Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

2nd shave with Derby blades. Getting red bumps on neck. Only shaving down (2 passes) following mantic59's video for starting out. Should I try different blades, or try shaving up? Blade was tugging and skipping a little on the neck but lather seemed fine.

Just an update. Been shaving first 2 passes WTG, and 3rd pass XTG. Its alot better now. No razor burn or ingrown hairs now. Tried Derby extra, Gillette 7 o'clocks and Timor so far.

Have to say prefer Timor blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Any idea on when the Merkur Travel Razor (closed comb) will be back in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Any idea on when the Merkur Travel Razor (closed comb) will be back in stock?
    I'll have a look for you tomorrow and see. I probably have a few left and if so I will make them available around 11am. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Thanks Chris, but no rush, pay day is not till Friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Newly converted to the idea of "manly shaving" and having just spent the morning reading the entire thread, as well as some of the other threads about safety razor shaving, I'm putting together my shopping list on shaving.ie.
    With that in mind I'm thinking ofplumbing for the Muhle R89 as my first Razor, as per the multiple suggestions for newbies, with a sample pack or two of blades. However here is where my dilemma begins. I have quite a thick and heavy growth and am wondering if I should try an open comb or slant bar razor?
    Also I know scents and scent selection is a very personal thing and I've kinda settled on sandalwood soap but am torn between the Taylor of Old Bond Street or the Muhle, have any of you guys experience of either? and which is the bigger bar of soap, or are they all standard sizes, I see the Tabac soaps are 125g refills

• Advertisement

Hi Shane,

Just to clarify the weights of the soap:
    Mühle = 65g
    TOBS = 100g

The Mühle is cheaper though so it probably more or less balances out. I would lean towards the Taylor as the scent is a little stronger and would also consider the cream format if starting out.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris,
    just another quick one please. I have a pretty tough and heavy growth, should I stick with the R89 until I'm secure in my technique, or could I opt for a slant bar or open comb (Merkur 25c open).

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd have tough and heavy growth and find a closed comb to be fine. I definitely get a much closer shave than I ever did with a cartridge razor. And it's so much easier for cutting through a few days worth of growth, which was a real pain in the ass with cartridges. I've been using it nearly two years, and haven't felt the need for a slant bar or open comb (apart from wanting something new and shiny :)).

For soaps/creams I'd recommend also picking up a proraso bowl, they're cheap, very good quality, and very easy to use for beginners.

Just thought I had better give some feed back.
    Placed my order at 9am last Thursday, received an e-mail to say it was accepted. At 2pm, another mail to say order had been dispatched. Postie arrived at 12pm Friday with my parcel. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. In this day and age such prompt and attentive service is rare.
    Have had 3 shaves now, first two with an Astra, changed blade and used a Derby for the third.
    I'm so happy with taking the plunge, the shave is incomparable to cartridge shaving. So much so that wife has asked which blades and stuff I want for Christmas from Shaving.ie
    Many, many thanks Chris

Shane

Shane, thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear the the posties are still making me look good :)

• Advertisement

My cheap ass brush from The Body Shop fell apart today and have been browsing the web trying to choose a replacement... Help!! :eek:
    i'm using TOBS cream and am wondering what would be a good companion to this?
    Any opinions lads, and go easy, i'm not spending E50 for my first brush, maybe my second though :P

ps, i'll be getting a bowl too http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Black-Shaving-Mug.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    My cheap ass brush from The Body Shop fell apart today and have been browsing the web trying to choose a replacement... Help!! :eek:
    i'm using TOBS cream and am wondering what would be a good companion to this?
    Any opinions lads, and go easy, i'm not spending E50 for my first brush, maybe my second though :P

ps, i'll be getting a bowl too http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Black-Shaving-Mug.html

If the Body Shop brush was your first then technically this is your second. ;)
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Semogue-730-Silvertip.html
    I've the 730 HD and it s a great bush. I'd hold off on the mug and put the cash towards a better brush. You can use any old small bowl or mug to lather in.

An alternative option is to look at one of the New Forest brushes
    http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Or have a look at a Semogue 830. It takes a while for the boar tips to split and break in, but once they do they are so soft. Great for creams.

Also just be careful you don't have an accident with that mug.

photo1069r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Ah, I once had a lovely mug like that until it met with a horrible accident with the bathroom floor :(

On another note, has anybody had an issue with personna blades. Bought ten packets but find that they won't slide out of the packet. Have tried two of the packs and both the same.

snollup wrote: »
    Ah, I once had a lovely mug like that until it met with a horrible accident with the bathroom floor :(

On another note, has anybody had an issue with personna blades. Bought ten packets but find that they won't slide out of the packet. Have tried two of the packs and both the same.

I just replied to your email but might as well post the info here in case it helps anyone else:

On plastic dispensers there is a flap on one side that can easily be opened allowing for a large access point where all the blades can slide out in one go. Have a look at the pack carefully and you’ll see it is an easy enough job to open it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Anyone have any feedback in relation to the Personna blades? Good blade?

Like all blades you will never know if they will work for you until you give them a go for yourself. It is one of the fascinating things about using DE blades. General speaking they are a good quality blade and somewhere in the middle with regards to sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Got one of these shaving bowls in the post this morning to replace a ceramic one I dropped -
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Beech-Wooden-Shaving-Soap-Bowl.html

I haven't had a bowl with a lid before, are they supposed to fit securely? On the Muhle bowl the lid doesn't fit well and falls off when turned over which seems to negate the point of having a lid.

Also I think it would be a good idea to put up the dimensions of bowls and soap refills as this new bowl is quite small (6.5cm internal) and a lot of soaps won't fit in it.

TomCo wrote: »
    Got one of these shaving bowls in the post this morning to replace a ceramic one I dropped -
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Beech-Wooden-Shaving-Soap-Bowl.html

I haven't had a bowl with a lid before, are they supposed to fit securely? On the Muhle bowl the lid doesn't fit well and falls off when turned over which seems to negate the point of having a lid.

Also I think it would be a good idea to put up the dimensions of bowls and soap refills as this new bowl is quite small (6.5cm internal) and a lot of soaps won't fit in it.

The lid is designed to rest on top of the bowls. It has a circular cutout on the bottom to prevent it sliding off but it is not a screw tread.

In the descriptions there are recommendations for the soaps that will fit. Mühle or pliable soft soaps like Cella. Thanks for the feedback.. I will look into also including the diameter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I read somewhere before about people soaking the soaps in hot water to make them more pliable to fit into bowls. I presume you should wrap the soap in something water proof (or maybe it's original packaging would be water proofed). Could be worth a try if you have a soap that doesn't fit in the bowl.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    I read somewhere before about people soaking the soaps in hot water to make them more pliable to fit into bowls. I presume you should wrap the soap in something water proof (or maybe it's original packaging would be water proofed). Could be worth a try if you have a soap that doesn't fit in the bowl.

Another method is to simply grate the soap on a cheese grater and it can easily be pressed into any size/shape bowl.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    The lid is designed to rest on top of the bowls. It has a circular cutout on the bottom to prevent it sliding off but it is not a screw tread.

In the descriptions there are recommendations for the soaps that will fit. Mühle or pliable soft soaps like Cella. Thanks for the feedback.. I will look into also including the diameter.

Thanks, I was worried I might have gotten a defective one.

I'll give one of those soaps a go next order.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Another method is to simply grate the soap on a cheese grater and it can easily be pressed into any size/shape bowl.

That's a good idea!
    I might try that with a shave stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does anyone have a coupon code for shaving.ie???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Does anyone have a coupon code for shaving.ie???

I think 'boards.ie' gives you a few pence off. Not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Pj! wrote: »
    I think 'boards.ie' gives you a few pence off. Not a lot.

5% off, the last time I used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have been using proraso shaving soap(both types) for a few years and am very happy with it but would like to try a different type for a change.What would people recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you like the soft Italian soaps, try razorock,cella, TFS or Valobra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Chris (shaving.ie), got a nice clear site mention on the Marian Finucane show today. Talk of Christmas gifts.. and it was in relation to the RazorPit Blade Sharpener.

Influx to the forum of the post Christmas curious..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

I know 3 women that are buying the luxury starter kit from shaving.ie due to my recommendation. Word of mouth is where its at. Goes to show, good customer service is extremely important.

Edit - for their respective partners that is!

Advertisement