Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

I have a Muhle R89 and use a couple of different TOBS creams.

I'm very happy with what I use.

I agree on the blade sampler. 3 months in and I'm still finding out which blades to stick with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Chris,
    Any idea when you might have Speick products (soap stick & balm) back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Tzetze wrote: »
    Chris,
    Any idea when you might have Speick products (soap stick & balm) back in stock?

Yes, it should have been here a while ago but I am told it is on the way. Keep an eye out in the next 2-3 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Giant Kiwi wrote: »
    I have a Muhle R89 and use a couple of different TOBS creams.

I'm very happy with what I use.

I agree on the blade sampler. 3 months in and I'm still finding out which blades to stick with.

A year and 6 months in, still trying out blades...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Here is my probable next order (waiting on the Speick to come in).

I have sensitive, oily, spot prone skin so let me know what you guys think and if they are suitable -

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill - Great stuff, using it at the moment and think it is very gentle on my face.

Geo F Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food - Heard so much about it, seems like good stuff.

Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream with Aloe

Speick After Shave Balm

Alum Block Natural Stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Here is my probable next order (waiting on the Speick to come in).

I have sensitive, oily, spot prone skin so let me know what you guys think and if they are suitable -

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill - Great stuff, using it at the moment and think it is very gentle on my face.

Geo F Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food - Heard so much about it, seems like good stuff.

Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream with Aloe

Speick After Shave Balm

Alum Block Natural Stone

do you really need that much alum? or Alum at all considering you're also going to use skin food and post shave cream?

Nice list though! I use the Trumper Sandalwood cream and wow, it is just quality and luxury all in one. I've yet to try any of the skin food stuff.

do you really need that much alum? or Alum at all considering you're also going to use skin food and post shave cream?

Nice list though! I use the Trumper Sandalwood cream and wow, it is just quality and luxury all in one. I've yet to try any of the skin food stuff.

True, not definite on getting the alum block yet, I have a little stick of it already for cuts and nicks.

I find a lot of this good quality shaving gear is well worth it. The Mitchell's Wool Fat for instance really goes a long way for me. Once I made the initial "investment" of a decent blade and brush the recurring costs are pretty low.

Good stuff, the Speick is back in and order is completed! :)

EDIT: After that blast of purchasing think I'll give the site a wide berth for a while! Also picked up a packet of Feathers to try them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Good stuff, the Speick is back in

Cheers for the heads up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

True, not definite on getting the alum block yet, I have a little stick of it already for cuts and nicks.

I find a lot of this good quality shaving gear is well worth it. The Mitchell's Wool Fat for instance really goes a long way for me. Once I made the initial "investment" of a decent blade and brush the recurring costs are pretty low.

very true. I've spent a good bit on razors etc and now I have so much creams ,soaps & blades I have enough for about 3 years...but something tells me I'll be making a list for a certain event that happens in December (I can't bring myself to say the word yet:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

very true. I've spent a good bit on razors etc and now I have so much creams ,soaps & blades I have enough for about 3 years...but something tells me I'll be making a list for a certain event that happens in December (I can't bring myself to say the word yet:D)

The end of Movember? :P

Got my delivery yesterday, looking forward to trying them out.

Think I'll use the Proraso pre-shave, then the Mitchell's soap.

Afterwards, a quick rub of the alum block and follow up with either the Trumpers or the Speick.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Any idea when you'll have more Merkur 1904s in? Wanna order the starter kit, guessing that's what's holding it back.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Any idea when you'll have more Merkur 1904s in? Wanna order the starter kit, guessing that's what's holding it back.
    Back now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Back now :P
    Aaaaaand ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Need a new brush as my first ever brush, a Men-U Boar is finally ready to be chucked out. Which would you recommend Semogue 1800 Boar, or HJM Black Badger. The Muhle Pure Badger Black looks tempting too. I normally use creams opposed to soaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Need a new brush as my first ever brush, a Men-U Boar is finally ready to be chucked out. Which would you recommend Semogue 1800 Boar, or HJM Black Badger. The Muhle Pure Badger Black looks tempting too. I normally use creams opposed to soaps.

I've tried over a dozen different bushes over the past couple of years and the best I've bought are from here
    http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/

You'll get a brush of serious quality for a fraction of the brand name equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The 1800 is €13 and the HJM is €18. I have a HJM (it was my first brush) and while it's nice I will never go back to it. I haven't used it in about 6 months I think.

I have a Semogue 1520, 610 and 830. The 830 for me is the best of them and one I would recommend to pretty much anyone. It's €20 on shaving.ie but if you want to stick to €18 as your top price, I heard very good things about the Semogue 1305.

Semogue brushes are really good so if you go with pretty much any of them you should end up with a good brush.

I've tried over a dozen different bushes over the past couple of years and the best I've bought are from here
    http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/

You'll get a brush of serious quality for a fraction of the brand name equivalent.

I think I know where my next brush is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

frank.stop spending all your money on all the soaps ever produced and get yourself a silvertip badger brush!! they are apparnetly the best u can get

• Advertisement

The reason I stopped using my HJM was because I got a custom made silvertip. That was mainly for creams but it's still pretty good for soaps. Such a nice soft, luxurious feeling on the face.

CyberJuice wrote: »
    frank.stop spending all your money on all the soaps ever produced and get yourself a silvertip badger brush!! they are apparnetly the best u can get

Forget silvertip, look at high mountain two-band badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Have the Muhle brush, it's nice, good lather and a nice weight...Definately worth a look.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Chris, any timeline for when you might have "Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill" back in stock?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Chris, any timeline for when you might have "Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill" back in stock?
    Yes... Its on the way. Mid next week I think.

The one thing i really like about shaving.ie, apart from fast delivery, is when you calculate postage online at say €3.85 it's a €3.85 postage charge that is stuck on the package when it arrives.....no making extra profit on postage charges like others do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I have three brushes. The first is a cheap bristle brush which I have had for over 30 years, the second is a basic badger which is 20 years old and the third is a Floris "Super Badger" I bought three years ago. I use them all. I didn't think a brush ever wore out.

Michael G wrote: »
    I have three brushes. The first is a cheap bristle brush which I have had for over 30 years, the second is a basic badger which is 20 years old and the third is a Floris "Super Badger" I bought three years ago. I use them all. I didn't think a brush ever wore out.

My brush didn't actually wear out, its just not great quality and looses a batch of bristles every use recently so just fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

I need a new cream or soap.

At the moment, I have taylors of bond street rose and their lime cream.

Didn't really like the rose and didn't find it as good of quality as the lime.

I was advised to get The Taylor's Jermyn Street cream or else the Mitchells wool fat.

I really like something that smells really good, the scent is very important. Anyone got any tips?

I will probably get some skin food aswell.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    I need a new cream or soap.

At the moment, I have taylors of bond street rose and their lime cream.

Didn't really like the rose and didn't find it as good of quality as the lime.

I was advised to get The Taylor's Jermyn Street cream or else the Mitchells wool fat.

I really like something that smells really good, the scent is very important. Anyone got any tips?

I will probably get some skin food aswell.

I tend to put performance over scent. MWF is a great soap but very neutral scent wise. I buy it for the lanolin it contains which is a great moisturizer.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Geo-F-Trumper-Coconut-Oil-Bowl.html
    The GFT range are worth looking at, this is a nice light coconut scent and the coconut oil is an added bonus.

Bluebeards shaving cream is another you should look at.

I find most creams and soaps have a scent that doesn't linger post shave which suits me as I rely on aftershave and cologne for scent.

Advertisement