Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I did something silly last week and bought a razor on impulse after reading a few good reviews...

And the risk paid off! :D I had my second shave with my new Merkur 38c this morning, and it's an absolute luxury. Ordered it this day last week, got it first thing Friday morning.

Cheers, Shaving.ie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    A quick heads up.. Proraso is back.:)

It's gone again! Any idea of when it's back? Or can you recommend a good pre shave cream instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's gone again! Any idea of when it's back? Or can you recommend a good pre shave cream instead?

I only use a pre shave cream when I have several days stubble but prefer the 3P to Proraso.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/146918-3P-pre-shave

I only use a pre shave cream when I have several days stubble but prefer the 3P to Proraso.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/146918-3P-pre-shave

Cheers. I read that thread, it sounds great, found it on shaving.ie - but out of stock aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Paparazzo wrote: »

Yes, more arriving possibly on Friday or early next week. Bad weather accross Europe has disrupted supply.

Also managed to make a bit of progress on getting Prep cream.. I hope to have some in a few weeks :)

• Advertisement

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Yes, more arriving possibly on Friday or early next week. Bad weather accross Europe has disrupted supply.

Also managed to make a bit of progress on getting Prep cream.. I hope to have some in a few weeks :)

Cheers, forgot about that bad weather.
    Just noticed Proraso with Aloe is available. Might get that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I found that a plug of Mitchell's soap fits perfectly into an enamel mug that I bought years ago in the camping shop in Lower Liffey Street. I can put my brush into the mug on top of the soap, fill it up with hot water while I have a shower, then pour the water out of the mug, shake the brush a bit, and off I go. Serendipity :D

Just sorry I paid extra for that ceramic bowl the soap comes in, but I may be able to use it for something in the kitchen. Perhaps chicken liver paté.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Michael G wrote: »

Just sorry I paid extra for that ceramic bowl the soap comes in, but I may be able to use it for something in the kitchen. Perhaps chicken liver paté.

excellent, chicken liver paté with added wool fat..yum:D

But I hear ya, I also bought the ceramic bowl with the soap, and only last night I finished a TOBS soap which would nicely accommodate the Mitchell's soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Alright Chris,

Just wondering when the 100 pack feather blades will be back in stock?

They are available now... for the next week or two you will receive the 5 pack carton as opposed to yellow -> http://www.shaving.ie/products/100-Feather-Blades-Pillar.html Exact same blades just different packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi Chris, was considering another razor to add to my now growing of shaving luxuries. I took up DE shaving to cut back on expense of Gillette Fusion blades, but now seem to be spending more than ever;)

I have an Edwin Jagger DE89, would there be much difference between the EJ and either a Merkur HD or 38C. I also heard good reviews of the Muhle R89.

Any recommendations?

I hope Chris doesnt mind me interjecting, but the EJ and Muhle are rather similar. For something different try a Merkur, and my recommendation would be the Merkur Progress. Go adjustable and you can tweak how close a shave you get and adjust to suit your own skin/stubble and whatever blades you are using.

As Gran Hermano has pointed out a Merkur seems like the logical direction to take. Merkur have a bit more aggression over the EJ's and for me they are more rewarding to use. My personal favourites are the 34c(HD), Progress and Futur. Each has its own merit.. for example the knurled handle of the 34c feels great in hand, shaves really well and the two piece design is very convenient... you could play with the settings of a Progress all day long and the Futur will mow down anything you can throw at it.

would a Slant bar be insanity? I've heard they are great for very tough stubble and very sensitive skin, but I also know one false move and you leave you face in the sink!!!

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    would a Slant bar be insanity? I've heard they are great for very tough stubble and very sensitive skin, but I also know one false move and you leave you face in the sink!!!
    It would be a big leap forward from the EJ but I wouldn't be afraid of giving it a go. I can't say if it would be a step too far however as long as you are initially careful until you get a feel for the razor you won't have anything to worry about.

Oh decisions, decisions. Need a pre-shave, can't decide to go for 3P or Proraso.
    People????

Would you consider an open comb? I got a Merkur 15c a while back and I recommend it. Even though I use it with Feather blades it is quite gentle, but it gives a far better shave than the Progress I used to have.

Open comb might be an option, however if im brave enough I think i'll go for the slant:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Oh decisions, decisions. Need a pre-shave, can't decide to go for 3P or Proraso.
    People????

I went for Proraso as 3P wasn't available on the website at the time. I like it, you definitely don't need much as the menthol scent can be quite over-powering (like rubbing Vicks under the eyes:eek:).

Open comb might be an option, however if im brave enough I think i'll go for the slant:eek::eek::eek:
    Good luck, but don't think an open comb is for girls. You can do plenty of harm with it. Whether you go for a slant or an open comb, it's all about a light touch and taking care how you position it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm loving to get a good shaving brush. I was thinking silvertip. Any recommendations of brushes on shaving.ie?

Merkur Vision Silvertip caught my eye but not sure its worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Do you use soaps or creams?

What one you use will help determine the loft you will want on the knot. A shorter loft for soaps and a higher one for creams.

You may want to send a message to Chris to ask the loft and knot sizes of some of the silvertip brushes as they are not listed in many cases.

Anyone know the cut of time for next day delivery from shaving.ie?

I think it's around the 2.30 pm mark... I know it's listed on the site somewhere.

I think it's around the 2.30 pm mark... I know it's listed on the site somewhere.

Damn. I was too late. I guess it'll be Monday then

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Damn. I was too late. I guess it'll be Monday then

Hope so. Site says they're taking a little holiday until March 9th, but expect to return with the addition of two premium brands. I wonder what/who...

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say one of the two is Razorock. I don't think there are many (if any) European sites that sell it so it would be a good move.

And for the same reason I'm hoping one of the two is Fitjar. They are based in Norway and only have a few distributors. I've been wanting to try them for a while but didn't want to order from some of the sites in Europe they are listed on.

Or maybe Vie Long shave brushes.

Martin de Candre would be on my wishlist, would be great to avoid the crazy postage they charge when ordering direct. Unfortunately I think they only sell direct.

Have you tried MdC? I got a sample of it as I didn't want to pay their price for something I may not like the scent of. Glad I got the sample as the scent is the main/only drawback for me.

Thankfully they have revised their postage cost a bit (or claim to have, at least). It's €10 now which I think is less than before.

It will last ages though so the cost against how long it lasts is actually impressive.

I got a sample of it from a vendor (who only does samples of soaps/creams/edt's etc). on Badgerandblade. He has a split of it fairly regularly.

• Advertisement

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Have you tried MdC? I got a sample of it as I didn't want to pay their price for something I may not like the scent of. Glad I got the sample as the scent is the main/only drawback for me.

Thankfully they have revised their postage cost a bit (or claim to have, at least). It's €10 now which I think is less than before.

It will last ages though so the cost against how long it lasts is actually impressive.

I got a sample of it from a vendor (who only does samples of soaps/creams/edt's etc). on Badgerandblade. He has a split of it fairly regularly.

Cheers, I hadnt realised they had adjusted postage. I know this time last year they were charging around €30 for just postage. I have yet to try but with the revised pricing it'll be on my soon to purchase list.

http://www.provencesante.fr is another great range from France, especially their shaving soap. No problem with the scent as it's a very plain/clean scent.

Advertisement