Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I'll send you what's left of my sample of it if you want. It may save you quite a few quid.

Although if you can like the scent of lavander you should have no worries about the soap. I'm not a fan of lavander so I won't be ordering a jar.

Thanks for the link to Provence Sante. I've heard of them and had a look at their stuff back when I was still buying soaps and creams. The shaving line seems very well priced.

Could be a future product for Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Many thanks for kind offer but too late, MdC order placed.. whats that line about the easiest way to fight temptation is to yield to it.

MdC have an unscented version out now as well. I'm slightly reserved on the lavender as I know I've had a slight allergic reaction to certain soaps with certain lavender oils in the past.

I was seriously impressed by the Provence Sante shaving soap and balm.
    The EDT was also a nice scent. I was less impressed by the facial scrub and shaving cream. If shaving.ie stock the balm and soap I'll be ordering again.

Well that was a quick order :D

Although I can't really mock as I'm considering ordering some Provence Sante even though I have a large amount of soaps and creams to work through :rolleyes:

Yeah I've thought about getting the unscented but for me, scent is one of the reasons to buy a shave cream or soap. I just can't justify spending that much on a soap/cream that has no scent when there are others out there cheaper, have a scent I like and preform almost as well or just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Got my Merkur Futur chrome today. Very impressed. Felt like I had the speed of a cartridge razor but the sharpness of a DE.

Chris, I see Proraso have 3 new scents due out. Have you seen them yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Chris, I see Proraso have 3 new scents due out. Have you seen them yet?

Haven't kept up with the latest info but the new packaging has started to surface in Italy and I think sandalwood is the first of the new scents to appear. From memory I think there will be a Green (Original) White (Green Tea) Red (Sandalwood) Blue (Aloe and Vitamin C). My understanding is there is going to be a phased release for each scent.

The new version of the current soaps/creams have also been reformulated to be paraben free and some other changes that I think may be the result of EU requirements.

Hopefully the peformance will still be the same...

I see the two new brands have been put up on the site.

Castle Forbes and Institute Karite.

I know I'll be trying them out when I start making a dent in my stockpile of soaps and creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Haven't kept up with the latest info but the new packaging has started to surface in Italy and I think sandalwood is the first of the new scents to appear. From memory I think there will be a Green (Original) White (Green Tea) Red (Sandalwood) Blue (Aloe and Vitamin C). My understanding is there is going to be a phased release for each scent.

The new version of the current soaps/creams have also been reformulated to be paraben free and some other changes that I think may be the result of EU requirements.

Hopefully the peformance will still be the same...

There's a mention of Oatmeal too!

Ahh ok, a quick Google.. the Green Tea *& Oatmeal* is the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Sandalwood Proraso!!! Can't wait for this one. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Are there any current coupon codes I can use for shaving.ie? Gonna get me a brush holder and some real soap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd be interested in codes too if there's any going, have a good few supplies to get ordered, thanks.

Try boards.ie as a code. I know that used to work, maybe it still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

hitemfrank wrote: »

That's good for 5%, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

Second time ordering from Chris @shaving.ie. Once again He's an absolute pleasure to do business with. Made an order yesterday arrived today exactly as requested and a little more. If only we had more retailers like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dingle Berry

There is up to 50% off Proraso Shaving Products on www.4men.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 slanystu

Hi all,

I have a question for the guys at shaving.ie.

I was going to order a few little bits the other day (a pack of blades and a styptic pencil or two). When I went to check out the items, the cheapest postage option was €2.70. I thought that mayb the blades were a bit big, so i just went to buy the styptic pencils and the postage was still €2.70.

I must say I am a little disappointed. I have bought 4 or 5 times from shaving.ie over the last year, and I never minded paying the €6.00 for postge as they were more bulky items. To be totally honest, the €2.70 is totally over the top for items that would fit in a letter sized jiffybag.

I ended up buying the items on eby in the end, as the product+shipping ended up being half the price. Iwould have loved to buy from shaving.ie as I am all for supporting Irish business, but I could not justify over €6 for something so small.

Would it be possible to introduce a smaller postage rate for the tiny items that we so often need to order on their own? €1.20 would more than cover the cost of the postage and jiffy bag. The postage service is good enough in Ireland, and most items are delivered next day for standard post...even two or three days would be acceptable in most cases.

I don't mean to rant, but I would love to hear somebody elses opinion, and ultimately an opinion from Shaving.ie.

Ken

For me I don't mind it. When I see 'shipping' I take it to mean 'shipping & handling'.

That's to say someone is still has to get paid for putting the stuff you've ordered into the package.

I can see why people can have issues with it when it's simply down on the site as 'shipping'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldnt class €2.70 as excessive ,anything I have bought from Chris has arrived in good quality packing,without damage and very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 slanystu

yabadabado wrote: »
    I wouldnt class €2.70 as excessive ,anything I have bought from Chris has arrived in good quality packing,without damage and very quickly.

Hey lads,

Thanks for the replies! I have no intention to start slating chris's business or shipping methods.

The items im talking about would be hard to damage, like single packs of blades, alum sticks, and other very small things. The shipping on a pack of blades is the same price as the blades themselves. I understand that the idea is for people to bulk buy and save on shipping but I'm sure I can't be the only person who would buy more if the shipping was more in-line with the actual cost.

I realise that there is more to it than sealing up a jiffy bag. I used to work in a warehouse picking and packing. We would always have encouraged customers to buy small amounts by offering a reduced postage rate. There is still profit in the items themselves, and even if we were to Only break even on these items the customer gets a very positive experience, and is more likely to re-order and include higher margin items.

Prior to Chris setting up shaving.ie I spent a lot more on postage having to order from overseas. Postage from shaving.ie is a lot cheaper and quicker than ordering shaving gear from UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, Spain, India,USA, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

Plus the postman no longer worries that I'm a mail agent for the UN.

• Advertisement

slanystu wrote: »
    The items im talking about would be hard to damage, like single packs of blades, alum sticks, and other very small things.

Hi Ken, Thanks for the feedback. It is important to realise the €2.70 includes up to 250 grams in weight and also includes a postal box should you need one. €2.70 is the actual "An Post" rate for a small packet up to 250g. Of course there are admin, merchant fees, labelling, printing costs associated with each order as you are probably aware. There is always more going on in the background than you can see on the surface.

The An Post service has proven to be exceptionally quick and reliable and I think at €2.70 you can certainly get value from it.

There are always exceptions but very few e-commerce shops I use would have such a low starting shipping rate so personally I am happy with it and the majority of feedback I get supports this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

slanystu wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Thanks for the replies! I have no intention to start slating chris's business or shipping methods.

The items im talking about would be hard to damage, like single packs of blades, alum sticks, and other very small things. The shipping on a pack of blades is the same price as the blades themselves. I understand that the idea is for people to bulk buy and save on shipping but I'm sure I can't be the only person who would buy more if the shipping was more in-line with the actual cost.

I realise that there is more to it than sealing up a jiffy bag. I used to work in a warehouse picking and packing. We would always have encouraged customers to buy small amounts by offering a reduced postage rate. There is still profit in the items themselves, and even if we were to Only break even on these items the customer gets a very positive experience, and is more likely to re-order and include higher margin items.
    Yeah, I agree with you somewhat. I can't remember exactly what I was buying maybe styptic pencil and blades but the shipping was so costly compared to the products that I did without them for a while and I actually got them off someone else.

but as you said not slating shaving.ie. Unreal site and great service. It is the only thing I could actually complain about on the site. I am sure Chris will take this as a positive criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slick7

hitemfrank wrote: »

that code seems limited to local orders - any other coupon codes atm for those further away geographically?

wow - long threads over here - been reading for a few hours

slick7 wrote: »
    that code seems limited to local orders - any other coupon codes atm for those further away geographically?

wow - long threads over here - been reading for a few hours

There is a code for a 10% discount on certain items at the moment. It was in a newsletter recently show I hope Chris doesn't mind me posting it.

The code is TEN and is for PREP, Institut Karite and Castle Forbes stuff. The coupon expires on the 8th of April but I've no idea if it's local only or a worldwide thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slick7

thanks - I got the newsletter but unfortunately my upcoming order doesnt include those products. I am pretty sure that discount is not limited to local orders. I am tempted to try the PREP stuff though...

Order is a bit over €150 all up as it stands as I'm ordering for a few people so I though I'd ask. A 10% discount would add up to a nice discount (although it probably doesnt apply to postage)

Maybe there's going to be an Easter sale soon ?

Hi slick7.. sorry nothing in the pipeline yet. Usually a newsletter will have something for new additions.. Thanks, Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Is there any products that are suitable for shaving with sensitive skin? I find all sorts of lavender oils and any scented foams or soaps tend to really irritate my skin?

My Skin is both dry and sensitive. Should I avoid the pre-shave and post shave materials here and just buy a non-comedogenic shaving foam and use a DE Blade?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

I too have extremely sensitive skin, I find the Proraso Pre Shave Cream really excellent, it transformed my shaves. Maybe its the essential oil combination in it but I never get any reaction to it. Then again everyone's skin differs!!

Is there any products that are suitable for shaving with sensitive skin? I find all sorts of lavender oils and any scented foams or soaps tend to really irritate my skin?

My Skin is both dry and sensitive. Should I avoid the pre-shave and post shave materials here and just buy a non-comedogenic shaving foam and use a DE Blade?

Thanks for the help.

It’s a tough one to answer as any number of ingredients can be an irritant to sensitive skin and it takes a bit of experimentation to find what works best. From the feedback I have received Mitchells Woolfat Soap wins above all others along with Proraso White.

Mitchells is very gentle and moisturising... a little tricky to lather but with a few trial runs you will get there. A puck also lasts ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    It’s a tough one to answer as any number of ingredients can be an irritant to sensitive skin and it takes a bit of experimentation to find what works best. From the feedback I have received Mitchells Woolfat Soap wins above all others along with Proraso White.

Mitchells is very gentle and moisturising... a little tricky to lather but with a few trial runs you will get there. A puck also lasts ages.

Hey thanks for the response. Yeah it seems that from looking at the ingredients i'll have to stick to a generic non-comedogenic shaving foam! Will that affect my overall shave? Sorry, I'm new to this DE stuff! This is a first time buy

Advertisement