Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 caz25

Hi I would start with the Astra, but in my own opinion the Merkur are better and the Feathers are in a league of their own ( I use them all the time now and I can vouch for them as being the best out there).

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

caz25 wrote: »
    Hi I would start with the Astra, but in my own opinion the Merkur are better and the Feathers are in a league of their own ( I use them all the time now and I can vouch for them as being the best out there).
    I agree. I started with Merkurs because I was a bit overawed by the reputation of Feathers. But after a while I had enough confidence to try them and I wouldn't use any other blade now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Went with the above advice and started with Astra. I was kind of bricking it to be honest with the first shave :D but quickly got the hang of it. First shave I had one tiny cut under my jawline which was barely noticeable. Splash of cold water sorted it straight away. Was really impressed by the shave, felt great.

Have had two more shaves since and only one tiny bleeder near my nose. Used Proraso healing gel to sort it out.

Finding my neck area to be a bit tough to get a really smooth shave, don't know if it is just my being too cautious or not. How often should I change the blades by the way? Also what is the best way to dispose of them?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

2nd shave with Derby blades. Getting red bumps on neck. Only shaving down (2 passes) following mantic59's video for starting out. Should I try different blades, or try shaving up? Blade was tugging and skipping a little on the neck but lather seemed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

TheGimp wrote: »
    Finding my neck area to be a bit tough to get a really smooth shave, don't know if it is just my being too cautious or not. How often should I change the blades by the way? Also what is the best way to dispose of them? Cheers.

The chin and neck are probably the most troublesome areas for beginners. It is best to keep experimenting to get your angles right and remember to use short strokes rather than long ones especially in tricky areas. In time you will have it worked out without having to think about it.

If you feel the blade is not performing smoothly or is tugging it is time for a change. I change every third shave but others might get away with using the same blade for a week.... just depends on the user and blade type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

2nd shave with Derby blades. Getting red bumps on neck. Only shaving down (2 passes) following mantic59's video for starting out. Should I try different blades, or try shaving up? Blade was tugging and skipping a little on the neck but lather seemed fine.

You need to ignore down and up, instead you need to go with the grain, I have hair growing in a number of different directions on my neck. By just shaving down you could be unwittingly going against the grain.

You need to figure out your growth pattern, then shave with the grain and you'll be grand.

Derby's are not for everybody and it sounds like they may not be working for you. I would try something else and keep shaving with the grain. Going against the grain at the moment will probably cause more irritation. Once you find a blade that is giving better results then you can start experimenting with across the grain and against the grain strokes.

source wrote: »
    You need to ignore down and up, instead you need to go with the grain, I have hair growing in a number of different directions on my neck. By just shaving down you could be unwittingly going against the grain.

You need to figure out your growth pattern, then shave with the grain and you'll be grand.

Cheers, will try that in a few days when it's healed.

Thanks Shaving.ie for the fast delivery. Myself and my housemate got a nice kit from you. Enjoying the sandle wood shaving cream.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Derby's are not for everybody and it sounds like they may not be working for you. I would try something else and keep shaving with the grain. Going against the grain at the moment will probably cause more irritation. Once you find a blade that is giving better results then you can start experimenting with across the grain and against the grain strokes.

Thanks, will try another blade, as I have only tried Derby from the variety pack so far.

Chris

I will be putting in an order soon for blades and cream. I would also like to buy a good hard/stiff brush from your range that would deal with Mitchell's and other hard soaps. What would you recommend?

Thanks

Michael

• Advertisement

Michael G wrote: »
    Chris

I will be putting in an order soon for blades and cream. I would also like to buy a good hard/stiff brush from your range that would deal with Mitchell's and other hard soaps. What would you recommend?

Thanks

Michael

A boar brush would seem like the obvious choice.. Is that along the lines of what you are thinking?

Semogue and Omega both make great boars which have plenty of backbone to dig into soaps and with time the tips really soften up.

Personal favourites for me are:

Semogue 1305 & 830 or Owners Club

Or the under rated Omega 31064

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Chris, have you got the knot dimensions on the Omega 31064?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I have the Semogue 830 and the Omega 31064. I find the Omega a better brush. The Semogue tends to shed a tad too much. Knot size on the 31064 is I believe 25mm.

Any idea on height of the knot?

Also I find the 830 to be great for using with creams but not so much with soaps.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Any idea on height of the knot?

Also I find the 830 to be great for using with creams but not so much with soaps.

A couple of hits on Google all showing:
    Handle: 50 mm long.
    Knot (at base): 25 mm
    Loft: 60 mm

I tend to use the boars with soaps in the main. The Semogue 2000 is a great boar but I have an early model and the handle hasnt aged well, pity as it's the best boar hair I've used and works great with all soaps and creams. I believe they've improved the handle and coating in more recent models.

A strange boar is the Omega 48, seriously oversized but works great.

I've got 3 boars and a silvertip that handle soaps just fine, but the Semogue 830 is going to be a brush for creams and soft soaps for me.

I had a look at the knot of the Omega 48. It really is over sized - 70mm loft and 28mm knot. That's a big boar. I might buy one at some stage just to try it out.

Chris, have you got the knot dimensions on the Omega 31064?

It is listed as 25mm with a 59mm loft...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

TheGimp wrote: »
    Finding my neck area to be a bit tough to get a really smooth shave, don't know if it is just my being too cautious or not. How often should I change the blades by the way? Also what is the best way to dispose of them?

Cheers.

Been shaving for over 2 years now and have to really try if I want my neck to be perfectly smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Been shaving for over 2 years now and have to really try if I want my neck to be perfectly smooth.

Dont think it was answered. So to dispose of them, you can put them in an empty hair product container that tightens and write blades across it or a pringles can or something along those lines.

Chris, I had been assembling an order over the past few days and was about to place it this morning when I saw your holiday announcement. Has your break started already?

• Advertisement

Michael G wrote: »
    Chris, I had been assembling an order over the past few days and was about to place it this morning when I saw your holiday announcement. Has your break started already?

Yes, I will begin processing orders again in the last week of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Anyone know of a good site that could tide me over?

Pj! wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good site that could tide me over?

What are you looking for?
    How quickly do you need it?

What are you looking for?
    How quickly do you need it?

Shaving cream.
    Soon!

Bit of a heads up. Found it on 4men.ie and they are doing a 'buy one get one free' on the Proraso eucalyptus cream, soap and pre & post.
    Result!

Pj! wrote: »
    Shaving cream.
    Soon!

Bit of a heads up. Found it on 4men.ie and they are doing a 'buy one get one free' on the Proraso eucalyptus cream, soap and pre & post.
    Result!

Sounds like you're sorted PJ. Don't forget most supermarkets stock the Palmolive shaving soap or shaving cream, the proper old school stuff. Whilst it won't win any awards in the scent department you'll be hard pressed to find better at its price. You should see the glowing reviews the americans give it and the prices they pay for importing it and yet it's often overlooked by us.

Thanks Gran Hermano. Will pick it up if I see it to give it a go.
    Got my gear from 4men today. Well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

After many tests I have settled with using Feather blades. Would highly recommend them to anyone with a tough beard like mine once you have your technique sorted.
    I want to buy the bulk package but there are two different bulk Feather blades. One has the yellow cover and the other says "Pillar". Just wondering what Pillar means?

rhonin wrote: »
    After many tests I have settled with using Feather blades. Would highly recommend them to anyone with a tough beard like mine once you have your technique sorted.
    I want to buy the bulk package but there are two different bulk Feather blades. One has the yellow cover and the other says "Pillar". Just wondering what Pillar means?

rhonin, the cardboard "pillar" is just the packaging that holds the standard packs of blades.

Chris, I wondering if you've tried the Musgo Real shave soap?

I've heard some pretty poor reviews of it - latherwise it's apparently not up to snuff.

Also, is it possible to buy the Alt Innsbruck atomiser on it's own? I've got a full bottle of AI and I don't particularly want to buy another bottle just for the atomiser right now.

edit; I see it's out of stock anyway right now.

• Advertisement

Chris, I wondering if you've tried the Musgo Real shave soap?

I've heard some pretty poor reviews of it - latherwise it's apparently not up to snuff.

Also, is it possible to buy the Alt Innsbruck atomiser on it's own? I've got a full bottle of AI and I don't particularly want to buy another bottle just for the atomiser right now.

I haven't tried it yet to be honest.. From what I have heard it is not as good as their creams by a long shot but it is usable. Musgo are taking on board feedback about the soap so if I receive any I will pass it to the factory.

I am guessing that they want to nail the formula before producing it in a full range of scents.

I will be getting atomizers in a few weeks and I will make them available separately when the land here.

Thanks,
    Chris

Advertisement