Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

So happy to have a company like this available in Ireland, as opposed to having to get in stuff from the US or the UK. Placed my second order there tonight. First big order since getting my starter kit this time last year from you guys. Also nice to negate the difference in the express post option using the boards.ie discount code.

I know you guys from shaving.ie are on here from time to time. Just want to know, do you have any plans to link in with Rod from Stirling Soaps to sell some of their stock? They have incredible scents and are a breeze to lather up! Would be nicer getting them from you guys instead of shavingtime.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Just wondering if the cella in the red tub is coming in anytime soon?

Have tried to order some stuff from this site "would like to support our own"but when I click on the product I require, all that comes up on the next page is the product information,and asking me for a review of that product.
    Cannot seem to find the shopping cart on this site.

"View Cart" is on the main navigation grey bar, beside the "Contact Us" option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The site is working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I'm looking for a new DE razor and I could do with some recommendations please. A few years ago I bought a Merkur Progress Long Handle. It probably wasn't the best move to make that my first DE razor purchase. I found it very heavy, didn't enjoy using it and returned to a mach 3 after a couple of months.

I'd like to re-try DE razors again so could anyone please recommend a razor that would be more appropriate for me to learn the DE razor ropes. I'm looking for something on the lighter side; albeit not a total mickey mouse razor.

All recommendations appreciated!

BTW, I see shaving.ie is now stocking the new TOBS shaving cream scents - Cedarwood and Peppermint - which I'm very much looking forward to sampling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I'm looking for a new DE razor and I could do with some recommendations please. A few years ago I bought a Merkur Progress Long Handle. It probably wasn't the best move to make that my first DE razor purchase. I found it very heavy, didn't enjoy using it and returned to a mach 3 after a couple of months.

I'd like to re-try DE razors again so could anyone please recommend a razor that would be more appropriate for me to learn the DE razor ropes. I'm looking for something on the lighter side; albeit not a total mickey mouse razor.

All recommendations appreciated!

BTW, I see shaving.ie is now stocking the new TOBS shaving cream scents - Cedarwood and Peppermint - which I'm very much looking forward to sampling.

I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 from shaving.ie last, no, two years ago and I've never looked back. Great razor, still my first and only DE/safety razor. (Great site).

Prenderb wrote: »
    I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 from shaving.ie last, no, two years ago and I've never looked back. Great razor, still my first and only DE/safety razor. (Great site).

+1 for this. Got it from shaving.ie as part of their beginners bundle. Great razor with great customer support from EJ too. Mine started to lose some of its plating. Got onto EJ and they sent me out a replacement head, a complementary pack of feathers and a few samples. All within 3 days of bringing it to their attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't seem to order,on mobile at least.
    New site is a disimprovement imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

What issue are you having with the mobile site? Looks fine on my end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Windsor EDT has been out of stock for a while. ETA until it's restocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I ordered some shaving cream and DE blades yesterday at about 2.30pm with standard delivery. I got them in the post this morning. You can't ask for better service than that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Running low on cream and almost out of my favourite blades so time for an order. Looking at the Speick Shaving Cream. Gets great reviews online. Anyone here use it and how would it compare with the Taylor of Old Bond St Sandalwood cream?

Might get some lotion too - haven't got any. Been using L'Oreal after shave moisturiser or Prorasa menthol post shave balm (almost out of that). Do you use both balm and lotion or just one or the other?

Final question - how does a soap stick work? Is that a brushless lather?

A shave stick is just a stick of soap. So wet your face, rub the shave stick on it and then lather on your face with a brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Used the Speick cream today for the first time. Absolutely fantastic. Great lather. Used less than i'd use the Taylor cream and still got enough for a 4 pass shave. Really smooth and great feeling from it. Finished off with the Speick splash and the face feels great. Quite often after a close shave the face feels dry and/or hot. Not this time. This is definitely a keeper cream and lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks looking for a little advice after having a browse of the thread.

I'm currently using a Gillette Fusion and if I'm in a rich I'll use an electronic foil razor. The problem is my face can be extremely sore/irritated/hot after shaving. I also tend to break out in spots/rash on my neck and chin area. From reading here I see alot of suggestions to try the safety razors.

I'm thinking of getting my Girlfriend to order me a starter set/creams/lotions/razor/brush etc for Christmas after all the positive reviews here.

What would you all recommend ?

I've never used a safety razor before and the only time I used a brush to lather was when my grandad showed me how to shave when I was 5 :D

Edwin Jagger DE89 is a good middle of the road razor and very reasonably priced. If you have very sensitive skin and deep pockets the Feather AS-D2 is about as mild as DE razors get without going for a vintage one like an old Gilette Tech.

In terms of blades, it's probably best to get a sample pack of a few different ones and work your way through them until you find one you like. They're dirt cheap so you can afford to get tons of them. Toss them after about 3 shaves or so.

All kinds of shaving creams/soaps available but it's very hard to beat the humble Palmolive stick - 69cent in Tesco or your local chemist. Lots of great ones from the likes of Taylor of old Bond Street/Trumpers etc but these will cost more and to be honest, they don't really perform that much better than the Palmolive in my experience.

Brush-wise, I've found that the L'Occitan Plisson runs rings around a lot of badger and boar hair brushes. It's an exceptionally good brush.

I've tried many aftershave balms but the Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser is what I've settled on.

Like emmetkenny, I used to get a lot of irritation which lead me to shave only a couple times a week. My wife was so used to my neck always looking red and angry she was amazed at the difference a few weeks after I switched. It was a real eye opener that I could learn to shave and my neck be happy and I could even shave every day if I wanted.

Great advice above, EJ89 is a great razor. Palmolive sticks lather easily and are cheap although you can always stick with canned goo in the beginning until you master the razor itself. I think it took me a lot longer to learn how to get a great lather than to learn the new razor. Great series of vids here worth checking out but don't get overwhelmed it is just cutting hairs from our faces in the end after all: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Palmolive sticks lather easily and are cheap although you can always stick with canned goo in the beginning until you master the razor itself.
    This http://www.shaving.ie/products/proraso-shaving-soap-bowl.html is my favourite, used with a bristle brush (I find the boar too fine to work well with soap; it's better with creams). The Proraso is a pleasure to use and lasts for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Hi guys,

I got some fantastic advice on buying a shaving kit for my husband last Christmas. He left his shaving brush in a hotel and needs a new one. He has a course beard so what would you suggest?

Thanking you in advance.

CS

Hi guys,

I got some fantastic advice on buying a shaving kit for my husband last Christmas. He left his shaving brush in a hotel and needs a new one. He has a course beard so what would you suggest?

Thanking you in advance.

CS

If it's just a brush he needs, I'd recommend the L'Occitan Plisson. My badger and boar brushes have been gathering dust since I got it. Brilliant brush.

• Advertisement

What's your budget? Does he use creams or soaps? Does he bowl lather or face lather?

A lot of people focus on the cost of the razor when they start out, but a good brush is really the biggest expense and makes a huge difference in the quality of the shave. You can spend €20 on another boar on up to €150 for a luxuriously soft yet firm silvertip badger which will perform much better and feels great too. On one hand, it sounds like a lot for a silly ol brush. But on the other hand it costs as much as a night in a hotel which is 1 night vs. a piece of equipment he'll use daily for 20 years (or a quality pair a shoes which will wear out long before this brush). Of course there are loads of viable options in-between but if you really want to spoil him this Christmas consider a dense silvertip.

In regards to what's available on shaving.ie I'm afraid Chris can't comment here himself due to boards strict rules for vendors but you can contact him directly. I'd recommend avoiding Muhle which makes beautiful brushes which aren't very dense so seem floppy. That might be fine if he uses creams and bowl lathers but not if he likes hard soaps or face lathers where you want enough backbone to really work the lather in there and work those whiskers which reduces ingrown hairs. HL Thater might be okay, but to go really top notch take a look at ShaveMac (http://www.shavemac.com) for top of the range quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Everyone's taste and preference varies, but I've been using brushes and razors for about four years now and, for what it's worth, here's my opinion :)

I've bought brushes by Thater, Shavemac, Simpsons, Muhle, Semogue, L'Occitane, Plisson and Fine. I've used badger, silvertip, boar and synthetic. I've used them with creams and soaps. And...

I find synthetic knots produce much better lather and are far easier to care for. The best at lathering (for me) is the Plisson synthetic knot, which is found in the L'Occitane brush and also in Plisson's own brushes. I think Plisson offer a range of handles that are much better that the one from L'Occitane. I like this one, as it represents great value for money. But you can see the whole range here.

On shaving.ie you will see some lovely brushes also. I have a few I got from that site, including the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, which is good but I prefer the Plisson if I have to choose. The Plisson is softer and more pliable in use. One definite advantage of shaving.ie is the prompt delivery, so it's worth looking at their silvertip range too.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with it.

I have one of the shaving.ir silvertip brushes and it is fantastic value for money.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/black-2-band-special.html

That one is the one I have.

Any sign of this case coming back in stock lads? Or anything like it?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/leather-case-for-safety-razor.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bren2002

Do they sell gift vouchers on that site? I can only see a €500 option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Ryath wrote: »
    boards.ie will give you a 5% discount

Is this still valid, nothing appears to happen when I enter it into the 'coupon' box other than the page refreshing?

Edit: Entering boards.ie at checkout resolved this, thanks to Chris for his help.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

Hey guys, not sure if it's too late to order from shaving.ie for Christmas delivery but just looking for some advice in the meantime. Looking to get a starter kit and have come up with the below, any tips welcome.

Razor: http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-r89-classic-razor.html
    Brush: http://www.shaving.ie/products/black-silvertip-special-iii.html
    Cream: http://www.shaving.ie/products/taylor-of-old-bond-st-grapefruit-shaving-cream-bowl.html
    Blades: http://www.shaving.ie/products/50-blade-premium-selection-sampler.html
    Styptic Pencil: http://www.shaving.ie/products/styptic-pencil.html

Some questions - any adjustments I should make to the above? Should I go for cream or soap? I presume I need to get a mug as well? Hoping to keep the total under the €100 mark. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

No mug need - a cereal bowl or your face can be used to lather. Creams are better for beginners, easier to lather. Styptic pencil is optional, not everyone uses them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

mugs11 wrote: »
    Hey guys, not sure if it's too late to order from shaving.ie for Christmas delivery but just looking for some advice in the meantime. Looking to get a starter kit and have come up with the below, any tips welcome.

Razor: http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-r89-classic-razor.html
    Brush: http://www.shaving.ie/products/black-silvertip-special-iii.html
    Cream: http://www.shaving.ie/products/taylor-of-old-bond-st-grapefruit-shaving-cream-bowl.html
    Blades: http://www.shaving.ie/products/50-blade-premium-selection-sampler.html
    Styptic Pencil: http://www.shaving.ie/products/styptic-pencil.html

Some questions - any adjustments I should make to the above? Should I go for cream or soap? I presume I need to get a mug as well? Hoping to keep the total under the €100 mark. Thanks!

Swap out the soap for lavender, and I got the exact same kit as your order here for Xmas last year.

Love the razor, fantastic weight to it, without being too heavy. I do have a small stainless steel bowl too. But I find lathering straight onto your face works best

• Advertisement

I'd go with a cream also but I'd get an Edwin Jagger DE89 over the Muhle R89. Exact same razor but as far as I know the finishing on the EJ is superior. From what I've heard their customer service is outstanding also.

Advertisement