Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

^sounds good

Will shaving.ie be stocking the new Muhle open comb razor head? If so will it be possible to purchase this without the bar so I can screw it on my r89?
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

settings wrote: »
    ^sounds good

Will shaving.ie be stocking the new Muhle open comb razor head? If so will it be possible to purchase this without the bar so I can screw it on my r89?
    thank you

The R41 should be arriving late next week. The head is not available as a seperate... manufacturers are usually reluctant to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Got the order this morning. The sandalwood skin food is lovely, very very nice. Oooh and bubble wrap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

settings wrote: »
    real men use a straight razor ;)

I use a bear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I use a bear.

pfft I use stones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cabaal wrote: »
    pfft I use stones

lightweights the lot of ye, I use a knotted rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

lightweights the lot of ye, I use a knotted rope.

PFFT
    I use an unknotted rope, and if it gets knots, I take them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

I've been using coarse sandpaper for the last month, smoooooooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Back on topic please lads! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Got a pressie off my GF on Sunday of a Semogue 740 badger brush, TOBS Sandalwood soap in a spiffy wooden bowl, an alum block, styptic pencil and Proraso balm, all from shaving.ie.

Yesterday she was raving about how great the service was, the brush she wanted to get wasn't in stock so she got an email soon after she ordered suggesting replacements, she's tempted to take up DE shaving herself so she can avail again :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Chris, can you confirm the 100 pack of personna blades is just a smaller version of the 200 pack, and both are made in Israel? read something about some manufacture in mexico and the 200 pack on the site mentions Israel while the 100 doesn't

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Got a pressie off my GF on Sunday of a Semogue 740 badger brush, TOBS Sandalwood soap in a spiffy wooden bowl, an alum block, styptic pencil and Proraso balm, all from shaving.ie.

Yesterday she was raving about how great the service was, the brush she wanted to get wasn't in stock so she got an email soon after she ordered suggesting replacements, she's tempted to take up DE shaving herself so she can avail again :D

what a cool GF, she's a keeper;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 slanystu

Hi lads,

I ordered my first DE Razor from Shaving.ie yesterday, standard post, and got it today...very impressive!

I got the DE89L, Proraso soap in the bowl (white one), Semogue 1520 brush, and the 2 of a kind blades (thanks for the extra ones!)

I tried my first shave just there, and I am very impressed. Got a shave at least as close as the Fusions if not closer with two passes, no blood spilt!

The only thing I wasnt delighted with was the lather. I wet the brush, and whisked it around in the soap bowl for maybe 10 sweeps, and tried to lather it on a wet face...the result was a bit watery, and somewhat flat. I tried to add more of the proraso but it didn't seem to help a whole lot. Does anyone know if the proraso sensitive soap is lke this, or am I going wrong somewhere? Should I be using a lot more of the soap to get the foamy effect?

The blade I used was the Astra Superior one. Should I stick with this as I am happy with the results, or should I give each of the blades a week or so each?

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

slanystu wrote: »
    The only thing I wasnt delighted with was the lather. I wet the brush, and whisked it around in the soap bowl for maybe 10 sweeps, and tried to lather it on a wet face...the result was a bit watery, and somewhat flat. I tried to add more of the proraso but it didn't seem to help a whole lot. Does anyone know if the proraso sensitive soap is lke this, or am I going wrong somewhere? Should I be using a lot more of the soap to get the foamy effect?
    I use wool fat soap - when you wet the brush, shake it out, it should be just damp. I swoosh and smush it on the soap to get it well loaded up, then I work up a lather in my scuttle, adding a drop of water if necessary. You should be able to get a decent lather in the soap bowl.

I also tend to soak the soap in the sink of hot water for a few seconds before I start.

The blade I used was the Astra Superior one. Should I stick with this as I am happy with the results, or should I give each of the blades a week or so each?

try the others. everyone says how the gillete 7 o clocks are a great blade, i;ve tried 4 different type blades now, 3 of each type and they are the worst I've tried. everyone has different tastes, the personne i mentioned above are giving me consistently the best shave, so worth finding what your best blade is

• Registered Users Posts: 15 slanystu

Thanks for the reply OscarBravo!

So it is ok to put the whole bowl in the water for a few seconds? I was afraid to get it too wet incase it all disolved or something!

If it helps, its this one:

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Proraso-Sensitive-Shaving-Soap-with-Aloe-and-Green-Tree.html

oscarBravo is right, start with a damp brush, it's easier to add a few more drops if required.
    There's no harm in practising your lathering a few times in a bowl, soaps/creams aren't too expensive so don't worry about wasting some.
    I find soaps are harder to lather compared to creams, I think the reason is creams already contain water and they lather up quicker.
    I also find the soaps can dry up a lot faster, I've often found TOBS soap to even dry up on my face...I just apply a few drops of water to the brush in this case.

I also use a Badger brush, apparently they hold the moisture better than the boar ones.
    Enjoy the ritual!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Thanks.
    No but you should be giving more time to making the lather. It takes a minute or a minute-and-a-half. You will see the lather geting thicker. It should be like runny whipped cream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Chris, any idea when the Semogue 620 will be back in stock?

mossym wrote: »
    Chris, can you confirm the 100 pack of personna blades is just a smaller version of the 200 pack, and both are made in Israel? read something about some manufacture in mexico and the 200 pack on the site mentions Israel while the 100 doesn't

They are the same blades made in Israel. They are not in stock at the moment but they will be back eventually. I don't have a confirmed date yet.

• Advertisement

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    They are the same blades made in Israel. They are not in stock at the moment but they will be back eventually. I don't have a confirmed date yet.

are both the 100 and 200 out of stock?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Chris, any idea when the Semogue 620 will be back in stock?
    I will check to see if there are any left. Otherwise they should be arriving late in the week or early next week.

mossym wrote: »
    are both the 100 and 200 out of stock?

Yes, the 100 option is just taken from the 200 pack.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So it is ok to put the whole bowl in the water for a few seconds? I was afraid to get it too wet incase it all disolved or something!
    Think of it like dropping a bar of soap in the bath - the outermost layer gets a wee bit soft, but the whole bar doesn't dissolve. It's worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I will check to see if there are any left. Otherwise they should be arriving late in the week or early next week.

I decided I couldn't wait that long and went for the Semogue 1520 instead.... and some Valobra Menthol Soap..... and a bottle of Floid Blue (assuming the 'add to cart ' on the site wasn't a mistake).

And to think, I just wanted a new brush :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, any reviews or recommendations on the Proraso Burn Repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Looking into getting one of the starter kits, probably the luxury one (May as well do it right and go in whole hog), any recommendation ont he shaving cream? And is that everything I need or will I need to pick up a few more bits and pieces for the full experience?

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Looking into getting one of the starter kits, probably the luxury one (May as well do it right and go in whole hog), any recommendation ont he shaving cream? And is that everything I need or will I need to pick up a few more bits and pieces for the full experience?

The kits contain all you need to get started. You can also just use them as a guide for what you need.. Basically a razor, brush, cream/soap and blades.

The Mühle R89 and Edwin Jagger DE89L are worth considering.

Something like this would be an excellent line up in terms of quality.

rivalius13 wrote: »

When it comes to creams, all shavers should have a tube of Proraso knocking around, it's priced well and offers excellent performnce.
    I have a few 'treat' creams, Trumper Sandalwood or D R Harris - Arlington for a timeless scent and Cella for a hell of a lather.

No kit in the world can fully exhaust one's shaving needs, it's a joyous and endless shopping list :D

I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike1974

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi, any reviews or recommendations on the Proraso Burn Repair?
    very good product.if u suffer from irritation and soreness after shaving this is for u.takes away red blotches too. this is different to using skin food or the proraso pre/post shave cream.this cools and reduces reddness.have u tried any other after shave products.

Advertisement