Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If scent is the criterion, forget about wool fat, it's very neutral. Lovely rich creamy lather, but neutral scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

I have the Jermyn Street and love its scent and efficacy plus i find it very moisturising. I also bought the Lemon & Lime Taylors and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I found the Wool Fat very difficult to lather. How wet should the brush be? Or perhaps should you soak the soap for a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Raoul wrote: »
    I need a new cream or soap.

At the moment, I have taylors of bond street rose and their lime cream.

Didn't really like the rose and didn't find it as good of quality as the lime.

I was advised to get The Taylor's Jermyn Street cream or else the Mitchells wool fat.

I really like something that smells really good, the scent is very important. Anyone got any tips?

I will probably get some skin food aswell.

Their shaving shop range is the business, nice smell and as with all Taylor's stuff it gives a great lather.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Michael G wrote: »
    I found the Wool Fat very difficult to lather. How wet should the brush be? Or perhaps should you soak the soap for a bit?
    I soak the soap in hot water while I apply Proraso pre-shave cream, so probably a little under a minute. I soak the brush as well, then shake and squeeze it so it's just damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 stixer

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    The one thing i really like about shaving.ie, apart from fast delivery, is when you calculate postage online at say €3.85 it's a €3.85 postage charge that is stuck on the package when it arrives.....no making extra profit on postage charges like others do!!!

I got delivery this morning of soap from shaving.ie. Charged 2.70 euros for delivery (half the soap cost) but the stamp said 0.95 euros.

How come?

Telephone not working and e-mail unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

im thinking about getting stuff from this,

can anyone recommened a good bundle, ie nice cream and razor to get me strted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

stixer wrote: »
    I got delivery this morning of soap from shaving.ie. Charged 2.70 euros for delivery (half the soap cost) but the stamp said 0.95 euros.

How come?

Telephone not working and e-mail unanswered.

It's actually not just 'delivery'. It's 'shipping and handling' so someone is getting paid when they are boxing stuff up to send out.

They also have to cover the costs of the box and packing material.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

IHow come?

With regards to the phone its bad timing as the number is being ported to a new provider. It will be complete in the next day or two but email is the best form of contact in all instances. I'm afraid I did not receive an email from you today. Can you double check you sent it to the correct address?

hitemfrank hit the nail on the head with his post but also the postage rates are derived from the actual An Post small packet rates starting at €2.20 (<100g), €2.70 (<250g), €3.85 (<500g) and an express delivery option of €5.95 (free if you spend over €100). I won't bore you with all the details but there are merchant fees involved also for taking payment.

I hope that answers the question.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    With regards to the phone its bad timing as the number is being ported to a new provider. It will be complete in the next day or two but email is the best form of contact in all instances. I'm afraid I did not receive an email from you today. Can you double check you sent it to the correct address?

hitemfrank hit the nail on the head with his post but also the postage rates are derived from the actual An Post small packet rates starting at €2.20 (<100g), €2.70 (<250g), €3.85 (<500g) and an express delivery option of €5.95 (free if you spend over €100). I won't bore you with all the details but there are merchant fees involved also for taking payment.

I hope that answers the question.
    • The e-mail was sent about 2 weeks ago through your website enquiring about a product.
    • The packet arrived with a 95 cent stamp even though "An Post small packet rates start at €2.20". The total delivery charge was €2.70.
    I don't wish to labour the point and merely raise it because a previous poster said that the 'delivery cost shown on the packet was the same as that charged' which was not my experience.

• Advertisement

'delivery cost shown on the packet was the same as that charged'
    Thats true for over 95% of orders but just not in your case and for the minority of orders that do not require a box to ship. Its up to the customer to maximise the value they get from the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hi all,

Total "proper" shaving novice here now. (Gillette Fusion Power, standard Gillette gel etc).
    Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to getting a proper shaving setup (i.e. safety razor and proper soaps etc).

Had a quick look on the site, but as i said, pure novice and not sure how to use one of those safety razors.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Total "proper" shaving novice here now. (Gillette Fusion Power, standard Gillette gel etc).
    Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to getting a proper shaving setup (i.e. safety razor and proper soaps etc).

Had a quick look on the site, but as i said, pure novice and not sure how to use one of those safety razors.

You could be an ideal candidate for 'The Mentored Shave #3' that is about to be run.

Have a read of this and see what you think.

#1 and #2 were a success and Chris of shaving.ie was very generous in donating stuff for it.

• The e-mail was sent about 2 weeks ago through your website enquiring about a product.
    • The packet arrived with a 95 cent stamp even though "An Post small packet rates start at €2.20". The total delivery charge was €2.70.
    I don't wish to labour the point and merely raise it because a previous poster said that the 'delivery cost shown on the packet was the same as that charged' which was not my experience.
    Did you notice the box the delivery came in, unlike other mail order companies he doesn't just re-use an old box off something else, Chris actually takes time to pack your order properly to prevent transit damage or loss. I imagine these boxes don't come cheap. I think shaving.ie postal rates are some of the cheapest around and as already pointed out what about the time picking and packing the order, printing invoices, merchant fees on transaction, taking to post office etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whilst I miss the old free shipping shaving.ie used to offer I none the less understand that Chris has to cover costs and it was evident that those large boxes he shipped his goods in along with the shipping costs were costing him.

I'd much rather pay the small amount towards shipping (compared to other companys) and know my items have been properly packed then have my stuff thrown into cheap padded envelopes.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hi my transition from cartridge razors to safety razors started when I got a boar brush and a tub of Taylors Jermyn St Collection Cream from shaving.ie. The first time I shaved using my fusion with the Taylors cream instead of the normal can of gilette s**t I was used to, wow what a difference, less burn smoother shave and nicer feel to my skin after. Then after about 6 weeks I purchased an Edwin Jagger DE89L Razor and even though it took some adjustment and trial of blades I can safely say I am never returning to cartridge shaving. My set up now consists of various creams, Edwin Jagger DE89L, Muhle Badger Brush, Feather Blades and Clinique Post Shave Soother. PS if you do go for DE shaving eventually, please ignore all the ninja comments feather blades get. Granted they are seriously sharp and deserve caution and attention when using, however they are so sharp they just are magic at getting the close irritation shave we all yearn for. I was dreading my first feather shave but now i have a stock pile of them in my cabinet.:D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I did my first few DE shaves with Wilkinson Sword blades (they came with the Wilkinson Classic razor) and then moved straight onto Feather blades after my first order from Shaving.ie. I had heard they required caution, but I haven't had any trouble with them since I made the transition, even as a shaving novice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Hi, I'm just wondering when the Merkur 23c will be back in stock? Also the discription is "a long slim line high grip handle" so i'm just wondering is this the long handled version of this(if there is a long handled version).

Those Merkur product numbers are a little confusing sometimes:).

muppeteer wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering when the Merkur 23c will be back in stock? Also the discription is "a long slim line high grip handle" so i'm just wondering is this the long handled version of this(if there is a long handled version).

Those Merkur product numbers are a little confusing sometimes:).

I don't have a definite delivery date yet but they are on order. The 33c is the short handled version of the 23c which has a long handle.

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Did you notice the box the delivery came in, unlike other mail order companies he doesn't just re-use an old box off something else, Chris actually takes time to pack your order properly to prevent transit damage or loss. I imagine these boxes don't come cheap. I think shaving.ie postal rates are some of the cheapest around and as already pointed out what about the time picking and packing the order, printing invoices, merchant fees on transaction, taking to post office etc.

Sorry for late reply
    I take your point about the cost, time and care of using boxes. I didn't get (or need) a box with my delivery (which seems to be the case for 5% of customers) so the delivery charge was only 95 cents (probably 'letter' rate?). What I don't understand is why 5% of customers are charged for boxes when they are not needed.

• Advertisement

Sorry for late reply
    I take your point about the cost, time and care of using boxes. I didn't get (or need) a box with my delivery (which seems to be the case for 5% of customers) so the delivery charge was only 95 cents (probably 'letter' rate?). What I don't understand is why 5% of customers are charged for boxes when they are not needed.

The charge is to ensure costs are covered for low value orders... its really quite simple:o. You are not buying a stamp or a box but you are paying to get an item delivered from stock shelf to your letterbox. In your case you agreed to a €2.70 charge. In my opinion that is very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ciann

Hello guys, I'm (fairly) new to the safety razor thing & would love to get a good bundle to start in the right direction. I've been using a wilkinsons classic & classic blades with some kind of gillette shaving foam for the past while. I'm only 17 so (somewhat) cheap and cheerful would be great. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There is a mentored shave option up for grabs if you are interested Cian, see the mentored shave threads for details. Only problem is that your post count is quite low; do you know anyone on boards with a higher post count who knows you who can vouch...?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Careful MadsL,

You don't want to be accused of "grooming" a 17 year old. :eek:

I apologise profusely for any embarassment caused (mainly to myself), and I'll get me coat.

I jest of course. As a former mentee I can highly recommend the mentored shave process, and I'll throw in a new razor for the lucky mentored shave participant, having been so generously kitted out by MadsL and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Careful MadsL,

You don't want to be accused of "grooming" a 17 year old. :eek:

I apologise profusely for any embarassment caused (mainly to myself), and I'll get me coat.

Lmao..

regarding that wilkinson sword classic de razor,ive been using this and i have constantly got a red mark on my upper lip,looks like ive got a moustache,and ive got a red mark on the underneath of my chin,i can assume its coming from the blade,anyone any ideas how i can prevent this?? if i had to take a guess id say its coz there is no weight in the head so im pressing down too much pressure on it,but i dont know if i am or not

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ciann

MadsL wrote: »
    There is a mentored shave option up for grabs if you are interested Cian, see the mentored shave threads for details. Only problem is that your post count is quite low; do you know anyone on boards with a higher post count who knows you who can vouch...?

Thanks very much for the chance but I don't know anyone on boards that I'm aware of.

@CyberJuice I get that just under my jaw bone, tis extremely annoying :confused:

CyberJuice wrote: »
    Lmao..

regarding that wilkinson sword classic de razor,ive been using this and i have constantly got a red mark on my upper lip,looks like ive got a moustache,and ive got a red mark on the underneath of my chin,i can assume its coming from the blade,anyone any ideas how i can prevent this?? if i had to take a guess id say its coz there is no weight in the head so im pressing down too much pressure on it,but i dont know if i am or not

I've put a reply in the safety razor thread to stop this one becoming cluttered with non Shaving.ie stuff.

In other news, in case people don't know Chris also runs tradionshaving.com so if something is not available on shaving.ie have a look and see if it's in stock on tradionshaving.com. If so send him an email and he can shift it over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

will someone wake up the shaving.ie lads...their website says they are on hols until yesterday, wakey wakey boys:D

edit: 9-11-11 (back now!).

Chris, any idea when you hope to be shipping out the Semogue LE's?

• Advertisement

They were due to be completed yesterday but this has changed to early next week. They take about 4-5 days to get here from the factory so I hope to get them out possibly next Friday or the following Monday-Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh :)

Advertisement