Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Amalgam wrote: »
    Chris (shaving.ie), got a nice clear site mention on the Marian Finucane show today. Talk of Christmas gifts.. and it was in relation to the RazorPit Blade Sharpener.

Influx to the forum of the post Christmas curious..

maybe while they are there they can get some proper shaving gear as well..:)

stocked up on proraso shaving cream during the week, hadn't ordered from chris in a few months but same great service as always, items sitting on my shelf the day after ordering...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

mossym wrote: »
    stocked up on proraso shaving cream during the week

Hardy man using it on a Winters morning :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Chris, any plans to stock Thater brushes?

I'm planning on getting a new badger brush soonish and think a Thater would do really nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Chris (shaving.ie), got a nice clear site mention on the Marian Finucane show today. Talk of Christmas gifts.. and it was in relation to the RazorPit Blade Sharpener.

Influx to the forum of the post Christmas curious..

Thanks for letting me know I just listened back to it on the podcast :). That explains a lot.. I had no idea whey there was a sudden rush on those yesterday. It would have been nice if they picked up on the safety razors but it is nice to get a surprise mention for the site anyway.
    hitemfrank wrote: »
    Chris, any plans to stock Thater brushes?

I'm planning on getting a new badger brush soonish and think a Thater would do really nicely.

I made contact with them a while ago but never got around to getting stock anything. I'd like a Thater myself so I will follow up on it. December is a difficult time to get new stock so it will likely be mid Jan before we see anything. Did you have a particular one in mind?

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I made contact with them a while ago but never got around to getting stock anything. I'd like a Thater myself so I will follow up on it. December is a difficult time to get new stock so it will likely be mid Jan before we see anything. Did you have a particular one in mind?

I was looking at a black 4125/1 (I wish they had better names).

It's a 24mm knot and comes in 3 colours - black, white and black/clear resin. Any of them would do nicely (preferably black though).

I certainly wasn't expecting you to get stock of them in December. January/February would be awesome though.

• Advertisement

Hardy man using it on a Winters morning :D

i'm missing something here, have no idea what you're getting at...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

mossym wrote: »
    i'm missing something here, have no idea what you're getting at...

Menthol based, or rather, it has a cooling\chilling sensation on the skin, if, like me, you have the misfortune of a freezing bathroom, the combination can lead to a scrotum tightening experience, at this time of year..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Menthol based, or rather, it has a cooling\chilling sensation on the skin, if, like me, you have the misfortune of a freezing bathroom, the combination can lead to a scrotum tightening experience, at this time of year..

I think mossym is shaving his face though. Hope you're not using a straight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

:D I really walked into that.

okay, get it now. thanks for the explanation. and let me just confirm i am shaving my face, not other body parts..:)

i use proraso shaving cream and after shave cream, can't say i've noticed any problems in the cold...me and my mate chuch norris had only been talking about that the other day..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I was looking to buy a second brush and was looking for some recommendations. I currently have an Omega Professional 48, was looking to spend 15-25 on a new brush. I tend to use shaving soaps mainly so was leaning towards a boar brush, maybe the Semogue 830. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Very happy with the Omega 31064 which I use with Proraso soap. Haven't tried it with Mitchell's yet though.

The Semogue 830 is wonderfully soft when broken in. I have an 830 and really prefer it when using creams over soaps.

The 620 I think would be better for soaps - the knot is the same diameter but the loft is shorter so it will be stiffer. It's also cheaper than the 830.

I don't have one yet, but I've heard great things about the Semogue Owners Club boar brush. It is at the top of your price range. The Omega 31064 that Michael recommmended is pretty much the same on knot size and loft. The SOC does have the better grade of hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm thinking about treating me to something.

I'm loving the DR Harris Sandalwood after-shave, any other recommendations?

I'm not feeling the Feather blades that much, a bit too sharp and raw feeling afterwords, but loving Astras a lot. Anything else that feels like an Astra but with a little extra something special?

What about a soap or a cream. Anyone try the new Proraso blue cream? Thinking about the Mitchells soap. Liked the Trumper Cocunut and Rose cream. Not feeling much love for the Musgo Lime cream.

Just fancy buying a few bits.. but I need a push, have been afraid to jump lately.. Christmas and a lot of money moving about. The first rave review and I'm on it.

Michael G wrote: »
    Very happy with the Omega 31064 which I use with Proraso soap. Haven't tried it with Mitchell's yet though.
    The Semogue 830 is wonderfully soft when broken in. I have an 830 and really prefer it when using creams over soaps.

The 620 I think would be better for soaps - the knot is the same diameter but the loft is shorter so it will be stiffer. It's also cheaper than the 830.

I don't have one yet, but I've heard great things about the Semogue Owners Club boar brush. It is at the top of your price range. The Omega 31064 that Michael recommmended is pretty much the same on knot size and loft. The SOC does have the better grade of hair.

Thanks for the tips guys. I must say I am liking the sound of the Semogue 830, my current Omega 48 is fairly stiff and good with soaps so might be good to have something a bit softer like the 830 as a contrast and to use up some of the cream I have. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

jpb1974 wrote: »

I'm not feeling the Feather blades that much, a bit too sharp and raw feeling afterwords, but loving Astras a lot. Anything else that feels like an Astra but with a little extra something special?

What about a soap or a cream. Anyone try the new Proraso blue cream? Thinking about the Mitchells soap. Liked the Trumper Cocunut and Rose cream. Not feeling much love for the Musgo Lime cream.

Just fancy buying a few bits.. but I need a push, have been afraid to jump lately.. Christmas and a lot of money moving about. The first rave review and I'm on it.

Try the Personna medical/lab preb blades, as sharp as the feathers but smoother.

I like Mitchell's soap and will always have a puck in rotation but if you've hard water it doesn't work well and its not a soap you buy for scent. The lanolin in it will leave your skin feeling great.

Have a look at the razorock range of soaps and a tub of Cella is worth trying if you haven't already.

I wasn't overly impressed by the new Proraso range, in particular the scent of the sandalwood but it performs well.

Sorry for the double post, forgot to mention I face-lather most of the time, would the shorter loft on the Semogue 620 be better suited maybe?

Penguin88, the best boar brush I've used is the Semogue 2000.
    The grade of boar hair used is a class about the norm.
    It'll work great with creams once broken in.

I wouldn't want any blade now but a Feather. I learned that I needed to lighten my touch, but barely a nick since I sorted that out. However I don't have a strong beard and perhaps you do.

I wouldn't want any blade now but a Feather. I learned that I needed to lighten my touch, but barely a nick since I sorted that out. However I don't have a strong beard and perhaps you do.

I was the same and over the last year or more I rarely used anything but feathers.
    Now I'm alternating between the med preps and feathers. The personna lab/meds are much sharper than the regular personna blades.

• Advertisement

I was the same and over the last year or more I rarely used anything but feathers.
    Now I'm alternating between the med preps and feathers. The personna lab/meds are much sharper than the regular personna blades.
    Where do you find those? Is that their full name?

Where do you find those? Is that their full name?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/10-USA-Made-Personna-Super-Prep-DE-Blades.html
    Also available in boxes of 100. Unlike feathers I find them good for 3-4 shaves.

penguin88 wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post, forgot to mention I face-lather most of the time, would the shorter loft on the Semogue 620 be better suited maybe?

Going by the hair grade in the 620 I would personally go with the 830. I have Semogue 1520 which has the same knot dimensions as well as grade of hair as in the 620. The hair is not as nice feeling on the face. It's a bit scratchy, which I don't like. It does have great backbone to it though.

The Semogue 830 and the Semogue 1305 have the same hair grade and knot dimensions. So you have a choice of handle styles for the brush (just to make things more complicated for you :D)

Going by the hair grade in the 620 I would personally go with the 830. I have Semogue 1520 which has the same knot dimensions as well as grade of hair as in the 620. The hair is not as nice feeling on the face. It's a bit scratchy, which I don't like. It does have great backbone to it though.

The Semogue 830 and the Semogue 1305 have the same hair grade and knot dimensions. So you have a choice of handle styles for the brush (just to make things more complicated for you :D)

Haha oh to be back to the simple ways of just using whatever can of goo I had to hand!

Think I'll go with the 830, will be a nice contrast to my current brush. Thanks for the advice.

jpb1974 wrote: »

if you mean this one
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Proraso-Blue-Aloe-%26-Vitamin-E-Shave-Cream.html

then yeah i got some last week, and have had two shaves with it. i was using the red sandalwood version, but gave the blue a try, and based on just the two shaves i think i prefer it.

the proraso post shave lotion is also superb, i don; see the one i have on the shaving.ie site at the moment though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hi Guys
    Bit of advice if you will. I bought the basic essentials kit with a Muhle R89 a few weeks back. I've had a couple of shaves since trying out different blades but Im running into the same problem each evening in that Im breaking out in the itchiest rash ever on my neck that's leaving me with red blotches all over for a day or so.

My shaving routine as always has been after hot shower scrub with exfoliation face wash, apply lather of product and leave for a couple of minutes, shave normally just 1 pass due to light growth, wash face with cold water, pat dry, apply aftershave balm, wait a few minutes then apply moisturizer.

There's no sign of any rash or itch after shaving, its not untill late in the night/evening it starts. Yesterday I went back to my Mach3 but used it with the proraso cream and the usual routine just to check if it may have been an allergy but I was fine. With the DE razor I tried the derby's, astras and feathers all of which gave me a rash so if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

In my early days of DE shaving I threw away some expensive Taylor's and Trumper's creams and soaps because I thought the rash on my neck was an allergic reaction. However the problem was that I was shaving my neck with a DE razor much as I would have done with a cartridge (Gilette Fusion in my case). If your neck is sensitive, as mine is, the smallest pressure with a DE will cause a rash. I learned to use absolutely no pressure at all on my neck. Just let the razor glide along using only its own weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Your routine up until you start to shave seems fine but I would try shaving with maybe 2 passes of the blade and dont place any pressure on the razor. There are some good videos on YouTube that show the bsst way to shave using DE. I'm posting from my fone but will post a link later.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

It is unusual in that the problem is showing so late in the day. As Michael G just mentioned using too much pressure on the neck is the likely cause of the problem. The neck can have funny growth patterns so you may have to study growth direction to ensure you are not unknowingly going against the grain. Try lightening your touch and don't worry too much about the closeness of the shave and see if things improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Thanks guys, I had a look over some videos on youtube and some of the guys must have faces of steel! I thought I was going light due to not managing to nick myself so far but I possibly may still be pulling the razor as opposed to letting it glide although I find the razor a little light so something heavier in the hand may be a future purchase!

Advertisement