packs of Gillette 7 O Clock Super Stainless Blades?

baldbear wrote: »
    I splashed my face with cold water afterwards and a bit of clarins stuff. I'll use non alcohol nivea next.
    After the cold water splash I always use Trumper's Skin Food. Very soothing and it leaves a nice feeling, almost like my skin is polished.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hi guys, had my first DE shave last week after converting from gilette multiblade cartridges which i have used for years. picked up a set int he us on holiday, present for my birthday, merkur razor with stand, brush and soap dish bought in the art of shaving store in california.

my question is, any of hte soap refills on shaving.ie going to fit it? was looking at the DR harris refill and it might, anyone tried them? i'm back and forth to the US pretty regularly so can stock up while there if i have to but would prefer to buy local, i've already put one order in last thursday for a blade sampler pack, syptic pencil and some taylors after shave gel(superb by the way, tried it this morning) and well impressed with the service. i'll be back for another order as soon as i decide which blades i like best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

mossym wrote: »
    hi guys, had my first DE shave last week after converting from gilette multiblade cartridges which i have used for years. picked up a set int he us on holiday, present for my birthday, merkur razor with stand, brush and soap dish bought in the art of shaving store in california.

my question is, any of hte soap refills on shaving.ie going to fit it? was looking at the DR harris refill and it might, anyone tried them? i'm back and forth to the US pretty regularly so can stock up while there if i have to but would prefer to buy local, i've already put one order in last thursday for a blade sampler pack, syptic pencil and some taylors after shave gel(superb by the way, tried it this morning) and well impressed with the service. i'll be back for another order as soon as i decide which blades i like best

Is it the frosted glass Merkur bowl from the Futur set by any chance?

merkur-futur-4-piece-set__37357_zoom.jpg

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Is it the frosted glass Merkur bowl from the Futur set by any chance?

[IMG][/img]

cheers for the reply, and tyhanks for the excellent service in getting my order from last week out so fast, hence the reason i want to find a refill on your site

it's not that bowl, it's the one shown here,
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/shaving-products/shaving-soap/45003/503
    it was bought separate to the razor and stand

mossym wrote: »
    cheers for the reply, and tyhanks for the excellent service in getting my order from last week out so fast, hence the reason i want to find a refill on your site

it's not that bowl, it's the one shown here,
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/shaving-products/shaving-soap/45003/503
    it was bought separate to the razor and stand

Ah, in that case the Taylor old Bond St, G F Trumper and DR Harris refill types should all be a perfect fit.

You can soften a soap to fit a different-size container by heating it. From experience I don't recommend microwaving it because it heats unevenly and the soap separates (not a problem when you use it but for the first one or two goes it doesn't look very nice). Better to put it in the bowl in a saucepan of hot water.

For soap I use a Denby cappucino cup, but for cream I use this.

Ah, in that case the Taylor old Bond St, G F Trumper and DR Harris refill types should all be a perfect fit.

Thank you!!!! Will throw one ofvthem in my next order, having a read of various sources to build up a shopping list

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi there,

I was looking at the cheaper starter kit on the website for the last few days. It lists as out of stork when any of the three razors are selected.

Will they be back in stock anytime soon?

If not, can anyone reccomend a good combination for about the same price? (50-60)

Thanks,

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

All those items are in stock ...so order

Two of a kind Sampler €6.95

Proraso Shaving Cream €6.95

Omega Professional 48 Shaving Brush €9.95

Merkur 42 1904 Classic Razor €20.95

comes to approx 45 squid

a styptic pencil you can buy in most chemists

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

MadsL wrote: »

comes to approx 45 squid

Here's my re-jig of your (perfectly fine) choice. Swings & Roundabouts.. I picked a different razor and knocked down the size of the Proraso to keep the same price, give or take a few cent.

Proraso 75ml Shaving Cream Bowl €2.95
    Semogue 1520 Shaving Brush (Boar) €11.95
    Edwin Jagger DE86 Ebony\White €22.95

Total: €44.80

The only caution I would have, with my choice, is a new DE user being impatient with the shaving brush, a Boar brush changes character over a few weeks of steady use, not a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

i forgot to use my coupon on an order and emailed them today, I got a reply shortly afterwards (on a sunday) with my account credited :).
    Very good of them since it was my fault and they didnt have to credit it.

I wouldn't expect as much off amazon. Definitely gonna be doing all my shopping at shaving.ie from now on.

edit: and their prices are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

MadsL wrote: »

comes to approx 45 squid

Can you really buy a styptic pencil in most chemists? :O

I have tried literally dozens and some looks I got. And people saying that they dont even make them anymore :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You should be able to find them in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, Boots in Jervis St sell their own brand, not sure how good it is compared to other brands as it's the only one I've used. It makes a massive difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

^^^

What he said. I'll test my local chemists - Manor St. Dublin 7. I think the last one I got (apart from me picking one up in Taylors of Old Bond St :D) was in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Chris did you ever manage to source the Spanish Floid products?

Aftershave (Suave / Vigoroso) as well as Balm and Pre-Shave.

I know I'm not the only Floid junky on here.

They are available on other sites but I'd prefer to deal with you if possible.

GD wrote: »
    Chris did you ever manage to source the Spanish Floid products?

Aftershave (Suave / Vigoroso) as well as Balm and Pre-Shave.

I know I'm not the only Floid junky on here.

They are available on other sites but I'd prefer to deal with you if possible.

Yes I have them... it was a 50/50 decision as to whether it was worth bringing them into stock as the cost to bring it over from Spain is very high. They will retail at €18.95 per 150ml bottle which is more than I would like but still cheaper than most of the other aftershaves available. I will most likely add them over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

I too have an order pending, any idea when you'll have GFT Limes skin food in stock ?

Thanks,Ken

jkb_dub wrote: »
    I too have an order pending, any idea when you'll have GFT Limes skin food in stock ?

Thanks,Ken
    Hi Ken, It will probably be early next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

Hi Ken, It will probably be early next month.

Thanks, placed my order now and will be back next month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Received my package today, cheers for the excellent selection of blades, much appreciated.

Slightly disappointed with the Speick Eau de Cologne, much prefer the scent of the Speick aftershave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Put in an order for fathers day just there; Avacado shaving cream, sandalwood skin food and almond shaving cream. Better keep the aul fella happy with this!

Advertisement