Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

mossym wrote: »
    take my advice..lose the excitement before putting it near your neck..:)

but enjoy the shave..:)

Haha, yeah I'm a bit apprehensive about using it. I'll report back later and let you know how much of my face I've inadvertently removed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Heroditas wrote: »
    Haha, yeah I'm a bit apprehensive about using it. I'll report back later and let you know how much of my face I've inadvertently removed.

nothing to fear, be careful, slow and steady and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There's really nothing to worry about. If you don't do anything stupid you can't hurt yourself too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

going to buy a few bits in the next couple of days.Just wondering what do lads use pre shave ? I always have a shave straight after a shower so I don't use anything ,just lather up the brush and shave.Do these pre shave creams/lotions make much difference ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

yabadabado wrote: »
    going to buy a few bits in the next couple of days.Just wondering what do lads use pre shave ? I always have a shave straight after a shower so I don't use anything ,just lather up the brush and shave.Do these pre shave creams/lotions make much difference ?

I'm a big fan of the Proraso pre-shaving cream. It makes a difference for me, but everybody's face is different! If you're shaving straight after a shower then bit of hair conditioner can work nicely on the face as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

yabadabado wrote: »

I find a bit of shampoo or hair coditioner much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well, just finished and am wondering why I didn't make the switch years ago.
    Took my time and did two passes. What it's really shown me is I need a better bulb in the bathroom - very easy to miss bits if the light isn't good enough.
    Anyway, nice shave and no pulling which made a pleasant change.
    Face is a bit raw now despite plenty of pre and post shave care but I reckon that's my face getting used to it and I might need to adjust the cutting angle slightly.
    Delighted with my purchase though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Next day delivery,I applaude you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Hi, I was charged €3 for delivery of some blades recently. When it arrived, the stamp was for €1.05. I expect sellers in China on eBay to try to make a profit on postage but not a website based here that is shipping to an Irish address?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hi, I was charged €3 for delivery of some blades recently. When it arrived, the stamp was for €1.05. I expect sellers in China on eBay to try to make a profit on postage but not a website based here that is shipping to an Irish address?

There are obviously packaging costs too, not just the stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this has been mentioned and addressed by the guys at shaving.ie on this forum. You have to cover the costs of the box, any protective packaging, pay the person putting stuff into the package etc. It all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

this has been mentioned and addressed by the guys at shaving.ie on this forum. You have to cover the costs of the box, any protective packaging, pay the person putting stuff into the package etc. It all adds up.

Fair enough I was probably too quick to jump on them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Back for my second order, after becoming a total DE shaving convert.

It is incredible how LONG the stuff I got in my sampler pack lasts, I'm going on 8 months :O

Had a read back on the thread and see there is some mention of Cologne sampler packs/vials. Is this viable? Considering the lads here were spot on with the whole DE shaving, perhaps they are also on the money for the cologne and aftershaves etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

TheDoc wrote: »
    Had a read back on the thread and see there is some mention of Cologne sampler packs/vials. Is this viable?

At the moment it is not possible but I will look into it again at some stage.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Back for my second order, after becoming a total DE shaving convert.

It is incredible how LONG the stuff I got in my sampler pack lasts, I'm going on 8 months :O

Had a read back on the thread and see there is some mention of Cologne sampler packs/vials. Is this viable? Considering the lads here were spot on with the whole DE shaving, perhaps they are also on the money for the cologne and aftershaves etc :)

I've got some sample vials of some colognes lying around I could send your way. They are Geo F Trumper and Truefitt and Hill sample packs I got a while ago. I can't actually remember how much is left in them but it may help you choose something you like.

I may also have two Acca Kappa cologne samples too.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've got some sample vials of some colognes lying around I could send your way. They are Geo F Trumper and Truefitt and Hill sample packs I got a while ago. I can't actually remember how much is left in them but it may help you choose something you like.

Cheers man,

Its actually Geo F Trumper I'm interested in, heard some good things.

Packaged arrive there, incredible fast turnaround to be fair. Have a few of the lads in the office here on the website, they are definitly interested. Might have some new converts! :D

PM me your address and I'll get them sent out to you tomorrow hopefully. There are some GFT cream samples too in the sample pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Hi Shaving.ie, just wondering when the Muhle R89 will be back in stock?

splish wrote: »
    Hi Shaving.ie, just wondering when the Muhle R89 will be back in stock?
    Hi splish.. there are some due in Tuesday morning so they will be available to order on the site tomorrow evening.

Thanks, thats great. I'll probably order it then tomorrow evening then along with a new brush. I'm thinking of going with either the semogue 830 or the 1305. I've read that both brushes are very similiar but I am currently leaning towards the 1305 purely because of the longer handle.

• Advertisement

splish wrote: »
    Thanks, thats great. I'll probably order it then tomorrow evening then along with a new brush. I'm thinking of going with either the semogue 830 or the 1305. I've read that both brushes are very similiar but I am currently leaning towards the 1305 purely because of the longer handle.

They have the same hair quality, the knot is the same width and the knot is set at the same height in each brush. It's just the handle that's different.

Go with whatever handle you reckon you'll like more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

5500 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Bit of advice if you will. I bought the basic essentials kit with a Muhle R89 a few weeks back. I've had a couple of shaves since trying out different blades but Im running into the same problem each evening in that Im breaking out in the itchiest rash ever on my neck that's leaving me with red blotches all over for a day or so.

My shaving routine as always has been after hot shower scrub with exfoliation face wash, apply lather of product and leave for a couple of minutes, shave normally just 1 pass due to light growth, wash face with cold water, pat dry, apply aftershave balm, wait a few minutes then apply moisturizer.

There's no sign of any rash or itch after shaving, its not untill late in the night/evening it starts. Yesterday I went back to my Mach3 but used it with the proraso cream and the usual routine just to check if it may have been an allergy but I was fine. With the DE razor I tried the derby's, astras and feathers all of which gave me a rash so if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Bit of a bump on my original problem I finally seemed to have solved. I tried different variants of creams, blades and techniques and sometimes still seemed to pop out in a rash, in the end the thing that seems to be causing the rash is the brush! The one I have is a boar hair and anytime I use it I'm breaking out in said rash.

I know its not essential but does help with the lather, but what I'm wondering before shelling out on a badger brush is if I may have the same problem or is there another alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

Bit of a bump on my original problem I finally seemed to have solved. I tried different variants of creams, blades and techniques and sometimes still seemed to pop out in a rash, in the end the thing that seems to be causing the rash is the brush! The one I have is a boar hair and anytime I use it I'm breaking out in said rash.

I know its not essential but does help with the lather, but what I'm wondering before shelling out on a badger brush is if I may have the same problem or is there another alternative?

Some people say there is no difference between badger and boar hair. Personally I find the badger brushes softer than boar. So it may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

Hi Chris
    Any idea when muhle r41 will be available again?

kaiserjim wrote: »
    Hi Chris
    Any idea when muhle r41 will be available again?
    It should be there now.

Hi Chris, just placed an order for the Muhle R89, some timor solingen blades and the semogue 1305 brush. I've read that some people "de-funk" new shaving brushes by washing and then soaking them in fairy liquid followed by leaving them in lather overnight. Is this necessary or should I just "break in" the new brush as normal through day to day lathering?

Semogue's generally are not a problem in this regard so it is probably unnecessary. If you feel the need use shampoo instead but don't leave it on the brush for a prolonged period.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    It should be there now.

Thanks Chris just ordered there

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I'm at this about five years now, and I use badger with cream and boar with soap. I don't think the brush matters. When I started, I often had a rash, especially on my throat. Basically I stopped shaving my throat the way I shaved my face; I just held the razor so that it glided along my throat with no pressure whatever. (It worked for me because I have a light growth which is either grey or white; if you have a dark heavy growth it may not work as well.)

• Advertisement

hitemfrank wrote: »

Cant thank you enough for the samples mate. Serious good stuff in there.

Rocking a bit of "Spanish Leather Cologne" today and got a few compliments . I believe Truefitt & Hill is the brand.

@shaving.ie Do you get Truefitt & Hill brand cologne on occasion or just whats on site?

Advertisement