Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

The post shave i swear by at the moment is Clinique Post Shave Healer with Anti-Blemish................only its sooooooo expensive. Heading to the UK tomorrow so will pick up some travel value bottles at Stansted, much cheaper than retail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I ordered the Starter Kit with the Muhle R89 and a brush holder on sunday, hopefully I'll have it tomorrow. Looking forward to the first shave with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any word on when the Proraso pre and post shaving cream 100ml will be back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any word on when the Proraso pre and post shaving cream 100ml will be back in stock?

And the GFT limes skin food ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Received my Muhle R89 starter kit this morning, thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Deedsie wrote: »
    Its due in tomorrow.

@ jkb_dub:
    I expect to get more stock in the next 2-3 weeks if available from the manufacturer.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Its due in tomorrow.

@ jkb_dub:
    I expect to get more stock in the next 2-3 weeks if available from the manufacturer.

Great stuff I'll order tomorrow. Does anyone know of any coupon codes for a discount. Funds are desperately low at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There is a coupon for 5% off I think. It's 'boards.ie'

I just ordered the Proraso pre and post shaving cream. Could anyone tell me the best way to use this product, to see the best results I mean. My main problem with shaving is redness on the neck. It's not bad anymore, but id rather completely eradicate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I use it as a pre-shave only. I wet my face with hot water and then massage the cream in for half a minute or so, before lathering up. After shaving I use Trumper's Skin Food.

I don't think the cream is going to get rid of the redness on your neck. I'd say that is a matter of shaving technique - consistency of the lather, blade pressure etc. If the redness isn't as bad as it was, that is because your technique is improving. At least, that was what happened with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Would anyone recommend a good razor/blade, shaving foam/cram to reduce the amount of ingrown facial hairs i get ?
    I am tortured with them of late, and desperate to try something else to reduce them or make them less visible on my face.
    I currently use Mach 3 blades and even with replacing blade after a couple of shaves , no success.

Any tips or recommendations folks ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

As is expected on this forum, grab a DE razor, less blades reduce the chances of an ingrown hair.
    Don't shave against the grain of your beard.
    Really rub your shaving cream into your face, lather the shizzle out of that motherflipper, it lifts the hairs.

Mantic59 on YouTube has a few tips on dealing with ingrown hairs.

EDIT: Also, don't press down with your razor, let the weight of the razor itself do the cutting, it might take a few more passes but if it gets rid of ingrown hairs an extra 5 mins won't kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

EDIT: Also, don't press down with your razor, let the weight of the razor itself do the cutting, it might take a few more passes but if it gets rid of ingrown hairs an extra 5 mins won't kill you.

Just to add, this bit of advice is for DE razors, a cartridge razor like the mach 3 won't have any weight behind it to do the cutting.

foinse wrote: »
    Just to add, this bit of advice is for DE razors, a cartridge razor like the mach 3 won't have any weight behind it to do the cutting.

I've a crappy Quattro, I find it has just enough weight. My beard might be a bit softer than yours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

reduce the amount of ingrown facial hairs i get

The hysteresis concept is the idea that multiblade razors pull the hair up and then the next blade cuts it; hence giving a supposedly 'closer' shave.

Another way of looking at it is that a blunting Mach 3 or Quattro may pull up some of the hairs - these hairs then retract below the skin. This cut may also take off one or more layers of skin. The skin heals over and the hair is trapped.

There's no hysteresis effect with DE shaving. We do gradual reduction. I think it's actually the hysteresis effect that for many DE shavers is the downside of cartridge shaving and ultimately leads to more ingrowns as the growing hairs emerge from their channel and can curl.

I have had only one ingrown since I switched to a traditional (in my case straight) razor.

I think we might need a sticky on why more blades aren't necessarily better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

As is expected on this forum, grab a DE razor, less blades reduce the chances of an ingrown hair.
    Don't shave against the grain of your beard.
    Really rub your shaving cream into your face, lather the shizzle out of that motherflipper, it lifts the hairs.

Mantic59 on YouTube has a few tips on dealing with ingrown hairs.

Thanks for the advice on info, do you have a link to the razor you recommend me to purchase ?
    I see a lot mentioned on thread and many choices of razors, dont want to end up buying the wrong one.
    Cheers

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice on info, do you have a link to the razor you recommend me to purchase ?
    I see a lot mentioned on thread and many choices of razors, dont want to end up buying the wrong one.
    Cheers

A razor is a very personal thing.
    For starters I always recommend this:
    Wilkinson-Sword-Classic-DE-razor-in-packaging..jpg
    Cheap as chips in Boots.
    Comes with a few blades too so you should get a week or two of shaving for about a fiver.
    In Tesco, you'll find a blue Wilkinson Sword bowl of soap and a brush. About a fiver each and will last a nice long while.

I have a Merkur 34c. If I were to buy a new safety razor it would probably be the Progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nice write-up here (posted this before, sorry - but it answers a lot of these questions)

http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2011/03/09/escaping-from-the-dark-side-a-road-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Just got my latest order from Shaving.ie, ordered yesterday.

muhle-rn-46-shave-mug.jpg

Best lather I've ever made. This is now my favourite piece of shaving kit.

Picked up the TOBS shaving shop after shave too....Really nice scent off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

@Genghiz Cohen why would you recommend the Wilkinson? Because it's a cheap starter razor or does it actually perform well compared to the more well known expensive brands?
    I'd be tempted to try one purely out of curiosity, I already have a Progress, Fatboy and Edwin Jagger....it's not a problem, I can stop anytime I want to :D

• Advertisement

@Genghiz Cohen why would you recommend the Wilkinson? Because it's a cheap starter razor or does it actually perform well compared to the more well known expensive brands?
    I'd be tempted to try one purely out of curiosity, I already have a Progress, Fatboy and Edwin Jagger....it's not a problem, I can stop anytime I want to :D

Cheap and available in pharmacys. Pretty mild shaver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Can anyone recommend a good cream or soap with an easy lather. I am using Mitchells Wool Fat and find it very hard to get a really good lather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

toe_knee wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good cream or soap with an easy lather. I am using Mitchells Wool Fat and find it very hard to get a really good lather.

Arko, it's cheap and lathers like a dream, especially on the face. A lot of people are put off by the smell but I love it, reminds me of a sweet shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

toe_knee wrote: »

according to Mantic59 Mitchells Wool Fat is best lathered up using tepid water. That's what the man says. I've yet to try the product myself but I find Proraso to be easy to lather, actually any of the creams tend to lather easier than the soaps IMO.

according to Mantic59 Mitchells Wool Fat is best lathered up using tepid water. That's what the man says. I've yet to try the product myself but I find Proraso to be easy to lather, actually any of the creams tend to lather easier than the soaps IMO.

Creams are easy.

Mitchells wool fat can be quite difficult at times, depending on the water you have.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I use Wool Fat every shave and don't have a problem lathering it. I soak it for a minute or so in the sink of warm water before lathering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

First time ordering from the site. Placed the order on Tuesday morning, had the items delivered to me the next morning, good service, and a positive first experience.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

Put my order in last week for my first de razor and other goodies. First class service got everything the next day.

Only got to do my first shave today. Need more practice found it a bit hard to get a good lather with the cream and had a slight irritation afterwards but no nicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

ruffmut wrote: »
    Put my order in last week for my first de razor and other goodies. First class service got everything the next day.

Only got to do my first shave today. Need more practice found it a bit hard to get a good lather with the cream and had a slight irritation afterwards but no nicks.

Stick with it, my first few shaves with a Derby I tore the face off myself day in day out, however now about ten shaves in I tonight used a Feather for the first time without and sign of blood. I now find the sharper blades the best for irritation free shaves even though they require a lot more care. Try Astra Superior first then go for the Feather. All this hype of the feather being the ninja and deadly is all that - just hype. I found the Derbys and Gilettes tugged a little and caused bumps. Shaving.ie top service. By the way it is addictive all these lovely soaps, blades etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gaza123

Does anyone know what length razor the 9.95 leather razor case on shaving.ie is limited to? This one:

http://http://www.shaving.ie/products/Leather-Case-For-Safety-Razor.html

Waiting on my 90R which is 10.8 cm, a little on the long side. So wondering would it fit in the case?

Advertisement