Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Looking to pick up a couple of things for xmas. Anyone got any recommendations for a new soap/cream/after shave skin care. At the moment I have mitchells wool fat which is my go to soap (so easy to make a lather with), TOBS avocado cream (nice but the smell isn't too strong and I like something strong smelling once its nice), coral skin food (its good but I don't find it as great as everyone thinks it is). I also had a tube of TOBS rose, it was fairly meh.

For pre shave a I have proraso menthol and 3p menthol (wouldn't change from these).

I am hard to please, so...any suggestions? Not looking for aftershaves either. I will have a new straight razor coming aswell so maybe something to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Did you get a strop?

Yep, I have a decent strop I got from shaving.ie last when I was buying the whipped dog last year.

I would say try out a D R Harris soap. Arlington smells great.

Ever tried the Proraso soaps or creams, the white one and the sandalwood one sound pretty good. Will also look at the D R Harris soaps too.

• Advertisement

I havent tried the new version of them but the old version of the white soap is nice so I imagine the new version will be just as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Think its time I upgraded my brush from the Omega starter pack brush to a silvertip. Anybody able to recommend one max price about €70ish...
    Need to drop the hint to the mrs for Christmas..;)

By the way will I notice much of a difference in lather with a silvertip?

Glebee wrote: »
    Think its time I upgraded my brush from the Omega starter pack brush to a silvertip. Anybody able to recommend one max price about €70ish...
    Need to drop the hint to the mrs for Christmas..;)

By the way will I notice much of a difference in lather with a silvertip?

There are 2 on shaving.ie that look like really good value.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/black-2-band-special.html
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/ivory-silvertip-special.html

They both have the same knot size and loft so they should perform about the same. The loft of the hair is twice the width of the knot, which I think is about the sweet spot for a badger. It should have lots of backbone for face lathering and loading hard soaps and being a silvertip, it should be nice and soft.

Also there would be a nice bit left of the 70 to buy more things :D

As for a difference, I would say not so much but I've not used the Omega boar so don't know what sort of lather it produces. The badger hair does hold on to heat longer than boar hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Raoul wrote: »
    Ever tried the Proraso soaps or creams, the white one and the sandalwood one sound pretty good. Will also look at the D R Harris soaps too.

I like the cheap Arko soap sticks from amazon. They are quick to use. Just rub them on your face and lather them and your ready to shave in like 15 secs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Raoul wrote: »

The white Proraso was the business.
    The green one I have at the moment is not quite as good but looks as if it may last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I would say try out a D R Harris soap. Arlington smells great.

+1, I've been using this soap for the past 2 weeks and love the scent. It's a great soap too, lubricates well and lathers up very easily with little soap & effort needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Yep, I am yet another satisfied customer. Ordered on Friday, delivered on Monday. Securely packed - excellent.

Had my first shave, loved it. Not perfectly close, but very good, and it does not have anything like the burn I normally get.

Just ordered more stuff (blade sampler, brush holder, proraso pre/post shaving cream and shaving soap bowl).

Chris, does it not get monotonous having all this praise heaped on you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just ordered the starter pack. I tried one of the cheap plastic DE razors and decided now it's the time to move to the dark side :P

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

I was using the Baxter of california face soap but it seems to be out of stock any suggestions for an alternative face soap to use in the shower. I tried the Musgo soap but I don't like it as much the Baxter.

Just ordered the starter pack. I tried one of the cheap plastic DE razors and decided now it's the time to move to the dark side :P

Thanks to Chris and the gang at shaving.ie. I received my package on Saturday & used it this morning. Its unreal.
    Bye Bye Gillette crap :P
    Hello DE bliss :)

tagJzxO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Congratulations. You'll never want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭cena

Thanks to Chris and the gang at shaving.ie. I received my package on Saturday & used it this morning. Its unreal.
    Bye Bye Gillette crap :P
    Hello DE bliss :)

tagJzxO.jpg

How much was that set?

cena wrote: »
    How much was that set?

I think the starter set was €48 but I added the feather blades, orange soap and pre shave cream. Total cost €72 I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Got this starter kit for Christmas and was looking forward and nervous to using it.

287638.png

Had first shave , no nicks and nice clean shave, really fresh feeling afterwards.

How long on average would you reccomend you use a blade?

Is there anywhere i can walk in Dublin and buy the Proraso post shaving cream and also buy a wee stand for my brush and razor?

Hard to see how il go back to the Mach3 now...

I used to use a DE blade for 3-5 shaves. That was because I had loads of them and didn't mind throwing out a blade with some life left in it. You should notice it start to tug more and more, the more you use it. Change when you don't like how it feels anymore.

As for your other question, Knights barber shop in St. Stephens Green shopping centre should have what you're after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think 3-5 is the regular amount, it's up to yourself really. When you find the blade that's right for you, you can buy them in bulk and they work out to about 10 cent a blade.

Recently changed to a DE myself after I couldn't stomach forking out crazy amounts of money for mach3 blades. No way am I switching back now

I am going to use it 3 times and then throw out , just to be safe.

Quick question, for after care i am just rinsing , applying a bit of regular moisturisor after to stop any burn then a wee squirt of 4711. Im noticing im getting a fair few spots in around the mout/goatee area since i started shaving this way. Should i be diong something else for after shave?

Hey Shaving.ie any idea when http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-pre-and-post-shaving-cream.html this will be back in stock??

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

BKWDR wrote: »
    Hey Shaving.ie any idea when http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-pre-and-post-shaving-cream.html this will be back in stock??

Just had a look earlier and there should be more in 1-2 weeks. Most items are that are out of stock will hopefully be arriving back by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a "walk in shop" behind shaving.ie or is it an online shop only?

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a "walk in shop" behind shaving.ie or is it an online shop only?

i may be wrong but the only walk in place is that barber shop (Knights?) up top in Stephens Green, lot of people pointing to them if you can't get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Gents, I noticed that the barber shop in dundrum centre (knights?) also has DE goods. Albeit more expensive than shaving.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Most items are that are out of stock will hopefully be arriving back by then.

Would that include the Dovo Shavettes?

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Just had a look earlier and there should be more in 1-2 weeks. Most items are that are out of stock will hopefully be arriving back by then.

Hey there, I notice my item is back in stock however the bottle of 4711 has vanished from the site and not just listed out of stock? Any update on when it will be back? I got a sampler with my kit and i liked it.

If not could anyone recommend an alternative to 4711? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

noby wrote: »
    Would that include the Dovo Shavettes?
    I should have some black handled versions tomorrow.
    BKWDR wrote: »
    Hey there, I notice my item is back in stock however the bottle of 4711 has vanished from the site and not just listed out of stock? Any update on when it will be back? I got a sampler with my kit and i liked it.

If not could anyone recommend an alternative to 4711? Thanks
    There is one cologne available now and the aftershave version will be back by the end of next week if all goes as expected. The sample would have been of the cologne.

Advertisement